Question for those who self relax

sweetcocoa

Does anyone have any success applying the relaxer to the back sections of their hair? I have tried looking in the mirror, but it is very hit or miss trying to apply the relaxer to the new growth. I end up with under processed areas. :sad:

Any tricks or tips?

Okay I basically used a tint bursh and hoped for the best. I didnt try to look in the mirror.

I think the best thing would be for you to find someone to help you and let you know if yours overlapping.

Also some women here said they use their fingers to apply the relaxer in the back because they can feel how much new growth they have.

Good luck!!

Self relaxing takes practice.

The week before I relax when I do my final shampoo/condition I do NOTHING to lay down/tame/subdue my new growth. This leaves all the bumps and ridges easy to discern by touch. When I get ready to relax I apply Phytospecific Revitalizing Oil Treatment to all of my previously relaxed hair as a protectant. I apply the relaxer to the new growth with my gloved fingers - only by touch. If I do inadvertently overlap, my hair is protected, but I don't overlap much because I can feel exactly where the ridges are. I don't even attempt to do it using a mirror; I would probably confuse myself looking at a reverse image.

I have read that some people have practiced doing an application using conditioner. You could try that too and then check your accuracy in a mirror...

Junglette on youtube (she's on here, too) has a method of using plastic clips to separate the new growth. I apply conditioner or vaseline to the previously relaxed hair and part the hair in small sections and place a clip at the top of newgrowth before applying the relaxer. That works really well.

Then I use a sprush to apply relaxer to NG in the front (rinse and neutralize and leave the neutralizer in) and my fingers to apply just to the new growth in the back. (rinse, neutralize, leave in for 5 minutes and rinse it all together.)

The conditioner or vaseline is a kind of buffer.

ETA - here is junglette's link.

Last edited:
I have a detailed self relaxing guide (the half half method) in my fotki journal. Take a look and PM me if you have more questions. You definately need 2 mirrors positioned perfectly.

Thanks ladies!

choppybob, thanks for the link to Junglette on youtube (on my way to check it out...) :yep:

soulie, practicing with conditioner first and not laying down the new growth before relaxing are both good ideas I will incorporate into my routine, thanks. :yep:

Also several of you mentioned using my gloved fingers. I was using a touch up brush all over, but next time I will only for the front, but for the crown and back I will use my fingers. :yep:

Ekaette, thanks for the bump :grinwink:

Thanks !

I have a detailed self relaxing guide (the half half method) in my fotki journal. Take a look and PM me if you have more questions. You definately need 2 mirrors positioned perfectly.

lonei,

I just checked out your self relaxing journal. You have some great tips. Thanks. :yep:

I have to use my fingers too. It makes it easier for me. I also start coating my hair with cantu cream 3 days prior to relaxing in the back sections for extra protection.

The week before I relax when I do my final shampoo/condition I do NOTHING to lay down/tame/subdue my new growth. This leaves all the bumps and ridges easy to discern by touch. When I get ready to relax I apply Phytospecific Revitalizing Oil Treatment to all of my previously relaxed hair as a protectant. I apply the relaxer to the new growth with my gloved fingers - only by touch. If I do inadvertently overlap, my hair is protected, but I don't overlap much because I can feel exactly where the ridges are. I don't even attempt to do it using a mirror; I would probably confuse myself looking at a reverse image.

I have read that some people have practiced doing an application using conditioner. You could try that too and then check your accuracy in a mirror...

This is exactly what I do. :yep: I also part my hair vertically in the back and use the relaxer like I'm greasing my scalp. This is also why stretching is so benificial you get more new growth and it's easier to feel your way.:yep:

This is exactly what I do. :yep: I also part my hair vertically in the back and use the relaxer like I'm greasing my scalp. This is also why stretching is so benificial you get more new growth and it's easier to feel your way.:yep:

In the past when trying :wallbash: to do the back myself, I parted across. But I can see how vertical may be easier.

Thanks.

I pre-section my hair so I don't have to worry about doing that. I also use gloves that allow me to feel my newgrowth so I can tell exactly where to put the relaxer.

IMG01407-vi.jpg

Back