Question for Relaxer Stretchers

janeemat

Anyone 10-12 wks post relaxer now that would normally relax at this point, but is thinking about going longer? I'm scheduled to get my relaxer on Feb 20th which would be at 12 wks, but I don't know if I really want to. I have not officially made the appt yet, but this is the week I generally would. I guess since I have not had any major problems is why I'm feeling a bit reluctant. I guess I'll see how my mid week wash goes this week and then decide. I am ready for straight hair, but I'm enjoying the way things are going now, at least for the moment.

I usually stretch 12 weeks, but since I've been deep conditioning 3x's a week, I didn't feel the need to since my newgrowth was acting so right.

If you wanna wait, go for it! See how far you can go! :D

I'm going 12 weeks, and since my hair is braided I no longer feel the need to relax it. I've been thinking about going natural or texlaxing.

I usually stretch 12 weeks, but since I've been deep conditioning 3x's a week, I didn't feel the need to since my newgrowth was acting so right.

If you wanna wait, go for it! See how far you can go! :D

I feel the same way. I am 8 right now and even though my wash last night was a disaster, I think I can hold out longer than 12 this time around. I am going to get to atleast 12 and then take it week to week from there. I think I could really do 14 though. If I get to 14 though, whats another 2 to get to 16? :ohwell:

I'll be 14 weeks this weekend, and I had big plans to touch up Saturday...but now I'm thinking I might hold out 2 more weeks and go a cool 4 months!!

I agree with Tiffers about the constant DCing helps keep the NG in check.

The longest I have gone is 14 wks. That was last yr around Sept. I guess I will take it day by day to see what happens.

I'm going until the 29th which will be 14 wks. I normally go to 8. Though I'm DCing, adding SAA, and babying in general, this is my first attempt at stretching so I want to take my time.

Though my shedding (which had nothing to do with the stretch) has slowed down, hair feels like silk, I still don't know the true condition of my hair. I say this because my hair is bunned 6 days a week and twistouts 1 day. The twist out is kinda kinky and fuzzy so I can't truly gage my hairs overall health.

Sounds a little weird, but this first stretch is a test, once I relax and can magnify my straight ends and look at my straight roots to see if there was any crown damage I dont feel comfortable going beyond 14 wks the first time.

I believe all has gone well, but once I verify this, next time I'll go for 4 months - Plus, my bun is looking punky from lo mani and that hair underneath is at war.

I feel the same way. I am 8 right now and even though my wash last night was a disaster, I think I can hold out longer than 12 this time around. I am going to get to atleast 12 and then take it week to week from there. I think I could really do 14 though. If I get to 14 though, whats another 2 to get to 16? :ohwell:

What happen Gym? 16wks have been my goal, but I have never gone that long.

What happen Gym? 16wks have been my goal, but I have never gone that long.

GIRL Lemme tell you, I started on my hair at around midnight.....I didn't get to bed until 5am. It was THAT bad. I know what I did wrong though and I should have known better. I deep conditioned at my last wash with kenra and I haven't used protein in a while so I felt like I needed some. My hair felt a little too soft. No biggie right, just add a little protein. Well, I orginally was going to use motions silk protein conditioner for 10 minutes and then rinse and follow with kenra but I used duo tex instead. I don't know why I changed my mind because since deep conditioning more often, I shouldn't have brought out the BIG guns.......I left the kenra in for close to an hour and my hair was still hard and hair was coming out everywhere. I had to hop back in the shower and rewash twice before it let up and even then it still isn't right. I then sat under the dryer for about 30 minutes just letting my hair hang to dry it because there was NO way I was getting rollers in that. I then had to flat iron which took 2 hours all together because I was slowly detangling as I went in really small sections. My hair looked good after I was done though. I haven't flat ironed in a long while so I got to see my length. I have had alot of shedding lately so I was afraid that my hair would look shorter but it doesn't which means it was shedding and not really breakage. I was just praying that I could get it to look decent enough to last me just two days to give my hair time to chill out before rewashing. I did see 3 or 4 split ends floating around so I will probably dust at the end of the month. I am still getting rid of some BONE straight ends. I only have an inch left to go though compared to 3 when I started trimming it off.

GIRL Lemme tell you, I started on my hair at around midnight.....I didn't get to bed until 5am. It was THAT bad. I know what I did wrong though and I should have known better. I deep conditioned at my last wash with kenra and I haven't used protein in a while so I felt like I needed some. My hair felt a little too soft. No biggie right, just add a little protein. Well, I orginally was going to use motions silk protein conditioner for 10 minutes and then rinse and follow with kenra but I used duo tex instead. I don't know why I changed my mind because since deep conditioning more often, I shouldn't have brought out the BIG guns.......I left the kenra in for close to an hour and my hair was still hard and hair was coming out everywhere. I had to hop back in the shower and rewash twice before it let up and even then it still isn't right. I then sat under the dryer for about 30 minutes just letting my hair hang to dry it because there was NO way I was getting rollers in that. I then had to flat iron which took 2 hours all together because I was slowly detangling as I
went in really small sections. My hair looked good after I was done though. I haven't flat ironed in a long while so I got to see my length. I have had alot of shedding lately so I was afraid that my hair would look shorter but it doesn't which means it was shedding and not really breakage. I was just praying that I could get it to look decent enough to last me just two days to give my hair time to chill out before rewashing. I did see 3 or 4 split ends floating around so I will probably dust at the end of the month. I am still getting rid of some BONE straight ends. I only have an inch left to go though compared to 3 when I started trimming it off.

Gym, I laughed when I read this. I'm glad it finally turned out well. 5 am:nono:. Didn't you just trim your hair. Why are you trimming so much.

Gym, I laughed when I read this. I'm glad it finally turned out well. 5 am:nono:. Didn't you just trim your hair. Why are you trimming so much.

:lachen: I should have known better girl......I learned my lesson :lol: I did just trim my hair but I still feel like I need to trim more off. I know it looks fine to everyone else but I am ultra paranoid about how my hair looks.

I see a few of my buddies in here who are a part of the Deep conditioning challenge for 3 months, like Tiffers and Gymfreak - hi girls. I would recommend stretching longer especially if you're not experiencing any major breaking at the demarcation line. Also as for me, I am deep conditioning quite a bit and I also have not been experiencing any major breakage issues.

I am presently 8 and a half weeks post my relaxer and I just put in a sew-in for about 5 weeks or so which will take me to 13 weeks. However, I want to stretch at least 18 weeks or more this time as my last stretch was 14 weeks. When I take down my weave I intend to DC for about 2 weeks and put the sew-in back in for another 5 weeks taking me to 20 weeks.

I will re-evaluate the condition of my hair then and see if I want to stretch longer. My ultimate aim is a 30 week stretch this time, ie, 7 months. It is not going to be easy, I know, but I really really want to do this.

Last edited:
Have any of you ladies tried the Yum Carmel method to stretch your relaxer. I have and I love it. It makes the hair soft and shiney. I currently have a sew in and it is driving me crazy. My edges and getting that puffy look to them. I use wrap lotion but even after awhile that does not really work. I have had the sew in for about 3 weeks now and I am trying to wait until March 1.:grin:

But if you really want to streatch to the fullest try the Yum Carmel
2 rip banans or bana baby food
1/4 avocado
1/2 cap acv
3 tsp molasses
3 tsp honey
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 grapeseed and cocnu oil (I used castor oil and cocnut oil)
You can leave it on for about 1-2 hours and wash out and then condition.
Your hair will be soft and shney.
Good luck

Back