Pros and Cons of Highlights

kedra70

I'm due to get highlights next month. I'm nervous and excited at the same time - I think I've pretty much got my moisture regimen down, can any of you ladies give me some tips on protein? I use Aubrey's GPB and am not sure if I should use something stronger -- especially since highlights can sap the moisture out of your hair.

Any other tips on caring for color-treated hair would be helpful too!

Thanks!

well. I'm no expert but I have highlights.

I know for me that it is extremely important to keep my hair moisturized daily with a cream. You will probably want to do a medium (or stronger) protein directly before and/or after the highlights, especially if you will be double processed.

seeminglysweet said:
well. I'm no expert but I have highlights.

I know for me that it is extremely important to keep my hair moisturized daily with a cream. You will probably want to do a medium (or stronger) protein directly before and/or after the highlights, especially if you will be double processed.

ITA.....I have highlights and will be able to tell you from my experience. The key thing is to make sure you keep the hair moisturized on a daily basis. The highlights will dry the hair out, so the moisture is really important to make sure the hair stands don't get too dry and snap, crackle and pop. In addition to the protein treatments before and after the highlights, just make sure you put yourself on a regular schedule to keep protein in your regimen. Some people don't need the protein as much, but since my hair is very fine, I make sure I keep the protein in rotation because I try to make sure my hair is as strong as possible. Just to be on the safe side, I also do deep conditioning treatments each time I shampoo.

I heard someone mention in another thread about using shampoos and conditioner specially formulated for color treated hair. I haven't, but when I get my highlights re-done I will probably start using such products to make sure I can retain the color longer and keep the color vibrant.

Good luck on your highlights and hope the information helps!

Pros: Highlights are beautiful, If you get someone who knows how to weave the highlights to look natural (not all stylist do great highlights) and the right color for your hair and skin tone.

Cons:
* the up keep can be a pain, especially if your highlights are more blonde than red tones.
* can cause breakage if not applied properly
* hair will required extra care and attention
* may need to use special poos and condish to enhance the highlights

Back