Protective Style Tips 4 an 8yr. Old Transitioner?

Kyss2004

Hello Ladies! I really need some strong advice on my daughters hair,Okay she doesn't want to wear a relaxer anymore and she hasn't had one in 2 months,I have been using
plaits and styles like that but they get bored some times also she cannot get braids her scalp is just too tender and she will be crying her heart out,Also I have tried those twist but they just come down by the end of the day,so what is left to do? I have done roller sets etc. But I need something that will last at least a week,because school is about to start back and I do not have time to be combing and brushing every morning,her hair is very thick and she has alot on her head,Thanks Ladies! Oh! one more thing,I cannot afford to go the beauty salon so I have to do things myself
ohwell.gif

What about twisting all of her hair and using a claw to keep her hair up (very simple), french braid(s) are pretty if she's bored with plaits... Braids can always be worn for a couple of days, then worn out in a braidout the rest of the week, maybe even a ponytail braidout the last couple of days. No combing is involved and it's simple.

Hi Kyss. I know you say your daughter is tender headed but I simply HAVE to reccomend INDIVIDUAL braids. They do not hurt the way corn rows do, plus u can use a light weight hair, i.e human hair braided all the way down. I use this style on my 8yr olds hair all the time. The hair is NOT sectioned off in small parts (I do it about dime size), and I use a small amout of extension hair so that her hair will not be stressed. I find that doing this, protects her hair and at the same time, allows her to experiment with her own lil styles using clips and bows.
smile.gif

I wore two plaits until I was 10 years old. Occasionally three. Yeah, it gets boring but she's a child! I think children really need to have the simplest styles possible so they can run, play, go to school, sleep, etc. with ease. Plus that's easiest on you.

I'd stick with plaits and puffs.

she is tired of a relaxer at 8? I wish Il had her wisdom when I was 8, I probably would have never relaxed. Two strand twists would be nice to wear during trasition, that way when she wants to wear her hair down, it can be loose without worrying about tangles later.

she is tired of a relaxer at 8? I wish I had her wisdom when I was 8, I probably would have never relaxed. Two strand twists would be nice to wear during trasition, that way when she wants to wear her hair down, it can be loose without worrying about tangles later.

Even though you say her scalp is tender I still recommend cornrows. They can be simple, not too small and not too tight. Maybe you are too heavy handed, try letting someone else do her hair and see what happens.

I got a relaxer when I was 7 or 8 but my staple style was to get my hair done at the salon and put into about 8 ponytails (close to waist length hair and thick) that were then braided. Then after a couple days, the braids would be unbraided and I would wear it loose like that for a long time. Since her ends are relaxed, that style will last forever. At night, you can do each braid individually by taking it down, moisturizing it, smoothing it, etc. If you start with 8, then you can gradually reduce it down to 2 side ponytails.

And as for her tenderheadedness, I suggest the Tangle Tamer. You can get it at Target.

I put my daughter's hair in bantu knots using rubber bands soaked in olive oil. I really moisturized and put oil on the ends before sealing. Then every day and night, I spray with braid spray. When I took them down, her hair did not break and was not dry at. I also do braidouts on my daughters hair and she loves them. Right now she is wearing cornrow extentions which I did myself using very little synthetic hair. I did not braid them tight so they won't last as long but they last at least 3 weeks. I know how you feel Kyss because my daughter has a mane on her head!!! Good luck Queneesha

Thanks Ladies! Well allaboutthehair in response to your question, Yes she is tired of them and she don't like them.
It was my fault because I thought it would make her hair more managable and plus I did not have any knowlwedge what so ever about taking care of her natural hair.she got her first relaxer at 5yrs. but after a couple years her hair just completely stopped growing,I mean it stopped and then it was breaking off and dry etc. When I look at her pictures before a Relaxer her hair was just fine,I just did not have any knowledge of natural hair,I too am natural,I just chopped my hair off,I will try all of those styles and things like that and I will update you all!

Back