Question 'bout Roux Porosity

When do you use Roux Porosity?

• Total voters

whitedaisez

Hey guys,
How/when do you guys use your Roux Porosity? Some people use it before they apply regular conditioner bcuz they believe that it makes the conditioner penetrate the hair better. Some people use it after regular conditioning bcuz they believe it closes the hair shaft & locks in moisture. But what really is the correct way to use it?

I use it as a final rinse. I don't really see how it could help conditioner penetrate better. Not saying it isn't possible, I've just never heard that before.

Yesterday I used it before conditioning my hair and I'm glad I used it that way. Roux strengthens my hair, but makes it a little hard so I needed the conditioner. Its kind of like needing to do a DC after henna or heavy protein treatment.

Good question. I purchased this product last month but not sure how to use it as well. I don't need any set backs so I haven't touched it yet. Thinking of using conditioner afterwards as well like the previous poster said though. I was scared it would leave my hair some kind of way if I didn't & make it hard to detangle.

Mixing a little bit with ORS works wonders; it makes my hair really soft. Softer than the ORS makes it without the Porosity Control.

I had to go through my old hair journals to check but for me it was like this:

Porosity control used after DC = made no real difference
Porosity control used before DC = slight improvement
Porosity control mixed with DC = hair retaining more moisture, hair seemed to like this

HTH

I was an avid Roux PC for nearly 2 years, every wash, weekly. I have very porous hair so using it that often was really beneficial. I played around with it I found it worked best after shampoo, before conditioner. Excellent for detangling. For the last 6 months though, I've been doing ACV rinses with the same results.

Yesterday I used it before conditioning my hair and I'm glad I used it that way. Roux strengthens my hair, but makes it a little hard so I needed the conditioner. Its kind of like needing to do a DC after henna or heavy protein treatment.

:yep: yep I do that also.... my hair is screaming for DC after I use it also.

The shampoo is my clarifying shampoo..

once I finish the products I will not buy it again.....:ohwell:

I use it as a protective barrier,along with my honeyshield before getting a relaxer to prevent runoff.

After washing out my DC,I apply it to my hair for.30 secs

I used to put it in my DC but I haven't done that in awhile. yep

Sent from my GT-I9100G using LHCF

This is how I used my RPC this past weekend and for this exact reason.

If relaxing, I use it like this : relaxer, rinse, protein con, rinse, roux pc, rinse, neutralizing shampoo, rinse, (2X), moisture con.

But my regular wash routine for years was to use Roux PC as a final step, after shampooing and conditioning in the shower. I've tried it before DCing as well. It causes no harm, but since I want the cons to penetrate the hair shaft (via my raised cuticles) I generally use PC after conditioning.

I didn't vote because I mix mine with my conditioner and leave it on for a min or 2 then wash it out

Iwanthealthyhair67 said:
^^do you follow up with anything else.
No not with anything that I have to wash out :) I use my Kerastase leave in with al little grapeseed oil or coconut oil and roller set. It has almost been a week and my ~relaxed/texlaxed~ hair is still moisturized.

:ohwell:
I was an avid Roux PC for nearly 2 years, every wash, weekly. I have very porous hair so using it that often was really beneficial. I played around with it I found it worked best after shampoo, before conditioner. Excellent for detangling. For the last 6 months though, I've been doing ACV rinses with the same results.

I did this earlier this year and all it got me was a setback! :nono: I couldnt figure out why my hair was so dry and breaking....I was using the porosity control too often. By the time I figured it out my hair was thinner. :ohwell:

:ohwell:

I did this earlier this year and all it got me was a setback! :nono: I couldnt figure out why my hair was so dry and breaking....I was using the porosity control too often. By the time I figured it out my hair was thinner. :ohwell:

I damaged my hair last year from overusing the Aphrogee protein treatment. t I now walk on eggshells when it comes to anything like this.

I used the Roux on Monday, but the last time I used it was two months ago. I also use henna and some conditioners with light proteins every now and then. I learned when it comes to protein (or protein like treatments) is to really listen to my hair and not do it on a schedule as I would with DC.

I hope your hair recovered. :(

This blog post really helped me too. I've been wanting to buy this to maybe use when I relax. I'm not sure if I have a high or low porosity though :ohwell:

loveafterwar
Try the wet strand test to help you determine if you're low or high. Some argue the reliability of the test but I've found it helpful. Start with a clean shed piece of hair -- I test after clarifying but before adding conditioner. Dip that strand in a cup of water. If it sinks quickly - high porosity. If it floats for a length of time - low porosity. My strands will float for days if I let it.

If I'm not due to wash and I want to test, I take a shed piece of hair, run some clarifying shampoo over it, allow it to completely dry, then test as mentioned above.

ETA: check out this article.

Last edited:
There is no correct way. It's whatever works for YOUR hair. I've done it both ways and

MY hair likes RPC BEFORE conditioning or DCing.

When I RPC'd after conditioning it left my hair tangled and hard to comb, totally negating the effects of my conditioner.

I've been using this since about 2010. I really want to stop using it because of one of the ingredients (Propylene Glycol) but I can't find an alternative product on the market to replace it with. I just can't believe it's cornered the market and has no competition!? Anyway, I use it in mixed in with pre-poos or my conditioner. My big bottle is almost finished and I'm really wrestling with myself whether to repurchase it.

Because I had to do a super DC the,other day, a few days after I used the Roux and DCed after, I think I will mix it with my conditioner next time.

Sent from my ADR6350 using LHCF

Back