HELP: Transitioner needs style suggests for a wedding...

MummysGirl

... and scared of direct heat.

**Oops meant 'style suggestions' not 'suggests' in the topic for the thread but I can't edit... I apologise for the grammatical error**

Hey Ladies,
I am 5 months into my transition and I am going to be a bridesmaid at a wedding on Saturday. I'm getting my hair done by my sister's stylist (I have had my hair done by hr a couple of times, she is really good... quite scissor happy BUT SHE IS NOT TRIMMING or CUTTING my hair, it's only styling for the wedding)

My only style option at the moment is a rollerset (pink magnetic rollers, so it will be very curly) - I'll have the stylist do this so I can get under they dryer and she can style it into a curly updo. The reason why I have chosen this is I don't want any heat damage AT ALL. And I don't believe the stylist will add heat protectant to every section of my hair before she flat irons or blow dries it.

I seem to have answered my question already but: Do you have any style suggestions for a transitioner who hasn't used direct heat since her last relaxer, a transitioner who is terrified of heat damage, a transitioner who can do fine without EVER using direct heat EVER again?

Should I just stick to a curly rollerset?

Stats: Shoulder length, maximum of 2 inches of new growth.

Last edited:
I seem to have answered my question already but: Do you have any style suggestions for a transitioner who hasn't used direct heat since her last relaxer, a transitioner who is terrified of heat damage, a transitioner who can do fine without EVER using direct heat EVER again?

Should I just stick to a curly rollerset?

Stats: Shoulder length, maximum of 2 inches of new growth.

Well if curly rollersets are working for you, then you should work them. You can do a lot of things with them and I'm sure the tension from the rollers helps stretch out your natural hair. I think you should use a heat protectant though, but that's just my opinion. I know it's indirect heat, but in my eyes heat is heat.

As far as other styles, I'm fond of bantu knot outs. I'm natural and don't use any heat. Bantu knot outs are my go to style when I need to be cute (or cuter than a air dried puff). I do them on wet hair, twist large sections, then knot them up. Works like a charm. I end up with a curly fro, but since most of your hair is relaxed it'd probably look similar to a rollerset for you. And, it would also keep your hair stretched. I use Oyin conditioner for my leave-in when I do them.

Of course you can do braid/twist outs and then style them however you like. I would also say you could buy at least one wig (I use half wigs) for those days when your hair is just not cooperating and you need it to look good in a hurry. I love my half-wigs and they have saved me many times.

Thanks so much for your response and suggestions. I really should try bantu knot outs.... I think I will try them for the pre-wedding party tomorrow.

Also thanks for the heat protectant suggestion, I will definitely do that.

Well if curly rollersets are working for you, then you should work them. You can do a lot of things with them and I'm sure the tension from the rollers helps stretch out your natural hair. I think you should use a heat protectant though, but that's just my opinion. I know it's indirect heat, but in my eyes heat is heat.

As far as other styles, I'm fond of bantu knot outs. I'm natural and don't use any heat. Bantu knot outs are my go to style when I need to be cute (or cuter than a air dried puff). I do them on wet hair, twist large sections, then knot them up. Works like a charm. I end up with a curly fro, but since most of your hair is relaxed it'd probably look similar to a rollerset for you. And, it would also keep your hair stretched. I use Oyin conditioner for my leave-in when I do them.

Of course you can do braid/twist outs and then style them however you like. I would also say you could buy at least one wig (I use half wigs) for those days when your hair is just not cooperating and you need it to look good in a hurry. I love my half-wigs and they have saved me many times.

Back