Protein Damage!!

Gigglez5684

Hello ladies I was just wondering if any of you had experienced damage from too much protein, and if so was your hair able to be revived with adaquate moisture and conditioning, or did you have to cut off the damage??

Gigglez5684 said:
Hello ladies I was just wondering if any of you had experienced damage from too much protein, and if so was your hair able to be revived with adaquate moisture and conditioning, or did you have to cut off the damage??
PROTEIN HAS TO BE RINSED FROM THE HAIR AFTER EACH TREATMEN!!!!!
To much protein is like stick hard candy it gets hard and if you try to bend it it will brake. Too much of a good thing will cause hair to brake.

When I first learned the wonders of protein I overdid it, using a medium strength treatment after every wash. I would completely wash it out and use a moisturizing conditioner afterwards but my hair still started to feel dry and break after a couple only a couple of applications. When I finally realized what the problem was, I immediately went into damage control mode, doing conditioner washes, moisturizing 2-3 times a day and using only moisturizing poos when I shampooed. Since I caught it early I didn't have to cut, but I wouldn't have made the decision to do so right away even if I did. Nurse your hair for a couple of weeks first and see how it responds.

luvSLave said:
When I first learned the wonders of protein I overdid it, using a medium strength treatment after every wash. I would completely wash it out and use a moisturizing conditioner afterwards but my hair still started to feel dry and break after a couple only a couple of applications. When I finally realized what the problem was, I immediately went into damage control mode, doing conditioner washes, moisturizing 2-3 times a day and using only moisturizing poos when I shampooed. Since I caught it early I didn't have to cut, but I wouldn't have made the decision to do so right away even if I did. Nurse your hair for a couple of weeks first and see how it responds.

ITA with luvSLave.:yep: Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize and avoid protein as much as possible for awhile. Good luck.

Thanks for the responses guys, I was really at my wits end with this breakage and about to cut it all off again and start over, but i think I will try nursing it back to health first, and if it is still breaking of ridiculously after a couple of weeks, then I will chop it off! Thanks again, any more responses would be greatly appreciated also

Is Queen Helene Cholesteral protein? Last night I had the worst time detangling the back of my hair(Where the head hits the pillow while sleeping). I had to cut chunks out of my hair. I was nearly in tears:nono:. I felt that alot of my progress that I made is gone.

By looking at it, no one will know that hair is missing. But now I am restricted to just wearing puffs. I'm scared to do anything else to my hair. NO MORE flat ironing for the rest of the year.

I don't know what I did wrong. Over the weekend I pre-pooed my hair with QH and cleaned the house. Maybe I didn't get it all out. I don't know. I am sad though.

My SO says if I feel this way about my hair, I need to take a look at myself:blush:

I just did a protein treatment the other day, it was needed really bad :ohwell:. I concentrated on moisture so much that I neglected to add protein to my regimen so my hair was soft, weak and started to break. I am trying not to overload it with protein and cause it to break more :nono:. Just be careful with protein as you would any other product.

Hey OP, I'm new to using Protein and my hair was so of hard after using Aphogee... have you tried baggying? Honestly I did it out of desperation, but I cowashed a few times a week and moisturized my hair and baggied overnight. That helped me tremendously. HTH

i use aphogee 2 minute conditioner after every wash(for the most part). and it has worked out very well for me. maybe because now before i wash i deep condition on dry hair with a moisturizing conditioner for hours before i shampoo. then i shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo then the aphogee.

I've over protein'd my hair twice. Both times, a strict high moisture/no protein reggie got me back on my feet in about a week or so. The main aspect was nightly overnight baggying with a moisturizing DC - and I did it until my hair felt just on the edge of over-moisture, and then I did a LIGHT protein treatment, just to restore the balance. :yep:

IA with all who said to moisturize, when I had that problem I did a deep condition about two times a week. What really helped was putting the conditioner on dry or almost dry hair and either leaving on a plastic cap for hours or getting under the dryer for 15-20 minutes.

Using a Hair Steamer 2-4 times monthly does wonders for adding moisture to the hair while using a good moisturing conditioner. Continue using as your hair needs it. I don't know why it's not recommended more often. Ladies I have found that many of the problems and hair concerns could really be minimized with regular hair steaming.

I've never heard of Queen Helene going all protein crazy, but as everybody else said doing a moisture DC and he gentle w/ it for the next few washes. It's not a disaster that can't be overcome.

Is Queen Helene Cholesteral protein? Last night I had the worst time detangling the back of my hair(Where the head hits the pillow while sleeping). I had to cut chunks out of my hair. I was nearly in tears:nono:. I felt that alot of my progress that I made is gone.

By looking at it, no one will know that hair is missing. But now I am restricted to just wearing puffs. I'm scared to do anything else to my hair. NO MORE flat ironing for the rest of the year.

I don't know what I did wrong. Over the weekend I pre-pooed my hair with QH and cleaned the house. Maybe I didn't get it all out. I don't know. I am sad though.

My SO says if I feel this way about my hair, I need to take a look at myself:blush:

I've never heard of Queen Helene behaving like this, but anything's possible.

Did you detangle your hair w/ the conditioner in before you put on the jherri curl cap? I find that detangling and sectioning the hair w/ conditioner keeps everything nice and tangle free.

Why did you cut your hair out? All you had to do was detangle it? or get him to help you. As for your SO, he's under no social pressure to have long hair, so....easy for him to say. :grin:

did you use the darker one with the pump? cause if I remember correctly that one does have protein, not the reg one

I've over protein'd my hair twice. Both times, a strict high moisture/no protein reggie got me back on my feet in about a week or so. The main aspect was nightly overnight baggying with a moisturizing DC - and I did it until my hair felt just on the edge of over-moisture, and then I did a LIGHT protein treatment, just to restore the balance. :yep:
I have been so good with my fairly new natural hair and protein. No protein hair cuts for me so far....I am adding this good advice from Kiya to my hair tool box just in case I get out of balance with my protein in the future.:yep:

Back