Questions about my hair (with pic).

Hello everyone! :grin:

So I'm new to LHCF forums and I'm trying to get with the program of knowing my hair and what to do with it. For starters, I'm not sure if I have 4a, 4b or 4c hair - I've attached a picture for your viewing pleasure.

Second question is: Given the season (dry, chilly, etc), would my hair make do with protective styles despite its length? What styles would you suggest, if so?

In the long run, I'd LOVE to have below shoulder to bra-strap length natural hair. Am I being a tad unrealistic? I ask because from the looks of it, the gals who attain this length or longer seem to have a propensity for longer hair anyways (I see pictures of ladies starting out with bra-strap length hair (or SL hair) and finally reaching their goal of WL hair. Are there posters with long 4 a/b/c natural hair with beginnings or stories similar to mine? For more context, I've almost always had relaxed, above neck length hair with issues:sad:. Dramatic testimonials welcome...lol.

Any other hair tips and suggestions will be wholly appreciated!

068.jpg

Please click image above to enlarge photo

Type 4? hair. To spruce up your TWA: comb coils, mini twists, wash n go your styling options will obviously increase with length, but optimal health should be your focus at this stage of the game.

Thia board is full of testimonials from ladies who have grown their hair from TWA (and shorter) to awesome lengths.

Hello everyone! :grin:

So I'm new to LHCF forums and I'm trying to get with the program of knowing my hair and what to do with it. For starters, I'm not sure if I have 4a, 4b or 4c hair - I've attached a picture for your viewing pleasure.

Second question is: Given the season (dry, chilly, etc), would my hair make do with protective styles despite its length? What styles would you suggest, if so?

In the long run, I'd LOVE to have below shoulder to bra-strap length natural hair. Am I being a tad unrealistic? I ask because from the looks of it, the gals who attain this length or longer seem to have a propensity for longer hair anyways (I see pictures of ladies starting out with bra-strap length hair (or SL hair) and finally reaching their goal of WL hair. Are there posters with long 4 a/b/c natural hair with beginnings or stories similar to mine? For more context, I've almost always had relaxed, above neck length hair with issues:sad:. Dramatic testimonials welcome...lol.

Any other hair tips and suggestions will be wholly appreciated!

View attachment 24929

Please click image above to enlarge photo

It looks like your hair type is 4b and looking at your length maybe you can do comb coils as a protective style using ORS Lock and Twist Gel.:yep:

Naija, I don't think you are being unrealistic. It might require a little searching, but there are plenty of threads on type 4s with long hair, people who started with short hair and now have long hair, etc. In a recently bumped thread called something like "if you're 100% black with long hair, raise your hand" I saw a few stories of people who had had short hair most of their lives (at least most of their relaxed lives) and now had long hair. No reason to think you can't, too.

You seem like a 4b. I good way to tell is to wash your hair, shake it and see if it starts to clump into little curls...If it stays looking like a cloud than it is probably 4B..If it clumps, it is 4A...I don't know if that makes sense...i am a 4b and my daughter is 4A..that is what made it easy for me to hair type because my hair looks nothing like my daughter. I will put product on her hair and it curls up..I put product on mine and it looks the same just greasy

You look like a 4b to me but it really depends as someone else stated. My daughter is 4A and her hair looks nothing like mine. Her curls are looser when her hair is wet and mine are much tighter.

I've NEVER had hair that went past my neck! I didn't really care so I just wore weaves for over ten years....until November 2007 when I started getting sew ins. Not because I wanted my hair to grow, but I was tired of the glue.

Then...MY hair seemed to thrive under them. I got curious and felt like, "If I can grow my hair to the length of my weave, then I wouldn't need it!"

Now I'm a little over two inches to APL.....and I can't wait to see how long it will get now!

Last edited:
yes, it looks like 4b or the Cnaps category. The good thing about that texture is that
it holds well with any type of twists and braids and they make a fierce braid out or twist out.
Your hair will grow as long as you take good care of it. My hair grows about 1/4 in per month or less and I had long hair my whole life, i just retained what I had and i did get a perm until i was a teen and only wore it for a few years. With patience and loving every stage and lenghth of your hair, it will return the favor. Congrats to going natural and enjoy your journey.

Back