Question: How Do You Chickadees Keep Your Twists From Unraveling?

kblc06

This is one style besides the twist/braid out that I have yet to conquer. My hair almost immediately unravels when I attempt to twist it and even does so with braids. I see people like Empressri, KCCurly, Nonie, etc with great twists that seem immune to unraveling. Even my braids unravel themselves and I can never wear them more than 3.5 weeks. I've even tried locing creme wax. So....how do you accomplish this style (and make it last for more than 1 day). Sometimes I get so frustrated that I just slick my hair back in a ponytail :ohwell:

First I make sure that my sections aren't too big. My ends are really blunt because of my chop and when my twist are too big they unravel the minute I let them go. When I twist I roll roll the hair a little between my fingers as I'm twisting. Once I get to the end of the twist roll the ends between my fingers.the hairs sorta curl around each other keeping them from unraveling

I have the same issue. I've tried different sizes, different products. The only thing that seems to work better for me is UFD extra butter and the "rope twisting" method, I heard it's similar to senegalese twisting method.

First I make sure that my sections aren't too big. My ends are really blunt because of my chop and when my twist are too big they unravel the minute I let them go. When I twist I roll roll the hair a little between my fingers as I'm twisting. Once I get to the end of the twist roll the ends between my fingers.the hairs sorta curl around each other keeping them from unraveling

Exactly. Sort of twirl the ends of your hair around your finger(like a shy girl). I twist my hair after wash, this helps.

AA

My natural hair texture (4b) keeps it from unraveling.

In the non-4b parts of my head, my twists unravel sometimes. I heard gel helps though.

I'm 3c 4a and my hair has never unraveled. Maybe try smaller twists and use gel or Shea butter. Hope you find a way to keep them from unraveling. I love kinky twists.

I have the same problem Kblc...:nono: I want to wear twists to badly but they just unravel :(

I was actually going to ask if you wore twist since our hair textures are so similar.

I have the same issue. I've tried different sizes, different products. The only thing that seems to work better for me is UFD extra butter and the "rope twisting" method, I heard it's similar to senegalese twisting method.

I've never heard of this twisting method, do you have an example? Thanks :grin:

Exactly. Sort of twirl the ends of your hair around your finger(like a shy girl). I twist my hair after wash, this helps.

AA

The 3a parts of my hair, that accounts for a good chunk of the front & crown of my hair, doesn't really curl at the ends- it acts more like fluffy waves. I normally attempt to do my twists wet, but I find that it only lasts slightly longer than dry twists and look rather scalpy

My natural hair texture (4b) keeps it from unraveling.

In the non-4b parts of my head, my twists unravel sometimes. I heard gel helps though.

I've tried locing gel and beeswas, but they don't really work to well and often leave my hair somewhat matted :ohwell:

^^^^ no i don't wear them, although I really want to. I can only keep my twists intact for a few hours so that I can to a twist out. Sometimes i just braid the ends.

If your ends are blunt cut, you will more likely have that problem. I avoided a blunt trim for that reason. I suggest you stop twisting further up your hair and twirl or rod the rest of it.

I use barrettes to hold the ends together while I'm twisting. When I'm done, I replace the barrettes with some type of soft covered hair roller like a wrap snap and go. Usually my hair is damp or wet and I always seal with oil or **gasp** vaseline. I place several twists together on a single roller. I roll approximately 1/4 to 1/2 of the length of hair. Next I tie it all down with my trusty silk scarf. I leave them in overnight or until my hair is almost completely dry. Once I remove the rollers I have a nice curl that does not unravel at the end. This also helps me to keep the delicate ends of my hair away from sweaters, turtle neck collars, scarves, and coats during this time of year. This is the only method that I've found that works for me. I am transitioning and have about 3 different types of hair on my head:spinning:. HTH

Back