Profectiv Root Health-stretching touch ups

LondonDiva

Boy I thought the castor oil was a softening treat, but I swear by this stuff and it's the first time I've used it. I've used it on my bf's mum's hair and it really keeps the new growth ultra soft.

Now you guys know I wouldn't post about a product if it didn't work for the masses /images/graemlins/smile.gif, but I can see this working for me to stretch out my relaxer touch ups beyond 6 weeks.

I think I'll only use it for that purpose and use the castor oil/rosemary oil combo for the rest of the time.

You only need a little, and it's cheap. It's the green tub called Root Health no mineral oil or Petroleum Jelly in it either. Like I would recommend it if it had it in.

Oh dear just 3 more profectiv products to try until I've tried the whole line /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

LD, please refrain from making any further raves about products... /images/graemlins/grin.gif
But seriously, what kind of consistency does the root health have??? Is it anything like the breakfree?? Which i found very gummy and sticky. I'm thinking this might help me out BIG time with my underprocessed hair

Hello LondonDiva,

Thanks for the low down on Profectiv Root Health, you've tempted me to buy it now, but i'm wondering whether it will work well with my hair texture, because i'm natural /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Have you tried their Deep end repair and breakfree treatments? if yes, I'd be happy know your judgement on them. You mentioned using castor oil. I live in London, where is a good place to purchase high quality castor oil?

Thanks, again /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Beana it has the same kind of consistency, but it's a lot lighter. I do too find the break free sticky if I use too much. This stuff just seems to melt and gives and incredible slip on the scalp. I was like WHOA /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Put it this way i was using this stuff at 5am and gonna log on just to post about it, it was that good. /images/graemlins/smile.gif But I thought someone would see me online and think I had no life. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I don't know how it will work on the hair as such, but I guess you could try it. All i know is my hair was SMOOVE at the roots.

My bf's mum had coarse hair coming through (as a result of medication we think) and her new growth felt really good before we did her touch up on the weekend. It parted like a dream. " of us worked on her head and we applied all the relaxer in 10 minutes and spent another 10 smoothing. I'm not joking I don't think we would have been able to do it that quickly if she never moisturised the new growth.

Hey Den /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Now i don't think you'll have any problem being natural and using the root health. It makes the hair in the scalp area sooo soft IMO. I guess if you use it and don't like it then post it onto me girl /images/graemlins/grin.gif and also it's £2.99 for the product so it's not that much to lose, but a whole lot to gain if it agrees with you.

I use the break free (purple tub) and I love it. I use it on a daily basis and get build up if I use too much. I like to slick my ponytail down with it but it's a great moisturiser. For a natural like yourself I'd use it to do 2 strand twists or chiney bumps or something like that the yellow one is good for that too, a little goes a long way and it gives a great slip, something I've never looked for in hair moisturisers but I will now. It holds moisture really well. Again it's the same price and if you don't like.... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif well you know send it on over /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm not sure which is the deep end product you're referring to, but I've tried everything but

the 60 second reconstuctor (bottle)
The anti itch serum (clear bottle)
The Pink profectiv tub

As for the castor I wouldn't know a good quality one if it bit me on the butt. I buy mine from the cost cutter down my way that sells hair products in the back. It's a brown bottle that says west indian castor oil ,and thats it for 99p /images/graemlins/smile.gif It's very thick and doesn't have a strong smell, it smells quite nutty if anything. Try those West Indian food shops or indian run food places that sells everything (lol) you should be able to find castor oil there is anything. In which area of London are you in? I could post you the 99p bottle if you have trouble finding it. Unfortunately I haven't been usuing it long enough to give you a great castor oil review.

Hey LD, I've used the Root health too /images/graemlins/grin.gif, but I find that it had the same ingredients as the Mega-Growth, but only an extra maybe 3 or 4 different things. So, I just use the Mega-Growth and Break Free. I think Break-Free has the same base ingredients, but some extra ones also. But I think I'll try the Root Health again. It aided with dandruff GREATLY and it was more thin. Talk about a PJ! But I don't even need grease anymore thanks to Profectiv!

Thanks for that tip, LD. I also find the Break Free gummy and like Beana I get build up if I use too much of it. I use Break Free after a shampoo but before a roller set - it makes the hair really soft, even if you used a conditioner with great slip.

Root Health is the only Profectiv product in the tub that I don't have. What Karonica said about the Root Health and Mega Growth having the same ingredients is something I noticed with all Profectiv products. They all seem to have the same ingredients, maybe listed in a different order or with one or two products having an extra ingredient that the others didn't. All in all, they work really well in softening new growth. I love their Healthy Ends too! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey LD. I was in Sally's this weekend and had the root health and the breakfree in my hands. After reading the ingredients, I put them back, cause I too noticed that the ingredients were similar to the megagrowth. And the way my closet is looking, I have waaay too many products. Thanks for the tip. I'll probably go pick it up anyway. I love the megagrowth. Thanks for the review. Oh BTW, you should be the Posterchild for Profectiv. /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
LondonDiva said:
Hey Den /images/graemlins/wave.gif

Now i don't think you'll have any problem being natural and using the root health. It makes the hair in the scalp area sooo soft IMO. I guess if you use it and don't like it then post it onto me girl /images/graemlins/grin.gif and also it's £2.99 for the product so it's not that much to lose, but a whole lot to gain if it agrees with you.

I use the break free (purple tub) and I love it. I use it on a daily basis and get build up if I use too much. I like to slick my ponytail down with it but it's a great moisturiser. For a natural like yourself I'd use it to do 2 strand twists or chiney bumps or something like that the yellow one is good for that too, a little goes a long way and it gives a great slip, something I've never looked for in hair moisturisers but I will now. It holds moisture really well. Again it's the same price and if you don't like.... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif well you know send it on over /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm not sure which is the deep end product you're referring to, but I've tried everything but

the 60 second reconstuctor (bottle)
The anti itch serum (clear bottle)
The Pink profectiv tub

As for the castor I wouldn't know a good quality one if it bit me on the butt. I buy mine from the cost cutter down my way that sells hair products in the back. It's a brown bottle that says west indian castor oil ,and thats it for 99p /images/graemlins/smile.gif It's very thick and doesn't have a strong smell, it smells quite nutty if anything. Try those West Indian food shops or indian run food places that sells everything (lol) you should be able to find castor oil there is anything. In which area of London are you in? I could post you the 99p bottle if you have trouble finding it. Unfortunately I haven't been usuing it long enough to give you a great castor oil review.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi LD,
Thanks for replying to my post, I think I could definitely benefit from Profectiv Root Health, as my new growth tends to be so coarse and tough to comb..ouch! /images/graemlins/frown.gif Their product line sounds brilliant, I have heard a lot of positive feedback from other women too. Well, thanks to you, I've made my decision to try the Root health.

The deep end repair that i had mentioned earlier, is actually the sub-heading on the label (Sorry) i must have sounded confusing /images/graemlins/confused.gif the correct name is Healthy ends! In practice does it strengthen and moisturise hair ends, without leaving a greasy build up?

Now regarding the Castor oil; there are a few Indian shops down the road from me, I'll check em out tormorrow. I live in the East London area, Have you heard of Manor Park? its on the Romford Rd. If i don't have any luck, finding a shop that sells castor oil (even though it should'nt be that difficult), I'd more than grateful if you can forward it to me, as long as its not too much trouble.

Thanks /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I went out and bought the Root Health on my lunch break today. I already have the healthy ends and I love it! I'm experiencing a lot of new growth and fast!!! I needed something to tame it. Hope it works. I'll keep you guys updated!
Jen

Hey Den 1,
You can get West Indian castor oil from Stratford in either Queens Cosmetics(Inshops) or African dreams(high road).

Vivien said:
Hey Den 1,
You can get West Indian castor oil from Stratford in either Queens Cosmetics(Inshops) or African dreams(high road).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello Vivien,
Thanks very much, for your help. I'll pop round to Queen's Cosmetics torrmorrow. There is actually another branch in Green Street opposite Queens market, which is more accessible for me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

You know what though Kit Kat

Even though the ingredients are more or less the same for all 4 tubs, the consistency and the way each one works seems to be totally different. Before we went Profectiv crazy I bought any one of them at random, because I thought it was a company ploy to sell as much as they could by packaging them 4 different ways. I paid no attention to what they were used for at all. Until I started reading the threads on here and trying them one by one, they all look, feel and act differently on my hair. I don't like the pink one, the yellow one is growing on me but used sparingly the purple and the green tubs are my fave ones.

I'm looking forward to trying the 60 second reconstructor though. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't like the pink tub either LondonDiva. It's really thick and almost solid like. I love the green tub. I use it on my roots and my ends and it works great. I haven't tried the purple and yellow tub. But I've been using the green tub for a while.

I like the purple (Break-Free), the yellow (Mega-Growth) tubs. I haven't tried the pink tub for ends because it is smaller than the rest, and I'd rather use the thick, creamy Break-Free for that. I love Mega-Growth because it is very thick, which is good for coating the ends, or simply for setting braid/twist-outs! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

The temple stuff? Oh heezy. That's what I meant! Lol I won't buy that either! Waste of money. I recommend the basics:

Break-Free
Mega-Growth
Mega-Moisturizer
Anti-Itch Serum

and you can pick and choose the rest. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I really like the pink tub - it's a great heat protectant. I think that's why it's so thick. Also, I used the Root Health last night and it's a much thinner consistency and it felt really soothing to the scalp and it did have a softening effect on my new growth. I only had to use a little too. I think it's gonna last a while... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

LD, you have a point. They all feel different on the hair (well, I can only speak of three of them). I like the pink one and the one in the yellow tub, which has a consistency like ORS Carrot Oil. The purple one is /images/graemlins/down.gif in my opinion unless used right after shampooing.

60 second reconstructor, huh? I might have to give that one a shot!!

I used some last night. Feels like the stuff loosened my new growth and underprocessed curls! HALLELUJAH!

Now, I still need to figure out if I'll put braids in. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Congrats Karonica. I used mine last night too. It made the hair at the root super soft. I think this month I can defintely stretch the relaxer tolonger than 6 weeks on account of this stuff.

LD,

We must be on the same wavelength girl because I love this line! It is the bomb. I used the pink one over a year ago way before hair care boards, and I finished the entire tub. It was great and I did not just apply it to my ends either. /images/graemlins/spinning.gif

I bought the 60 second reconstructor on Wednesday. I never even knew that they had this product! I have to TOTALLY familiarize myself with this line!

I saw it in a West Indian grocery store as I was on my way out my eye caught the little peach- coloured bottle sitting on the shelf all alone and wham I had to go back and investigate. When I saw that it was from the Protective line, I just had to have it. /images/graemlins/lick.gif

My hubby just looked at my and shook his head as I eagerly paid for it. /images/graemlins/assimilate.gif

I cannot wait to try it. If you do try it in the next few days please let us know how you find it and I will do the same. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Julia

I used the 60 second reconstructer from Profectiv yesterday and wasn't pleased with it at all. /images/graemlins/nono.gif I won't be purchasing this again, but I hope you had better results than I did.

Profectiv's......a blessing/images/graemlins/angel.gif, i use the purple, yellow, green and the pink and the temple balm - they all keep my hair feeling like silk. /images/graemlins/bouncy.gif

To me the pink one is the best its soooooo creamy and possibly my favourite thing to put on my hair.
However i have found that the purple one works best just after i've washed my hairwhen dry its no so effective.

However since using profectiv's i no longer need hair gel so i have been wheened off my obssesion with the elasta qp glaze..... /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif

Almond_Delight said:

However since using profectiv's i no longer need hair gel so i have been wheened off my obssesion with the elasta qp glaze..... /images/graemlins/wallbash.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Which you blame me for /images/graemlins/smile.gif

yep, but in a good way......i don't think the people at elasta are gonna feel the same way though, i swear imust have been one of their best customers...... /images/graemlins/perplexed.gif

Really? What about it were you not impressed with? Did you keep it in for only 1 minute? I was planning on keeping it in longer. I have not used mine yet..now I am not so excited anymore but I will try it anyway. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

LondonDiva-

Thanks so much girl for turning me on to the Profectiv. I bought the 60 Sec Hair stuff (liquid) last week and the Root Health just this weekend.

I think I have finally found my "new growth smoother" for when my hair is NOT wet. I REALLY like the Root Health. I will definitely be repurchasing this stuff when my jar is used up. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I used it today on my new growth (I have 2 inches or so of new growth) and with the use of a soft brush was able to pull my hair back into a VERY SMOOTH AND SHINY chignon! After it dried (the Root Health is very creamy), my hair was very soft to the touch.

You girls who are naturals should try the Root Health on your hair! This stuff probably works really well on naturals.

I used the 60 sec Hair Strenghtener last week when I washed my hair. I used it as a leave-in (mostly on my roots) before roller-setting. It worked okay. Not bad, I just didn't notice anything "remarkable."
I also used it to slick down my new growth last week (this is what I initial bought it for), but now that I have the Root Health, I realize the RH does a MUCH better job on the new growth.

I probably won't buy the 60 Sec stuff again, but like I said that Root Health is a keeper!

One thing: I noticed the RH has tea tree oil in it, will that eventually dry out my hair? Are any of the other Profectiv creams BETTER than the Root Health (the green one)?
Roothealth.jpg

GO HERE FOR FREE SAMPLES OF PROFECTIV PRODUCTS!! www.strengthofnature.com/forms/samples.html

Back