Public Displays of Affection

neenzmj

Hey ladies,

Maybe you can answer a question for me. I'm wondering if public displays of affection (holding hands, a hug, a quick kiss, arms around each other) is a cultural thing? I ask because I always seem to see many Caucasian couples openly displaying affection, but rarely do I see it with African American couples. Maybe it's my geographic location -- I don't know. What have you observed?

The only thing I see black couples do if they do any pda at all is hold hands in this area. The yt couples go all out and its a bit much to me. Some people need to be on display. I also wonder how long these couples actually stay together. I see it more as for attention rather than truly demonstrating love. Maturity makes a difference too. It's mostly young couples I see making huge pda announcements.

My husband and I are very demonstrative (not over the top.) We hold hands, we give each other a quick kiss, we hug. We get teased about it sometimes at our church. They (certain members) don't feel like it's necessary, but for us, it's these small things that help keep the fire burning.

The only thing I see black couples do if they do any pda at all is hold hands in this area. The yt couples go all out and its a bit much to me. Some people need to be on display. I also wonder how long these couples actually stay together. I see it more as for attention rather than truly demonstrating love. Maturity makes a difference too. It's mostly young couples I see making huge pda announcements.

ITA. I was out at the mall yesterday with DD we were eating lunch. A caucasian couple came and sat directly infront of us and were touching a bit much and kissing and feeling on each other.. Ok.. I dont have a problem with people showing affection to one another but theres a time and place and infront of my 21month isnt not appropriate IMO.

To the OP question,. MY daughters father LOVES pda.. I dont know why.. Im so not a touchy feely type, so he use to kiss me and touch me (not explictly) I just didnt like it. We can hold hands but I just feel like we do not need to be doing that.. and Ive noticed that some people purposely do that for attention or if they think your looking at their men.. :lachen: I mean come on :perplexed

My husband and I are very demonstrative (not over the top.) We hold hands, we give each other a quick kiss, we hug. We get teased about it sometimes at our church. They (certain members) don't feel like it's necessary, but for us, it's these small things that help keep the fire burning.

Me thinks "certain members" are jealous:yep:. Don't let their disapproval inhibit you, what you describe sounds very sweet to me.

When I see PDA its from couples of all races. I don't think it was a noticeable difference between black, white, hispanic, etc couples. Personally, Im not the touchy feely type but I had a boyfriend who would love to show PDA when he noticed someone noticing me. Most times I wouldn't even know until he did that.

Back