Protective Styling, Really?

MissTea

OK. Is bunning really a protective style if I have to take it down and M&S daily. Wouldn't that be considered a lot of manipulation? Even if I take it down and finger section it off to M&S, I still have to get it back into the ponytail (combing). So is this method really helping me at all or should I try another method? It doesn't seem like my hair is growing, period. And I'm taking really good care of it and I'm very gentle when manipulating it.

Hi MissTea,
I use bunning as a protective style. I don't comb my hair every day. I may brush the front to ensure that it is neat but I do not take down the bun. In fact, I only comb and detangle my hair one time per week, only on wash day. In that way it can be a protective style with low manipulation.

Yes it seems that it is a lot of manipulation. I bun almost everyday when I am not in braids or a weave so I can sympathize. I moisturized, seal and baggy. Since I am natural, my hair needs help staying put so I use Kera Care Styling Wax Stick for my edges and the too of my hair. This stick is a life saver. The ingredients are GREAT and most importantly, it does not make your hair hard. Normally I would have to use Jam (with the red top) to keep my hair down and I would still have to fight my curl and my edges and then tie a scarf on top to keep it in place until it dried. With the Kera Care my hair and edges are softer and sleeker, I don't have to tie a scarf in to fight my curl, it actually makes my hair look straight and helps keep it moisturized. I also able to make my ponytail last for days and I have virtually no breakage. This also limits the amount that I have to manipulate my hair.

I bun everyday but I consider it a protective style as it keeps my ends away from the wind and cold, keeps them off my back and when I do it I do not use a comb or even finger detangle.

This has worked for me for almost 2 years and I see great progress

OK. Is bunning really a protective style if I have to take it down and M&S daily. Wouldn't that be considered a lot of manipulation? Even if I take it down and finger section it off to M&S, I still have to get it back into the ponytail (combing). So is this method really helping me at all or should I try another method? It doesn't seem like my hair is growing, period. And I'm taking really good care of it and I'm very gentle when manipulating it.

Are you combing? And if so why?

MissTea it really depends on how you are taking your buns down and putting them back up....

if I take my bun down I will spritz with water, then oil my hair, brush the front and twist it up and secure it with a spin pin....I don't comb....the only time I comb my hair is once a week during wash day like Chicoro. And when I comb, my hair is DRENCHED with condish....I wouldn't dare put a comb in my hair otherwise.....

If your hair is "not growing" maybe you should take a look at your regi and think of things that you can do differently....

1.) what is your regi?
2.) How long have you been bunning?
3.) How did you wear your hair before you started bunning?
4.) what were your hair practices before you started bunning?

If you answer those questions, i'm sure someone can help you!

I bun daily but only comb on wash days after my wash or co-wash with a wide-tooth seamless comb and that's just to lightly detangle, not style. I air dry loose, re-moisture the ends once my hair is dry, and bun. I only comb an average of once or twice a week. If you are combing daily to re-style, then the bun as a PS wont yield the best results. I've been doing buns as a PS pretty consistently since 2005 because it works for me.

I keep my hair tied down with a scarf when I'm in the house, which is a whole lot. Therefore, when it's time for me to get going, I dont need to comb or brush in order to neaten my bun. It stays neat. I might smooth the nape with my fingers and a lil gel, leave-in, or ORS Edge Control, but that's it.

Last edited:
I bun daily, combing once a week. I lightly brush the front daily to keep the edges neat. I take my bun every day to moisturize & seal, detangling with my fingers if necessary.

I bun daily but only comb on wash days. My hair never sees a comb unless its soaking wet with conditioner. I use my fingers and satin scarves to style my hair otherwise.

I bun or do some sort of updo that protects my ends daily. I take down the bun to moisturise it and style with my fingers. I detangle on wash days but I might actually use a comb during the detangling session every other week or two. I've been retaining well with this method.

I have bunned daily for a while. I use to take my bun down daily and re-bun the next day because I was worried about experiencing breakage throughout the night. However, taking the bun down, moisturizing/sealing/manipulating was harsher on my hair than pinning it up and leaving it alone for the week.

I now bun on Sunday and keep it in for the entire week. I spritz with water, apply moisturizer / oil and gently run the comb across the top layer to sleek/slick it down. I also use a toothbrush for taming hairs. Manipulating 1x weekly is so much better and less exhausting.

I'm in the military so I've been binning for four years. This is even before realizing it was protective styling. I take it down to m and s and I have to comb it back in order to get it into the ponytail and be able to fit my cap over it to maintain a neat appearance. My hair is so thick finger combing it back won't work and rising a scarf down only lays in place the tangled mess I'd have from finger combing only.

^^^
I so wish I can do that. After a good workout or a night of tossing and turning, my hair looks quite beat.

@greenandchic, I keep it tied down when working out and sleeping. I use a long scarf and tie the sleek portion of my hair to keep the nape/edges flat. I leave the bun exposed.

At night, I spritz the hair with water, apply my LI, seal and smooth the hair. I tie a long scarf around the sleek portion of my hair to keep the nape/edges flat. I then use a second scarf to secure the entire head, bun and all. This double secures the sleek portion of hair which takes the beating when tossing / turning. Not cute but keep the style in check.

Every morning, I spritz the hair with water, apply my LI, seal and smooth the hair. I wear a scarf on the sleek portion of hair on the commute to work.

Post workout, I use a clean / dry scarf to keep the sleek hair portion secure on the commute home.

Last edited:
divachyk I really need to try keeping my bun in for an entire week at least once just to see if I can pull it off. You seem to have this thing down. This is an excellent low manipulation style.

I'm a daily bunner, and I take my bun down every night to moisturize the ends or cowash.

For me, I don't consider this alot of manipulation. I'm not vigorously combing and re-styling. I'm always gentle. I workout in the evenings and there's not a bun invented that could survive my sweaty workouts!

I also don't like all my shedded hairs to stay on my head for too long. Lightly combing them out every night takes care of that.

I haven't used a brush in almost 4 years, so my edges and nape stay strong through all my bunning.

Sent from my android tablet using LHCF App

HoneyA, it really saves time during the week. I really appreciate Golden75 suggesting I give multi-day styles a try.

In addition to saving time, it cuts down on breakage from daily manipulation and minimizes product usage which in turn minimizes buildup. This then gives me the option to go up to two weeks without washing. I like having this option for the weeks I'm busy or don't feeling up to washing. This also cuts down on breakage on the weeks I'm not manipulating the hair for washing.

I always take the style down on Friday night regardless if I aiming for a weekly or every two week wash. I let my hair breath on Sat / Sun throughout the day and style it again Sunday night before bed. I arrive to work on Monday's with a different style so that I'm not looking the same week after week.

One thing I failed to point out above, I often baggy my styles throughout the week for added moisture -- so my steps that night are, spritz the hair with water, apply my LI, no sealing and smooth the hair. I tie a long scarf around the sleek portion of my hair to keep the nape/edges flat. Baggy the hair and then add the second scarf to secure the entire head, bun, baggy and all. The following morning, I'll seal in the baggy moisture, smooth the hair, scarf until I arrive to work.

divachyk...Do you ever have problems with the ends being too moisturized from baggying?

I always take the style down on Friday night regardless if I aiming for a weekly or every two week wash. I let my hair breath on Sat / Sun throughout the day and style it again Sunday night before bed. I arrive to work on Monday's with a different style so that I'm not looking the same week after week.

Can you give examples of some of the different styles you wear?

divachyk...Do you ever have problems with the ends being too moisturized from baggying?

Can you give examples of some of the different styles you wear?

Garner, I never have over moisturizing issues. My hair thrives on moisture and very limited protein because I have low porosity hair. I can baggy 7 days straight with no issues. By morning, my hair is only slightly damp, not soaking wet at all. I feel I control the dampness by the amount of product used before baggying. When I glob on product, my hair is very soaked. When I use a light application, it's barely damp. I have many bun pics on my LHCF blog but I typically do, high buns, low buns, french braids, fish tail braid and flat twist.

Back