Quick! I need a cheap super moisturizing conditioner...

HEHH

That's Herbal Essence Hello Hydration. If you want cheap try something else. If you want super moisture try Joico Intense Hydrator. If you want cheap and super moisturizing try HEHH.

I wouls love to go with a salon quality conditioner, but with tuition jumping to $30,000 and me being a double major (which means I can't work, because I have 50 hours of homework a week), I cannot afford anything above dirt cheap. Will my hair growth really suffer because of that?

No, your hair wont suffer just bc u cant buy expensive products. Your hair will grow and retain length by treating it properly and not damaging it by using too much heat, not moisturizing it enough, relaxing too often, etc. Yes there are certain products out there that may make it silkier or shinier, but for overall health the basics will do. Also, u can doctor up some of the cheaper products by adding honey and/or EVOO. If you need protein and dont have one, do an egg and mayo treatment. Or use Elasta QP breakage control serum (costs about 3 bucks) or Motions CPR. For moisture, ORS Replenishing has been the best thing since sliced bread for me if you want a deep conditioner. Cholesterol is also fine, but I would probably add some oil and honey to it.

By the way, u can get some of the salon brands like design essentials, keracare and mizani really cheap online (I usually order from sheldeez.com). It will run u maybe a dollar or two more than the cheap bss store stuff.

HEHH

That's Herbal Essence Hello Hydration. If you want cheap try something else. If you want super moisture try Joico Intense Hydrator. If you want cheap and super moisturizing try HEHH.

It IS a very moisturizing conditioner...my hair loves it. Dont know why I didnt repurchase it....oh yeah the pj in me wanted to try the pin straight one by that brand. Ive gone thru about 3 bottles of HEHH!

I wouls love to go with a salon quality conditioner, but with tuition jumping to $30,000 and me being a double major (which means I can't work, because I have 50 hours of homework a week), I cannot afford anything above dirt cheap. Will my hair growth really suffer because of that?

No but you will have to learn where you can cut corner and where you can't. I personally can use just about any shampoo but I can't with conditioner. I scrimp where I can so that I have money for my more expensive stuff. On sale, many salon products are just as much as some drugstore stuff. Sometimes I see Neutrogena conditioner for nearly 7 bucks...

Girl I'm a broke college student also I will add you to my buddy list maybe we can share cheap product secrets :grin:

I would say Ors replenishing pack($1.29)

Vo5 conditioners($.99) as a rinse is you have a good condish but it dont have slip

Walgreens also sells little sample sizes of products(like bioinfusions) so if your money is running low go pick up a little sample size to get you through

ORS Replenishing Paks will give you the best bang for your buck!

I agree with Lesley C. I sometimes add coconut milk and honey to my conditioners for major moisture. You can always freeze the coconut milk if you don't want to use the whole can. Try and look for the thickest milk possible as it does get a bit sticky. I have heard that you can use coconut cream - but I haven't tried this yet. HTH

ORS Replenishing Paks will give you the best bang for your buck!

But I don't think it is that cheap. Well, technically it is, but since she is trying not to spend a lot. The average price I see those going for is $1.99 or more. To get one (2 if you use it VERY sparingly) uses out of it, only to have to go buy more, you end up spending the same as any other conditioner.

Suave Humectant conditioner
Aussie Moist
Le Kair Cholesterol
I have used Queen Helene in the past but I prefer Le Kair.

But I don't think it is that cheap. Well, technically it is, but since she is trying not to spend a lot. The average price I see those going for is $1.99 or more. To get one (2 if you use it VERY sparingly) uses out of it, only to have to go buy more, you end up spending the same as any other conditioner.

this is true....at least u get a little bit better deal if you buy the big 23 oz bottle for around 12 bucks.....that means an 8oz bottle would come out be about 4 bucks, which isnt bad for such a good conditioner. Thats about the same price as the pantene mask if u think about it in ounces.

this is true....at least u get a little bit better deal if you buy the big 23 oz bottle for around 12 bucks.....that means an 8oz bottle would come out be about 4 bucks, which isnt bad for such a good conditioner. Thats about the same price as the pantene mask if u think about it in ounces.

That is not bad at all!

step 1. go to ____ (target, wal-mart)
step 2. go to "black" hair care section.
step 3. pick up the Cream of Nature conditioner with the purple cap.
step 4. go to food section.
step 5. pick up some honey.
step 6. purchase, and go home.
step 7. mix 2 together.
step 8. slather all over hair.

voila! moisture!!!

and all for less than $7! :yep:

nah for real though, that is THE most moisturizing combination i've found.

If you want true moisture, not just something that makes your hair feel good while it's wet in the shower, then I think you should try to go with a salon quality brand.

ITTTA with this. However....

When I was a poor broke college student I too could not afford the better quality salon products. To the OP I understand. For some people broke means chosing between going out or buying salon products. For others (like moi) broke means chosing between paying for gas or buying salon products. At one point during my school dayz, it cost me $40 to fill up my tank. $40 will buy me an entire Joico collection, but I have to get back and forth to work and school.
Sometimes you have to go cheap. I didn't have anyone to help me at all through college. I worked 2 jobs, in 2 different states (yes I did) for 4 months and that still barely covered my car payment( which wasn't that high), insurance, title, books, food, GAS:blush: and whatever else. After all that, to try and buy high end shampoo and conditioner? Sometimes all you really can afford is cheap. But cheap doesn't have to mean poor quality and HEHH is a perfect example of that. Now that I'm a career woman, I can afford the best there is (which for me is Joico).

You want cheap and super moisturizing? Just ask your LHCF sistas. We'll hook ya up!:yep:

step 1. go to ____ (target, wal-mart)
step 2. go to "black" hair care section.
step 3. pick up the Cream of Nature conditioner with the purple cap.
step 4. go to food section.
step 5. pick up some honey.
step 6. purchase, and go home.
step 7. mix 2 together.
step 8. slather all over hair.

voila! moisture!!!

and all for less than $7! :yep:

nah for real though, that is THE most moisturizing combination i've found.

Really.......I am going to try this. I have that con conditioner already

I used the ORS packs ($1.18 each @ Wal-mart) for the 1st time this weekend & I think this is the way to go for cheap & super moisturizing.

SO... I am a poor college student and I am having trouble finding a good cheap moisturizing conditioner...any suggestions? I already use Profective, but I'm starting to think it's not working all that well, at least not like it used to. Any and all input is welcome.

Matter of fact, can ya'll just give me some good drug store finds for me dry, colored hair? Moisturizers, shampoos, conditioners, or anything else that has helped you on your hair journey.

Thanks ladies, and have a lovely week!

Suave, Herbal essence ( the old pink bottle ), and for a couple more dollars Motions.......have you thought about hot oil treatments? I tried two so far one last week and one this week and my hair loved it...they only cost $2 or so....

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but Trader Joe's makes some excellent, super moisturizing, dirt cheap conditioners. I use them for co-washing and I love it! I don't know if your school is near a Trader Joe's, though, or how accessible it is to you.

ITTTA with this. However....

When I was a poor broke college student I too could not afford the better quality salon products. To the OP I understand. For some people broke means chosing between going out or buying salon products. For others (like moi) broke means chosing between paying for gas or buying salon products. At one point during my school dayz, it cost me $40 to fill up my tank. $40 will buy me an entire Joico collection, but I have to get back and forth to work and school.
Sometimes you have to go cheap. I didn't have anyone to help me at all through college. I worked 2 jobs, in 2 different states (yes I did) for 4 months and that still barely covered my car payment( which wasn't that high), insurance, title, books, food, GAS:blush: and whatever else. After all that, to try and buy high end shampoo and conditioner? Sometimes all you really can afford is cheap. But cheap doesn't have to mean poor quality and HEHH is a perfect example of that. Now that I'm a career woman, I can afford the best there is (which for me is Joico).

You want cheap and super moisturizing? Just ask your LHCF sistas. We'll hook ya up!:yep:

Thanks for the understanding. I'm living off rocks and donations!!! I have to scrimp where I can, and it's eat this week or buy a $20 shampoo? Eh, I don't think so...my mother would kill me.

Dove Intense Moisture Therapy (dark blue bottle) works amazing :yep:. It's my staple conditioner.

ORS Replenishing packs
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration
Pantene Relaxed & Natural Breakage Defense mask
Aussie Moist
Dove Sheer Moisture line
Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol
White Rain Tropical Coconut
Pantene Smooth & Sleek
Pantene Nourishing Mask

I agree that you can always doctor your products up with additives like EVOO, Coconut oil, honey, or whatever. If you haven't already, try an oil wash and see how that works for you. Don't worry about not being able to buy the more expensive products. They are no guarantee of longer, healthier hair. You will be just fine with the cheapies. :yep:

I find the V05 Moisture Milks line moisturizing. They are so cheap that I can use half a bottle during a cowash and not feel a bit guilty about it!

Last edited:
Back