Progress update: From BSL->Bald -> Almost SL

NaturalPath

So I started out natural in 2005 and by late 2010 I had made it to BSL(though it took me till 2007 to start navigating through LHCF and develop healthy hair practices).

Then the unthinkable happened, I cut and colored my dang hair on a whim and now I totally regret it. (Also the change in water quality from NC ->Chicago messed my hair up BAD; I moved here Fall 2010)

I am now trying to grow my hair back to BSL and then to longer lengths.

Can anyone tell me approximately how many years/months will it take for me to get it back to BSL. I am thinking that it will take me 2 years with consistent growth of .5 inches a month, along with a good sound diet and exercise.

Before I did the unthinkable:
July 11-2010

298662_815303118969_11818376_44157623_325393325_n.jpg

The unthinkable [January 7 2011]:

164826_895009027689_11818376_46314009_3949978_n.jpg

July 25-2011

188366_10100231569489799_11818376_48150645_5382191_n.jpg

NOW (dyed it again) [Pic taken Sept 2 2011]Which I assume I am neck length at this point?

305280_10100256490103689_11818376_48543821_2313084_n.jpg

Last edited:
Great progress!

I really like the red/auburn color on you.

It depends. How tall are you? BSL on me is 16 inches from the top of my head to the top of my bra. 16 inches would take 2 years and 8 months at .5 inches per month assuming you retain every bit of growth.

My hair grows a little slower than .5 inches per month. When I last measured, I had 4 inches of growth in 10 months.

I'm not sure how long it may take but at the rate that you are growing you might be there by the end of next year. It does depend on your growth rate and height. I like the color

I'm IN LOVE w/that short cut!
We luvs us some sexy short cuts here in the midwest ;)

Since the water is bad to your hair, maybe you could try using bottled water as much as possible. I saw a difference in my hair when I started using it in my moisturizing spray mix instead of tap water.

You have beautiful hair. I feel like a broken record but I am not normally a fan of hair color but your color looks great on you. I'd say you're NL. You are close to SL. I like your mohawk.

Great progress! Beautiful hair. That short cut and color was cute. Your current color is pretty as well.

Smart move OP, 'almost SL', now they can't womp on you. Lol.

Hey OP, fantastic progress indeed!

BTW I think you labelled your first pic wrong. You captioned the first image as Before I did the unthinkable: July 11-2011 and then called the second image The unthinkable [January 7 2011]. I'm guessing the year for the first image might be 2010?

Nice progress OP. The blond and red look great on you.

Are you plan on coloring while growing out to BSL? That could have some effect on how much you retain due to dryness or breakage. I live in Chicago so I know about the water quality. A good clarifying shampoo every once in awhile can help with that though.

Thanks everyone for the responses :)

Hey OP, fantastic progress indeed!

BTW I think you labelled your first pic wrong. You captioned the first image as Before I did the unthinkable: July 11-2011 and then called the second image The unthinkable [January 7 2011]. I'm guessing the year for the first image might be 2010?

Ha thx yes I labelled it wrong :)

Nice progress OP. The blond and red look great on you.

Are you plan on coloring while growing out to BSL? That could have some effect on how much you retain due to dryness or breakage. I live in Chicago so I know about the water quality. A good clarifying shampoo every once in awhile can help with that though.

I'm not really sure what my long term plans are for coloring. I normally stick with black hair dye as I am more partial to black hair. I dyed it this color since it was so "different" to what I am used to. I may attempt a redder hair color next and then just maintain a jet black color later.

Great progress!

I really like the red/auburn color on you.

It depends. How tall are you? BSL on me is 16 inches from the top of my head to the top of my bra. 16 inches would take 2 years and 8 months at .5 inches per month assuming you retain every bit of growth.

My hair grows a little slower than .5 inches per month. When I last measured, I had 4 inches of growth in 10 months.

Thank you, I am only 5'3 so I suppose I will be able to become BSL much earlier than someone much taller and with a longer torso than I have.

I am sure you will make bsl in the time period you expressed barring any setbacks. That color you have is beautiful!

You have pretty hair, great growth and great retention. It took me two years to get to the length in my siggie. I am layered bsl now and so (2 yrs 4 months to layered bsl for me). My hair grows at .5 inches for month and I do a very light trim every 3 months.

I'm not really sure what my long term plans are for coloring. I normally stick with black hair dye as I am more partial to black hair. I dyed it this color since it was so "different" to what I am used to. I may attempt a redder hair color next and then just maintain a jet black color later.

Thank you, I am only 5'3 so I suppose I will be able to become BSL much earlier than someone much taller and with a longer torso than I have.

Well, since you're a little shorter, it probably will only take about 18 months from your present length.

What kind of color do you use (permanent, semi, temp/rinse)? I'd imagine you have to use some type of bleach to get red, which could cause dryness and may hinder retention. Black is the easiest color to keep up IMO, you can do a semi and then upkeep with a rinse. That might actually work in your favor. I've found rinses (I've only used Adore though) seem to add a little extra conditioning to my hair and help with breakage.

Love your hair color. It looks great! I've found that vitamins and an overall healthy diet helps my hair grow faster (or maybe just retain length). It took me about 1 year to go from SL to BSL. However, I was relaxed at the time and was able to measure the growth easily. My hair is now mostly natural and is growing very fast. I'm still chopping off my relxed ends so I'll be stagnant on length for another 6 months or so. We have about the same length of natural hair.

Have you tried those biotin vitamins? I've heard promising things about these vitamins.

Good luck!!

Mane_Attraxion sorry I forgot what I was gonna say after I saw your first pic :lachen:

Ive seen some creative "face hiding" on this board but this on is da funniest LOLOLOL.

OK lemmi go back and see what you asked:lol:

Back