QUESTION FOR NATURALS

yellagirl730

I am contemplating cutting my hair, I am between SL and BSl length. I am natural and have worn my hair in single strand twists since 2005 and have straightend my hair about once or twice a months since 2007. I'm now dealing with heat damaged ends due to not using any heat protectant or very little due to it weighing my hair down. I don't want to cut my hair but my wash n gos aren't that cute anymore and due to the heat damage my hair won't twist. Is there anything I can do as I really don't want to cut my hair. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

hi hi i don't really give advice but what have you tried so far to correct the problem. I think you may need to find a really good deep conditioner, but hopefully one of the more knowledgeable people will chime in

good luck ^_^

I've been there before and what I did was put my hair in two-strand twist and when I got to the ends, I would seal my ends and then put rollers on the ends so that it wouldn't unravel. I would moisturize my ends everynight and roll them up again. Another thing that worked for me was bunning and cornrowing my hair. When I wore the cornrows, I did the same thing with the ends by sealing them and putting rollers on it. I know its frustrating but it worked out for me and I was happy that I didn't have to cut any of my hair off.

Hmm.. depending on how bad the damage is, so deep protein treatments may at least make the damage less obvious?

Protein reinforces the bonds in the hair strand - which is why if you use an intense protein treatment right after a relaxer it may appear to "revert". Thats also the reason why texlaxers mix protein into their relaxer or coat their hair with it before hand - the protein will reinforce the bonds and help retain the curl instead of allowing it to go completely straight.

HTH

hi hi i don't really give advice but what have you tried so far to correct the problem. I think you may need to find a really good deep conditioner, but hopefully one of the more knowledgeable people will chime in

good luck ^_^

Lol, love the hershey kiss. I have been deep conditioning and I haven't straightened my hair in a couple of months. It probably would not hurt to get my ends trimmed. I would love to wear it twisted but that would require more cut than I would like.

Braids are a great way to give the hair rest from daily wear and tear. Wet sets and Wigs also give the hair a rest, and you can trim the damaged ends gradually as your hair grows, that way, you don't have to chop it off all at once.

Braids are a great way to give the hair rest from daily wear and tear. Wet sets and Wigs also give the hair a rest, and you can trim the damaged ends gradually as your hair grows, that way, you don't have to chop it off all at once.

I would love to wear my hair in braids, but I work for a Catholic hospital and I think they would frown upon braids, but I need to find something to do other than twists and flatironing. I am also having a prob with color as I am salt and pepper and have colored it black, but I am allergic to ppd. So now I have these really light roots and the length of my hair is black. I just don't know what to do with this mess.

I would love to wear my hair in braids, but I work for a Catholic hospital and I think they would frown upon braids, but I need to find something to do other than twists and flatironing. I am also having a prob with color as I am salt and pepper and have colored it black, but I am allergic to ppd. So now I have these really light roots and the length of my hair is black. I just don't know what to do with this mess.

Awww hugs for you, Yellagirl. You and your hair will pull through this. Maybe you can try a henna/indigo for a natural way to turn your hair black? Henna does loosen the curl pattern a little but maybe that's a good thing. Maybe it'll help your hair to blend more.

To my knowledge there isn't a way to reverse heat damage (at least when it comes to restoring the original texture of the hair). You can maybe get your hair healthier but you may want to consider slowly cutting off the heat damaged parts through trims over time.

I got my hair cut to chin length, got all that heat damaged hair off. Am now considering relaxing, don't really want to, but am just so unsure what to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you are not sure you want to relax then I would suggest you wait a moment to make that step.

Have you thought about just hiding your hair until you know for sure what you want to do?

Try something like

Braids or twists with extension hair
cornrows
weaves
wigs or 3/4 wigs

Please be sure of what you want to do before you do it particularly with getting a relaxer or a texlax.

Back