question about braids and relaxed hair new growth

Glamorous_chic

hi everyone!! well, i'm trying to grow my hair longer and retain more length. in the short time i've been on here i've learned soo much, thanks! :grin: currently, my hair a little past shoulder length and is relaxed. i'm waiting until i'm 8 weeks post relaxer to get braids. anyways, i noticed that whenever i get braids, that my hair seems to grow like crazy. so i've decided to go that route for a couple of months. i usually end up having to take my braids out after 2 months, but i've never gotten back-to-back braids. i'm trying to go for 4-6 months in briads, getting a different style or having them taken out and re-done every 2 months. do you think this will be too damaging to my hair? i've read conflicting articles (not on LHCF, but hair care magazines) i'm concerned that i will have soo much new growth, that the difference in textures will cause my hair to start to break off. or that the stress of braids may cause my hair to break off. i do know to make sure that they don't braid my edges or the nape of my hair too tight. i learned this the hard way, and i have a really patchy spot on my right temple from the braids literally pulling my hair from the root literally. i'm just concerened, b/c whenever i went that long between relaxers, my hair started breaking off due to the difference in textures, but wasn't sure if this would be an issue since i'd be in breads. sorry if this was too detailed or long, but any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Back