Protecting the Ends

Chimma

For the No Cut Challengers and Everyone Else: What are the best ways to protect your ends so that your ends remain as healthy as possible?
grin.gif

1. No heat on ends
2. Vaseline Ends
3. Protective Styles (Do these really work for the ends? I notice that when my hair is braided, my hair ends are still exposed.)
4. ??
5. ??

Jade21, if you read this, please share your secrets. I remember that you said that you once went to get a cut and your trim line was completely intact w/ no split ends.

well, I think that braiding is a protective style because you don't have to comb it or anything, not because they always keep the ends tucked away.

I protect my ends by putting hair grease on them when they're wet. Staying away from heating appliances like curling irons helps too.

No heat - especially curling irons and blowdryers
Sealing in the moisture with vaseline or other hair grease/oil

1. NO HEAT
2. Sealing ends w/vaseline
3. Baggie technique w/phony pony - keeps my ends extra moisturized

Condition the hell out of your ends with the RIGHT conditioner
smile.gif
If you find that your ends are getting crispy for no apparent reason, start doing double conditioning. It works
smile.gif

If you have found a conditioner that really keeps your ends intact, keep using it. If not, start looking.

Make it a habit to seal your ends on a regular basis with an oil or cream. Can't recommend the vaseline/petroleum jelly 'cause I do not use. I will recommend some olive BUTTER if you are having a rough time and the oils are not doing well at the present. "Regular" means as often as needed.

Keep the heat to a minimum, especially when it is easier in the warmer months.

With protective styles, a bun does nothing for me except give me a headache
shocked.gif
Sorry, but it's true and a bun dries the stuff out of my ends and seems to work against healthy ends FOR ME. My scalp, hair length and ends do much better with circulation. With a braid, it cuts down on the manipulation. A single or two braids is/are wonderful in extreme temps...really cold or really hot.

That wonderful comment made by my barber about my trim line being intact, I still think it's St.Ives conditioners and bone combs. 'Cause I have to say, my diffuser was not on vacation then
wink.gif

~Jade~

[ QUOTE ]
Jade21 said:
Condition the hell out of your ends with the RIGHT conditioner
smile.gif
If you find that your ends are getting crispy for no apparent reason, start doing double conditioning. It works
smile.gif

If you have found a conditioner that really keeps your ends intact, keep using it. If not, start looking.

Make it a habit to seal your ends on a regular basis with an oil or cream. Can't recommend the vaseline/petroleum jelly 'cause I do not use. I will recommend some olive BUTTER if you are having a rough time and the oils are not doing well at the present. "Regular" means as often as needed.

Keep the heat to a minimum, especially when it is easier in the warmer months.

With protective styles, a bun does nothing for me except give me a headache
shocked.gif
Sorry, but it's true and a bun dries the stuff out of my ends and seems to work against healthy ends FOR ME. My scalp, hair length and ends do much better with circulation. With a braid, it cuts down on the manipulation. A single or two braids is/are wonderful in extreme temps...really cold or really hot.

That wonderful comment made by my barber about my trim line being intact, I still think it's St.Ives conditioners and bone combs. 'Cause I have to say, my diffuser was not on vacation then
wink.gif

You gave some great tips!!! What exactly did you mean by the double conditioner?

I totally agree with you on the bun thing. It totally dries my hair out. I would like to try it again this upcomming summer because I cant braid worth crap and I want to protect my hair on the days that I spend a lot of time out in the sun.

My other question is Where did you find your bone comb? Im looking everywhere. THey dont sell them at sally's I went looking today!
confused.gif

Chaya,

I bought my bone combs online at colordesignsystems.com and hairsense.com. Good luck. They really are worth the price!

which bone comb would you recommend? The ones in the picture are the same ones that you see in the store. I guess they arent actually made of bone huh
smile.gif
?

Are they seamless?plastic?
THanks!

Chaya,

Most likely the ones you see in the stores aren't real...especially if they cost under $5. I have 3 bone combs. I have a small detangler one (has a handle), a fine tooth one (small & smaller teeth), and a big rake detangler (super wide teeth from hairsense.com $17). I forget how much I paid for the other 2 but it was over $10 each. They are worth every penny and I know I will have them for a VERY long time!

[ QUOTE ]
Mija said:
homemade shea butter cream & buns

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the shea butter. I'm going to try mixing shea butter and jojoba today, and use it this week.

Ballet Bun ...
driver.gif

My hair is natural and I have not had a professional trim for over a year. I try to do some trims myself, but I protect my ends using woc gel and then put on vaseline. But I'm responding to this post because I bought a bunch of st. ives conditioners and I remember jade21 saying:
"As a quick fix to too dry ends, I always choose the Vanilla and Edelweiss. For double conditioning my ends, this works as well as the St. Ives Swiss Formula Strength and Shine". Well I put some of the Vanilla and Edelweiss on my ends after I washed my hair and I remember that my ends were extremely soft. The woc gel and the vaseline did not make my ends soft like this conditioner. I will use the vanilla and edelweiss conditioner this weekend to see for sure if it makes a difference on my ends.

hairlove, I just checked out that rake bone comb at hairsense...I was just getting ready to purchase a K-Cutter and they look similar...How is this bone comb working on your "transitioning hair?" Also, do you have a K-cutter? If so, how do they compare. Sorry for all of the ?s but I am looking for a step up from the Conair shower comb and would like to invest in a good detangler... Thanks.

Chichi
bdance.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
Where in the world are you all finding these St. Ives conditioners?
whyme.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I found my St. Ives at the grocery store. If you have a big grocery store or a super grocery store in your area, try there.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
JenJen2721 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
whyme.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I found my St. Ives at the grocery store. If you have a big grocery store or a super grocery store in your area, try there.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks JenJen. I've tried looking in the grocery stores but to no avail. There are still quite a few I still have to check, but I thought this was a pretty common brand. I've to 3 different grocery stores, Target, Walmart and Ulta. I'll keep trying. I know it has to be somewhere.

[ QUOTE ]
JenJen2721 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
whyme.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks JenJen. I've tried looking in the grocery stores but to no avail. There are still quite a few I still have to check, but I thought this was a pretty common brand. I've been to 3 different grocery stores, Target, Walmart and Ulta. I'll keep trying. I know it has to be somewhere.

Armyqt, I purchased my st. ives online because like you I searched high and low and could not find them anywhere. The company was called teebop.com and their service was exceptionable. I purchased 4 different conditioners, 2 each on Tuesday and I received my order on Thursday. I was impressed and I let them know how pleased i was and that i would be ordering from them again.

Thanks Fancypants007. I wonder why it you see all of St. Ives' other products everywhere, but not their haircare.
ohwell.gif

I can't find the St. Ives conditioners anywhere in my area either.
frown.gif

ChiChi, I do not have a K-cutter, so I can't compare the two. The rake comb works pretty well on my transitioning hair. The K-cutter is so cheap, why not try it first and see if you like it? Then, if you don't, try the bone comb.

Back