Question regarding WGO and Castor Oil

classycrimson

Good morning Ladies!!! I am new to the boards, although I have been lurking for about a month....you guys are soooo knowledgeable!! And you seem so sweet and supportive:)

Anywhoo....Some history on me...I've always been a "slave" to the hairdresser, believing that 2 weeks of "hair sins " can be corrected magically by a bimonthly visit to the beauty salon...and anything they can't correct is just because your hair "won't grow", or is naturally weak or what have you. About a yr ago, I went to my regular salon visit and received a touchup....the stylist usually knows what she's doing (although visiting her would usually be a 6 hr marathon session...which i religiously did every 2 weeks to "stay fly"..lol) but her assistants can be iffy.....well this particular assistant ended up ripping out most of the left bottom quarter of my hair...leaving me with 1/2 inch sections in my shoulder length hair...a big handful was in the trash..I saw it..and my hair had been doing so well!! it wasn't the end of the world....although that side was thin, I have thick hair and could partially disguise some of it.....the worst was the $90 I had to pay and the 8 hrs I spent at the salon!! Then i ended up getting bonded in tracks and keeping them for a week too long (I know, terrible idea...hey, I had a big show to do:) Anyway....After some cornrows and several haircuts, that area has almost come back....the aforementioned sections are all around 6 inches long:) My hair is at the bottom of my neck now...and creeping down.

So I've been reading the boards, and making it a point to keep my hair oiled (with this wonderful carrot tea tree oil that I love) and sleep in my bonnet every night...and I get my hair washed weekly now and rollerset and deep conditioned. Miraculously, my hair seems softer and healthier and u can no longer tell when its "time to get my hair done again". Also, much less hair comes out when I run my fingers through it. The left side still has a little catch up to do...as far as fullness is concerned (any suggestions here would be helpful). But i notice it doesnt shed as much. I have purchased WGO and Castor Oil. These both seem to help soften my new groth and I'm wondering if they can be used interchangeably or affect different things.

And for the S-Curl users, the one in the gray bottle with blue writing....do you use this all over or just to soften roots? When i use sparingly all over at night, I'll wake up with very soft hair!! I'm a relaxed 4a/b....that weak spot in the back of my head that was ripped out is more b than a (which may explain its vulnerability)....the rest is more a than b:). Thank you guys so much for all the info you've given me already:)

Maybe one day I'll evolve like u guys and be able to do my own rollersets...:) I love the empowerment and the spirit that u guys have:)

i just wanted to say welcome!!!!!

WGO is an oldie but goodie and i've used it for about 3 years on and off now...its defintely a good oil. I used it on wet hair, dry hair, sometims on my scalp, it was always consistent.

I have not had any experience with castor oil, so i cannot offer any advie or reviews.. HTH

Classy,
Welcome. You sound like me. I used to get my hair done once every two weeks, but abused it and it was never as healthy as it is now. I'm saving money this way, and you will too.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
well this particular assistant ended up ripping out most of the left bottom quarter of my hair...leaving me with 1/2 inch sections in my shoulder length hair...a big handful was in the trash..I saw it..

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
She ripped out your hair while she has doing a touch-up?! Lord have mercy! What are they teaching these people in beauty school?
confused.gif

I used WGO after shampooing to keep my hair from puffing up while I air-dried. Sometimes I applied it once more during the week. It did a great job of keeping my relaxed hair soft and moisturized.

Castor oil is good for the hairline and for pre-shampoo oil treatments. I mix it with shea oil, avocado butter, jojoba oil, kukui nut oil and olive oil.

my new growth comes in thick and some stylists think this means they have to fight with it to relax it. That's not true...it's still hair and very delicate:)

[ QUOTE ]
my new growth comes in thick and some stylists think this means they have to fight with it to relax it. That's not true...it's still hair and very delicate:)

[/ QUOTE ]

So true. I think I have a thinning spot because of the ill treatment I go from my last touchup. The lady nearly lifted my head out of its socket. I'm like she trying to rip through every strand of hair in my scalp. I'm glad I made it out of there with hair still on my head. sometimes they are so rough with no regard to the person they are styling.
mad.gif
mad.gif
God bless you all.

gabrielle_union.jpg

Welcome!
wave.gif

I don't like WGO.

I love castor oil. I love anything that has different purposes. I use it on my feet when it swells because it reduces swelling and increases circulation. I also use it on my hairline and it's also in my oil mixture: castor, rosemary, coconut, and jojoba.

I think castor oil is making my hair thick again like it was years ago. Slowly but surely!
smile.gif

I have used both WGO and Castor oil.

I favor the castor oil. It's quite thick but it does not leave a greesy feel to my hair. Then again I always add it to my damp hair mixed with a bit of conditioner. My hair has gotten very soft since.

Most oils tent to leave my hair dry and hard but the castor oil works beautifuly.

[ QUOTE ]
I have used both WGO and Castor oil.

I favor the castor oil. It's quite thick but it does not leave a greesy feel to my hair. Then again I always add it to my damp hair mixed with a bit of conditioner. My hair has gotten very soft since.

Most oils tent to leave my hair dry and hard but the castor oil works beautifuly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This could not be further from the truth. I recently put some in my conditioner, and it made my hair even softer.....
trampoline.gif
trampoline.gif
trampoline.gif
trampoline.gif

I love castor oil, I use the WGO too but it smells horrible imo. I know for sure I won't be using it in the summer. We had a nice day last month and it totally stunk up the park I was having my lunch in. LOL
My granny swears castor oil makes the hair thick.

What type of Castor Oil do you all use. I have some Castor oil in a brown bottle that I got from Walmart. I also use Castor Oil by ALLWAYS (hair grease it has a pink top) I purchased that from SALLY's. So is there a difference in what type of Castor Oil used?

I use caribbean/west indian castor oil. I think the one I have at home is made in Trinidad. Sorry I can't remember the name. The ALWAYS castor oil is not the real thing. I'm quite sure it has other stuff in it.

I like the jamaican/caribbean style castor oils, too. I can't find any around here, though. I ordered online from jamaicaplace.com. The Tropic Isle brand is really nice.

I just went to the drug store and bought pure castor oil....in the laxative section!!Anyway...i've been using it around my perimeters...and I've been using WGO on my ends...sometimes with a touch of castor oil when i need a moisture boost....when it's closer to touch up time, it's easier to use more castor oil...one of my girlfriends uses it and LOVES it...she's been getting lots of compliments on her short, newly moisturized 'do.

I use the Home Health brand of castor oil. I got a 32 oz. bottle from Puritian's Pride for $7 or $8. I used WGO a long time ago. That small bottle is about $8.

[ QUOTE ]
What type of Castor Oil do you all use. I have some Castor oil in a brown bottle that I got from Walmart. I also use Castor Oil by ALLWAYS (hair grease it has a pink top) I purchased that from SALLY's. So is there a difference in what type of Castor Oil used?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use the Castor Oil inthe brown bottle from Walmart too, It works for me
smile.gif

Back