Protein Challenge Anyone??

Armyqt

OK ladies, after reading numerous posts recently on the tremendous growth people are getting from high protein diets, I truly believe this is the missing link in my regimen. So I'm gonna start myself a little protein challenge (actually I've already started). My goal is to get around 130 grams per day through diet and protein shakes. In addition to that, I will be taking 500-1000mgs L-Cysteine.

I'm looking forward to getting tremendous growth in the next two months. IT will be a great kick start for the New Year coming
smile.gif

For those willing to join the challenge, we can officially start next Monday, 3 November. That will give everyone time to get what they need. Anyone game?
smile.gif

Good Ladies. Which shake are you both taking? I'm taking Optimum Whey Protein in Vanilla Ice Cream Flavor
tongue.gif
. It's really good and dissolves easily enough with a spoon. It has 22 grams per scoop. Optimum also makes another one with 55 grams per scoop. I'm gonna go later this week and pick that one up.
grin.gif

I'll be having leftover turkey for lunch today.

I would like to join, I already have a ton of protein products. I think I will start on the official start date of November 3.

I will be using Nature's Best ISOPURE Zero Carb Protein Powder in Creamy Vanilla. 2 scoops contain 50g of protein.
I have about 1/2 of a 3lb container left.

When that is used up, I will be drinking Labrada's Lean Body for Her in Chocolate which contains 30g of protein per serving. I'll be mixing this w/vanilla soy milk (it's the only way I can stand the taste).

I resumed the protein and vitamins over the weekend, so I'm in.

I use Precision Engineered Whey Protein (natural flavor). A 22 gram scoop contains 17 grams of protein. I add a teaspoon of bitter MSM powder. The natural flavored powder doesn't counteract the flavor of the juice, but it's a really thick drink. I put water in the glass afterward to rinse out the remaining powder, and I drink that water with my vitamin pills (vitB5, vitC, biotin, and L-cysteine).

I tried it for about a week and got tired of the taste of the shake, but since I can now say that someone else is suffering through it too, I'm IN!! I can't remember the name though, (I'm at work).

I am in, but I probably will do it every other day. I have been drinking MLO Milk and Egg Protein as a smoothie with pineapple and peaches and the ultra thick hair shake. I don't know if I will be able to get 130 grams per day, but I know I can get over 50.

DD Hair, I came up with 130 grams a day after speaking with a fitness guy at the Vitamin Shoppe. He is the one who told me that the Optimum Whey Protein was the best.

Also we had a member name SeaMist who got 2 in a month easily and she recommended the ssame shake and MSM.

[ QUOTE ]
CORBINS said:
I tried it for about a week and got tired of the taste of the shake, but since I can now say that someone else is suffering through it too, I'm IN!! I can't remember the name though, (I'm at work).

[/ QUOTE ]
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Hey Corbins
wave.gif
which shake are you using? Some of them can be horrible
barf.gif
Maybe when you're done with that one, you can try something else. BTW, you can also incorporate the protein by eating fish, eggwhites and chicken and things like that.

Yeah, another member took this amount also and got 2 in. I was just about to post and ask how long will we do this, so how long did he suggest? From what I understand, prolonged use of protein can cause heart and liver problems, but I don't know how long the usage has to be to create those problems. If it's all good, I am ready Eddy, also, okay I have about 22 grams in my protein, I have upped it to 2 scoops, which makes it 44 grams, with the hair shake I am getting only about 7 grams (but of course it has the other vits), with other protein products (yogurt, snacks) I am getting anywhere from 5-7 grams. So what additional proteins will you be adding to your diet?

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
DJD, please be sure to share with us which high protein foods you'll be eating
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dairy products are high in protein. String Cheese, Milk, Ice Cream is a good one. Peanut butter is REALLY good for proteing..my goal is to eat a PB&J sandwhich 5 out of 7 nights a week. Nuts are high in protein, I think noodles are. Those little beef-a-roni cups are a good source of protein. I really just read lables most of the time, and drink energy drinks or meal replacement drinks WITH meals. HTH a little!
smile.gif

DDHair,

I want to do the challenge for two months. The reason being, we need to give our bodies time to adjust and the proteins to start working. Along with taking the protein, I'll also be driking a lot more water daily. The guy at the Vitamshoppe told me that whey is the best form of protein to take (along with egg protein), becuase they are easily digestible. So much so, that you may find yourself very hungry shortly after having a shake.

If you notice any types of adverse affects such as cramping or bowel problems, that could be an indication that the protein is too much for your system. Listen to your body, it will let you know when it doesn't like something
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
DatJerseyDyme said:
[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
DJD, please be sure to share with us which high protein foods you'll be eating
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dairy products are high in protein. String Cheese, Milk, Ice Cream is a good one. Peanut butter is REALLY good for proteing..my goal is to eat a PB&J sandwhich 5 out of 7 nights a week. Nuts are high in protein, I think noodles are. Those little beef-a-roni cups are a good source of protein. I really just read lables most of the time, and drink energy drinks or meal replacement drinks WITH meals. HTH a little!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nuts huh? I love trailmix. As a matter of fact I just got done munching on some. This weekend, I'm gonna make my own mixture though (this stuff gets expensive), and leave out some of the nuts I don't really like and add more raisins.
smile.gif

I'll join. I am just eating and drinking a lot of foods and drinks with a good amount of protein in them such as: Hard boiled eggs, chicken, turkey sandwhiches, beans, yogurt, cottage cheese, protein drinks, and milk. I make sure that at least two of my 3 meals everyday have some type of meat in them. I also need to get some protein powder, do GNC stores carry any of the brands already mentioned?

Hi
wave.gif
, A Christian, GNC has the Optimum WHey Protein SHake, but I think they're cheaper at the Vitamin SHoppe. DO you have one near you?

This is kinda off topic but this info regarding animal protein.
I heard that animal protein is bad for you (a lot of it). Awhile back on the Discovery channel there was this program on cattle and what they are feed. It was telling how cows are feed protein via dead animal ashes (cats, dogs, dirty chickens) in their grass. This adds hormones to the cows making them bigger. So with the cows getting bigger, humans get bigger too. Also, milk from other animals isn't really good for people. Only human milk works for us. After all vitamin D and Calcium isn't naturally in cow milk, that gets added in. So really the best source for protien is gonna be from plants, like soybean.

Thanks for the info Mariah. I mainly get my protein from the shakes, chicken, turkey and fish. I've never really ate alot of read meat to start with.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
MariahB2KFan said:
This is kinda off topic but this info regarding animal protein.
I heard that animal protein is bad for you (a lot of it). Awhile back on the Discovery channel there was this program on cattle and what they are feed. It was telling how cows are feed protein via dead animal ashes (cats, dogs, dirty chickens) in their grass. This adds hormones to the cows making them bigger. So with the cows getting bigger, humans get bigger too. Also, milk from other animals isn't really good for people. Only human milk works for us. After all vitamin D and Calcium isn't naturally in cow milk, that gets added in. So really the best source for protien is gonna be from plants, like soybean.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you brought up this point, MBF. I did a lot of research prior to starting a high protein diet, and, the same things you mentioned I found to be true across studies. Also, if you use peanut butter, it should be organic without all the sugar...sorry
frown.gif
As for myself, I have cut most carbs, all refined sugars, and white flours from my diet. I drink lactaid milk with soy protein because it has more protein (14 g) then soy milk alone (7 g). Then I went to a "bodybuilding" store in my neighborhood and got some Power Whey Stack (choc. flavor), which is a time released protein powder (25 gr/scoop). The reason I picked a time released powder was because I wanted the protein to stay in my system longer. It's kind of "costly" I think it was $45, but it comes in a BIG container and it lasts a pretty long time. I get a 1/2 gal of the soy protein milk and mix in 4 scoops of the whey protein and I mix them in the blender. I then put them in a large glass pitcher that I have, which has a tight cap on it. When I'm ready, I simply shake and pour it. I also have cut red meat from my diet. I eat eggs, lowfat cheese, chicken, turkey, tons of fish, veggie burgers, and salads almost everyday. If I do take in carbs it's usually with oatmeal, occasional 7-grain bread, or brown rice. But, I try not to eat them too often. I also enjoy raw almonds, so I will eat those sometimes.

One really positive thing I have found with the protein diet, since I have started doing weight training as part of my exercise regimen, my muscles heal really fast and I experience very little soreness.

BTW, count me in
laugh.gif
I've been doing this diet for about 2 weeks now, but, being part of this will help me to really stick to my new diet.
smile.gif

I would like to join this challenge too, But I can't start until after December 14th.

Ballet Bun ...
rosebud.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
Hi armyqt
wave.gif
, A Christian, GNC has the Optimum WHey Protein SHake, but I think they're cheaper at the Vitamin SHoppe. DO you have one near you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, thanks for replying
wave.gif
. I don't know if there is a vitamin shoppe near me or not, I'll have to check. Also, to everyoe,I had no idea about the information concerning animal protein
shocked.gif
looks like I will have to modify my protein sources.

Count me in I just order some protein tablets from puritan's
pride because I am trying to increase protein in my diet.
The bottle said to take 4 tablets three times daily between
meals-12 tablets equal 3.0 grams of protein.
I will see how this works out if not I will go with the
protein shakes.

I'm in! I'm in! I'll start next week. I'm planning on my main sources of protein coming from.....

tuna fish- one whole 6 ouch can is 42 grams of protein!
cottage cheese- 1/2 cup in afternoon and 1/2 cup in evening- 26 grams
1 cup of milk- 8 grams
1 egg- 6 grams

So that's already 82 and I never control what I eat for dinner, but I'm sure it'll involve at least 20 grams of protein....so I'm up to 102. And whenever I get money to throw in the optimum shake that gets me up to 125.

Count me in. I've been hearing about all the raves protein has on hair growth, so I want to see what it's like firsthand.

My main sources of protein will be soy products and vegetable protein sources such as tofu, rice and beans, and soy shakes. When eating meat, I'll have scallops and white turkey (thanks for the link, Armyqt).

Good luck everyone!

Back