question for mild permers / transitioning to mild

peacelove

I have a few questions. I am going from a regular strengh relaxer to a mild one. I like the results of using mild, but I do not want to chop off all my hair. Are there people on here who have gone from regular to mild relaxers while keeping their length? Any tips on what I should do during this process?

Also, my stylist switched to a mild perm, and she did not comb it through or smooth it down. She basically texturized it. For those of you that use mild perms, do you smooth it down or do you just let it sit on the new growth to loosen the curl?

peacelove said:
I have a few questions. I am going from a regular strengh relaxer to a mild one. I like the results of using mild, but I do not want to chop off all my hair. Are there people on here who have gone from regular to mild relaxers while keeping their length? Any tips on what I should do during this process?

Also, my stylist switched to a mild perm, and she did not comb it through or smooth it down. She basically texturized it. For those of you that use mild perms, do you smooth it down or do you just let it sit on the new growth to loosen the curl?
My relaxer doesn't come in a "mild", just regular and super. I always use regular strength but for the past year or so, I now relax with regular for half the recommended time. I always smooth it down, which loosens the curl.

Did you ask your stylist to switch to a mild relaxer and let it just sit on your new growth?

Isis said:
My relaxer doesn't come in a "mild", just regular and super. I always use regular strength but for the past year or so, I now relax with regular for half the recommended time. I always smooth it down, which loosens the curl.

Did you ask your stylist to switch to a mild relaxer and let it just sit on your new growth?

I told her I wanted to go to mild. I assumed she would smooth it down, but she did not. I liked the results, but most of my hair still has the regular relaxer. The more it grows out, the more I see it being a problem. You can tell the difference between the two textures.

Now I am just wondering if she should have smoothed it a little. I just don't know.

peacelove said:
I told her I wanted to go to mild. I assumed she would smooth it down, but she did not. I liked the results, but most of my hair still has the regular relaxer. The more it grows out, the more I see it being a problem. You can tell the difference between the two textures.

Now I am just wondering if she should have smoothed it a little. I just don't know.
Perhaps you can ask her why she did that. I find it unusual she would let it just sit on your newgrowth just because it's mild. Sitting on your hair doesn't really do anything. Smoothing it will loosen the curl or straighten it, depending on the time the mild relaxer is on your hair and the texture of your newgrowth.

I think that was her way of doing it texturized-style, So that the pattern did not get too straight. But I figured that would happen anyway with a mild perm because it would take the hair longer to break down.

I'm not currently perming but I used to. I switched from a regular to mild relaxers along the way too so that my fine hair would have more body. My stylist continued to smooth it at the roots however. Do you want to transition to texturized hair? Maybe your stylist is not understanding what you want.

jetcitygirl said:
I'm not currently perming but I used to. I switched from a regular to mild relaxers along the way too so that my fine hair would have more body. My stylist continued to smooth it at the roots however. Do you want to transition to texturized hair? Maybe your stylist is not understanding what you want.

I want more body and more of my curl pattern left in my hair. I was thinking just using mild instead of regular would do this. I assumed she would still smooth the roots of my hair though.

Back