Question for the natural ladies....

Shatani

i know that a lot of us wear twists for extended periods and i wondered about locking....ive noticed that the back of my head seems more prone to merging (and probably locking if i dont do something about it) than the front...

have any of you noticed that certain parts or sections of your hair lock up faster than others?? just wondering if this is normal /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
~T~

i WAS JUST GOING TO BRING THIS UP!!!
i JUST took my twists out, and was getting sad because i merge on the ends after a week and you know it leads to breakage. i put some aubreys gpb on the ends of the twist before unraveling each one and it helped ALOT.

its also good to take down twists when the hair is wet and has conditioner on it. the gpb on the ends might be what i do when i want to wear a twistout.

anyway, my crown doesnt really merge as much because the texture is different and softer. it just occured to me that the sides may merge more because sleepping on the them squashes them together.

how do you deal with merging? do you get lots of breakage?

I would say about 75% of my hair merges or begins to lock when my hair is in twists. This happens in less than a week if I rinse or wash my twists. The only solution I have to deal with this problem is to not rinse or wash my twists at all. Allowing the hair to merge can cause big time problems when it's time to take those twists down.

I wash my hair while in twists and redo them every 7-10 days. As long as my hair remains damp as I redo them (I keep a spray bottle handy for the later ones), I don't have any problem with locking.

[ QUOTE ]
i WAS JUST GOING TO BRING THIS UP!!!
i JUST took my twists out, and was getting sad because i merge on the ends after a week and you know it leads to breakage. i put some aubreys gpb on the ends of the twist before unraveling each one and it helped ALOT.

its also good to take down twists when the hair is wet and has conditioner on it. the gpb on the ends might be what i do when i want to wear a twistout.

anyway, my crown doesnt really merge as much because the texture is different and softer. it just occured to me that the sides may merge more because sleepping on the them squashes them together.

how do you deal with merging? do you get lots of breakage?

[/ QUOTE ]you know, mine merge at the roots, not at the ends...my ends tend to unravel and curl up real cute like /images/graemlins/smile.gif

i dont know...mine doesnt merge for a little while...at least it didnt this time...the only thing i did different was put the twists in big braids before going to bed...i dont see how that would have helped...

Hi,

I wear my twists in for a month without redoing them. I "wash" my twists every week and I have no problems with locking.

How long do you leave your twists in Shatani?

-Ebony

I get knots /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif but I dont keep my twists in for more than two days becasue I look like a kid and the twistout is much cuter. When my hair gets longer, Ill wear my twists more often.

My hair doesn't really try to merge after a week of twist but I think the differences in the tendency to lock between areas of your head are probably due to texture differences. I know that the texture of my hair in the very top of my hair is very different from the sides and the back. When it was shorter I even had a difficult time getting the twist to stay in.

how do you ladies moisturize your twists without getting them wet? you dont use leave-ins or anything like that?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

I wear my twists in for a month without redoing them. I "wash" my twists every week and I have no problems with locking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I just removed a set of twists that ive been wearing for about a month now. I washed them at least 1-2 times a week and my hair hasnt locked.

If you decide to go this route make sure you dont scrub extremely hard and swish your twists all over your head when washing. And when it comes time for take down spread some conditioner on your hair and let it marinate for a while to make it easier to detangle.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I just removed a set of twists that ive been wearing for about a month now. I washed them at least 1-2 times a week and my hair hasnt locked.

If you decide to go this route make sure you dont scrub extremely hard and swish your twists all over your head when washing. And when it comes time for take down spread some conditioner on your hair and let it marinate for a while to make it easier to detangle.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats a good idea. I always thought that I couldnt wash them thinking that they would unravel. But you could easily get way with it because your hair is longer. mines seems too short. Ill try it anyway to see how it turns out /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

How long do you leave your twists in Shatani?

-Ebony

[/ QUOTE ]this is the longest ive worn them...for two weeks...but i LOVE to rinse my twists, and i do it pretty often...i read somewher over at nappturality that rinsing your twists can speed along the locking process...

Back