Protective Styles that may cause damage

kandi1280

I realized that sometimes as I was doing my protective styles I was damaging my hair too. What are some protective styles that if not done properly or EVEN done properly have damaged your hair?

Baggying with a shower cap with my hair slightly misted with water then sealed leaves my hair too wet and it breaks and snaps when I comb. I have to use lgiht product, like sidr tree butter, keracare leave in, NTM on dry hair and wrap it tightly with saran wrap.

Baggying all week without using protein at the end of the week leaves my hair too moisturized.

- The old way of wrapping my hair , is too much manipulation and breaks my hair. - Instead I cross wrap.

- Twistouts - doing more than 5 flat twists (like conrows) makes my twistout too crinkly and it dries out and poofs out of my head. I do about four to five loose flat twists with a little salerm 21 or qhemets heavy cream. I mist the flat twists with watern and seal with almond oil. After its fully dry I take them out. The waves are much looser and easier to finger comb without snagging and snapping my hair.

- bunning my hair in the same place everday. I do a high bun for a few days then a low bun to alternate those hairs that are pulled in the back of my head because that is my problem area. Pulling on the same hairs tends to snag them.

- Air drying without my hair bunned or on rollers or something. My hair will be dry and frizzy and poofy. I can't pony tail and airdry.

These are just a few. What problems with protective styles have you ladies had and what have you done instead?

kandi1280 said:
I realized that sometimes as I was doing my protective styles I was damaging my hair too. What are some protective styles that if not done properly or EVEN done properly have damaged your hair?

Baggying with a shower cap with my hair slightly misted with water then sealed leaves my hair too wet and it breaks and snaps when I comb. I have to use lgiht product, like sidr tree butter, keracare leave in, NTM on dry hair and wrap it tightly with saran wrap.

Baggying all week without using protein at the end of the week leaves my hair too moisturized.

- The old way of wrapping my hair , is too much manipulation and breaks my hair. - Instead I cross wrap.

- Twistouts - doing more than 5 flat twists (like conrows) makes my twistout too crinkly and it dries out and poofs out of my head. I do about four to five loose flat twists with a little salerm 21 or qhemets heavy cream. I mist the flat twists with watern and seal with almond oil. After its fully dry I take them out. The waves are much looser and easier to finger comb without snagging and snapping my hair.

- bunning my hair in the same place everday. I do a high bun for a few days then a low bun to alternate those hairs that are pulled in the back of my head because that is my problem area. Pulling on the same hairs tends to snag them.

- Air drying without my hair bunned or on rollers or something. My hair will be dry and frizzy and poofy. I can't pony tail and airdry.

These are just a few. What problems with protective styles have you ladies had and what have you done instead?

I'm totally having all of the problems you listed, especially the last one. I thought airdrying was good but mine is always dry. These protective styles were supposed to help, not hurt. :perplexed

shakira74 said:
I'm totally having all of the problems you listed, especially the last one. I thought airdrying was good but mine is always dry. These protective styles were supposed to help, not hurt. :perplexed

Girl Airdrying with a ponytail is just not for me. Actually I've been airdrying in two big loose Indian Ponytails for the last few weeks and that has been working as long as I pin the braids behind me head. I also have to lightly mist my hair with water when I take the braids out. Do a crosswrap and when I wake up the next morn, my hair is nice and semi straight.

I can then bun without losing too much hair.

Back