Question about Heat Styling

msjones

I was thinking...if one uses heat protectant, coconut oil, avocado butter, etc would heat styling still be damaging to the hair cuticle?

I just can't see roller setting EVERY week. I can see roller setting after a fresh touch up, but when there's new growth, I can't imagine not blow-drying (especially in the winter) and flat ironing.

Will alternating between roller-sets and blowing/flat ironing set me back substantially in growth?

msjones said:
I was thinking...if one uses heat protectant, coconut oil, avocado butter, etc would heat styling still be damaging to the hair cuticle?

I just can't see roller setting EVERY week. I can see roller setting after a fresh touch up, but when there's new growth, I can't imagine not blow-drying (especially in the winter) and flat ironing.

Will alternating between roller-sets and blowing/flat ironing set me back substantially in growth?

The one thing you want to keep in mind is that regardless of any heat protectant, you should use minimal heat on your hair (especially the new growth in my opinion).

If rollersetting weekly is not practical for you then I would say use your appliances on low settings and then wrap your hair to get the sleek/straighten effect.

Heat protectants don't FULLY guard against heat damage, but they provide some level of protection as opposed to not using any. A really good on is CHI Silk Infusion (from my own personal experience).

I hope this helps.:)

I rollerset twice a week (only because I wash my hair twice/week and I'm I don't use direct heat.) Most times, I sit under my dryer for about 20 min or so do dry it some and then I take my butt to bed.

I feel you on the rollersetting around touch up time. It's impossible for me so what I do is wrap it wet and follow the same quick dry method and go to bed. I hate wearing my hair straight so in the morning, I just throw some Caruso rollers in there and BAM! my rollerset is back.

For me:

coconut oil + flat iron= crispy fried hair. Shiny, but crispy.

IMO, stick to heat protectants.

Last edited:
People have asked this question many times before, and I think that as long as you properly prep the hair for heat, you can use it frequently.

I heat style my hair as often as 1x a week. I think it would be damaging if you straightened your hair and then tried to use the curling iron and or flat iron to touch it up during the week. Yet, I heat style it once a week and either wrap the hair at night or use magnetic rollers to maintain the style. I've experienced nothing but growth, and I make sure to deep condition the hair in between the time that I use heat so that it stays strong and healthy.

msjones said:

I don't believe it will set you back substantially or at all, as long as you are are diligent and consistent about deep conditioning. I would use a good leave-in conditioner and just a touch of heat protectant in favor of any oils or butters, especially on relaxed hair.

NuMe2004 said:
People have asked this question many times before, and I think that as long as you properly prep the hair for heat, you can use it frequently.

I heat style my hair as often as 1x a week. I think it would be damaging if you straightened your hair and then tried to use the curling iron and or flat iron to touch it up during the week. Yet, I heat style it once a week and either wrap the hair at night or use magnetic rollers to maintain the style. I've experienced nothing but growth, and I make sure to deep condition the hair in between the time that I use heat so that it stays strong and healthy.

This is what I thought! Forgive me for posting since its already been asked. I'm new! But thanks though. I think what damages my hair is the re-touching throughout the week. I think I'm going to just wrap/use the rollers like you said. I think the PJ in me wants to get a Caruso as well. :lol: I'm going to try this. Thanks again!!!

NuMe--u r natural right and use heat to wear ur hair straight?

MsJones--remember that with relaxed hair---using heat will usually cause more damage than if you were natural. Relaer and heat is kinda like a double whammy--for lack of better words. But---i do agree that using heat sparingly may not be bad and it beter than everyday.

Yes--the Carusos will be a good investment!

I think you got good responses...just want to throw in my $0.02. From what I have read, using oils on the hair before using direct heat (flat irons, curling irons, etc.) is actually a bad thing. Definitely use a heat protectant...not an oil. You could literally fry your hair.

Katt73 said:
I think you got good responses...just want to throw in my $0.02. From what I have read, using oils on the hair before using direct heat (flat irons, curling irons, etc.) is actually a bad thing. Definitely use a heat protectant...not an oil. You could literally fry your hair.

So I should seal my moisturizer w/ oil AFTER heat styling? Or, can I use a butter?

Katt73 said:
I think you got good responses...just want to throw in my $0.02. From what I have read, using oils on the hair before using direct heat (flat irons, curling irons, etc.) is actually a bad thing. QUOTE]

I will take the bold into account the next time I decide to flat iron. I have been doing just that, using oil, heat protectant, and heat. Thank goodness I only flat iron 3-4 a year!!

Back