Question about SERUMS???

Leslie_C

Im new to all of this hair stuff, but Im learning! Does a serum seal the hair so it holds in moisture and shields out more moisture from the air,etc? Do you put a serum on your hair last(after leave ins, oils,etc)? If u put more moisturizers in after a serum, does your hair still respond or do u have to wait until you wash it out? thanks in advance!

I consider my glossing polish as a serum. I put it on last when my hair is wet or dry. Ive never put oils or moisturizers after the glossing polish/serum.

Serums usually have a lot of silicones in it...like dimethicone. I personally use oils (like shea butter or jojoba) as a sealant i.e. they seal and lock in moisture. Serums as a finishing agent used to smooth the hair and give it shine. I hope that helps!
smile.gif

I have used my Paul Mitchell foaming pomade on top of using my John Frieda Relax serum to add shine. Thicker serums like KeraCare are good for both after styling and during styling (heat protectant). Thinner ones like Biosilk, Bain De Terre and some others can be used as a heat protectant, but b/c of their alcohol content are primarily used as a "glosser" or to add shine. Again, lots of people use Biosilk as a heat protectant (blowdrying, flat ironing) w/no adverse affects. There are a lot to choose from.

Serums are very versatile in their use. You should experiment to find out exactly which ones your hair likes. Try using a moisturizer/grease/pomade w/your choice of serum and see how your hair responds. I don't think you can really make a "mistake", per se, with them. They add shine, can straighten and/or soften your hair, depending on your usage.

I currently use Paul Mitchel Super Skinny Serum. It gives my hair a nice shine, and leaves it smooth and sikly when I flat iron.

northernbelle

Back