QUESTION: Oil Treatments & Co-Washes

**WonderWoman**

Hello Ladies

I've read great comments on here about oil treatments (overnight and under a dryer). I also got fantastic tips on co-washing ( I used to co-wash so I know how good it is for rentetion). This weekend i'm going to treat my hair to some overnight coconut oil and a Suave Coconut co-wash. I just don't know if I can co-wash oil out of my hair. :ohwell: Wouldn't I need something stronger than a conditioner to properly remove the oil?

Have any of you done a co-wash right after an oil treatment???? :perplexed

You will be pleasantly surprised when you find out that oil actually dissolves in conditioner. This is the same principle at the base of oil rinses, where you rinse out the excess oil using conditioner (there are some threads about it).

This happens because conditioners are made of water + oil + emulsifiers. Emulsifiers bind together water and oils (resulting in a creamy substance). The emulsifier in your conditioner binds to the oil on your hair and it takes it off.
In fact, you will find out that sometimes oil seems to dissolve better in conditioner than it does in shampoo (this is my experience at least).

It works even better if you leave the conditioner on for a little while (or you deep condition with it). If you see you have used too much oil, then you can simply condition and rinse again until you are satisfied.

Last edited:
Ciccina, your answer is very informative. If the co-wash works for you i'm pretty sure it'll work just as well on my hair .... I see we're hair sisters! Lol

I can't wait to do my treatment and co-wash! Will definitely leave the conditioner in my hair. Thaaaanks so much, Ciccina

^^ Although, that theory works on my hair, it doesn't seem to quite work with my scalp :(

OP, I think you might benefit from reading this thread "Don't sleep on oil-rinses!". It's pretty much the same concept. Also do a search on "oil rinse" here because I think a few of us do it a bit differently.

Good luck hair sister, I hope you'll love it! :-)

Urban, yeah I too have a strange scalp that refuses to cooperate with oils and conditioners, so I leave it alone unless I shampoo and my co-washes are on the length only...

Back