Question for Frequent Roller Setters

LadyBlu

I was reading another thread and noticed that some ladies RS at least twice a week. There is one reason why I hate roller setting...it's at least a three hour process!

My hair is just below my collar bone, so I know its not a length issue. It takes FOREVER for my hair to dry under my dinky Gold-N-Not (misspelling intended) 1200 watt dryer. Do I just need to practice more or are you ladies just way more patient than I am?

Besides, that seems like a lot of work for a style that's going to FALL OUT in 5 hours. I need tips ladies. I'm suffering from bun boredom, and I need to cover up my thin edges.

Oh...one more question. How do I get those broken hairs around the edges to behave themselves? My stylist used to press them (which is probably why they are so thin now). Could blowing them out help or is this damaging as well? I'm full of questions today!

I usually do mine at night and I use flexi rods. I don't use a dryer I only air dry. I sit with a towel on my head for a while to make sure it soaks up a good amount of water. I don't set my hair when it's sopping wet. I use at least 12 medium to large ones to make sure the hair is evenly distributed so all of it dries evenly. Then I go to bed and it's dry the next day.

As far as the edge hair have you tried gel to keep them down?

to get the best set when using heat, you really do need to set the hair when it is soaking wet. My hair is not thick so I can dry in 45-60 min. I think you should try making your parts thinner so each individual section can dry quicker.

Make sure you're makign even parts and there isn't a lot of hair on one roller. Using less product helps me hair dry faster. Some days I stay under the dryer (1 hr) or half and half (dry for 30 minutes airdry til morning) or fully airdry. I just fit it in my scheldule when I jump in the shower to co wash my hair and everything, and it only takes me about 25-30 minutes to rollerset since my hair is short. Try macherieamour's site. It really helped me to get my rollersetting lookin nice and staying up for days at a time :grin: HTH

I think I may try the flexirod thing overnight since those are soft. I may also try smaller hair sections and get a better hood dryer. The Gold-N-Not is really starting to get on my nerves!!:spinning:

You probably need a hotter dry and larger rollers. Just take thinner sections of hair when roller setting and then you won't sit under the dryer as long. You may want to use a leave in conditioner and a little setting lotion, as long as it isn't lotta body. That stuff is death to hair. Try that and see if it works for you.:grin:

There is nothing......on God's green earth......that would make me rollerset more than once a week.....nothing!:lachen:

I just had to get that out, lol. I can't stand sitting under the dryer!!:wallbash: It takes me a good 4 hrs. to complete my hair when I do rollersets.

I really don't reccommend rollersetting more than twice a week. :nono: I use to do more often and it thinned my hair :blush:. I tired airdrying it overnight and it was never dry in the morning, so I was using indirect heat a lot.

What I find much quicker and much healthier for my hair - seeing that I Cowash 3 times a week - is Dsylla's method of airdying with a scarf and letting the hair just hang till dry, then when the ends are dry, add just a tiny dab of water and roll with flexis.

My hair dries much quicker and its less manipulation!:yep:

Also,
Rollersetting - hair needs to be sopping wet
Flexis - hair must be dry, with just a dab of water to set

I used to get excited to do my own rollersets, but now that it's getting longer ahhh not so much. So what I do is make a ritual of getting some fragrant candles, a cup of kava kava, nice music, sit in front of my vanity and take my time. The relaxation helps me with the frustration :look:

The process takes me about 2 hours (1 hour to prepare and roll, and 1 hour to dry)

Hey...don't nobody say nuthin bad bout Gold N Hot! I have one and I love it. I takes me an hour to dry my hair. Pibbs smibbs!

I pincurl/wrap/pinup my hair so my style lasts until my next wash day. I think the broken hairs around my edges are from using the dryer to blowout my roots. I'm going to stop using the blowdryer and see how that works out. I'm not used to my edges looking like this. :nono:

I used to get excited to do my own rollersets, but now that it's getting longer ahhh not so much. So what I do is make a ritual of getting some fragrant candles, a cup of kava kava, nice music, sit in front of my vanity and take my time. The relaxation helps me with the frustration :look:

Ahhhh......so I'm not the only one.:look: Girl I be lighting candles, watching movies, drinking coffee, tea, anything to make it more pleasurable:lachen:.

Back