Products that cause pimples

anniev2

I have been trying Elasta QP Mango butter. I'm not that excited about it because it doesn't' seem to do what it should. Anyway, I've noticed that when I use it I get these painful pimples around my edges. Its not like they can be burst or anything and I think i've found the pattern from when i use the Elasta QP Mango butter.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? I'm wondering if I can possibly isolate the ingredient if others share their experience and their product. I want to try and stay away from this if possible.

I stopped getting acne when I stopped using products on my hair. I don't know if it was a particular ingredient or not. Sorry my post was no help. :hide:

I know glycerine causes my skin to have those types of pimples. Maybe that's what's happening with you.

thanks ladies for your input. i can't wait to get home and see if glycerine is the culprit. i'll let ya know!

Here's a list that I bookmarked from Urban Skin Care Solutions Center's web page:

http://www.urbanskin.com/stayingclear.html

Here's a list in a nutshell (this is for the ladies with sensitive skin. Many people can use lots of the below-mentioned products and NEVER break out):

Evaluate all hair products if breakouts are concentrated on the hairline, temples, sideburns, scalp, neck or back. Avoid products containing the fatty acid isopropyl myristate and its chemical cousins, sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), laureth-4, cocoa butter, coconut oil, shea butter, vitamin E, carrot oil and most natural oils, except safflower, sunflower and mineral oil. If you must use hairspray, cover your face with a cheap paper plate. The “paper plate trick” won’t work with oil sheen, braid spray or products from companies listed below.

Avoid pressing creams and oils, oil-sheen, braid spray, curl activators, scalp grease, brown gel, Paul Mitchell, Joico, Aveda, CitreShine, Isoplus, Proline, ProStyle (except Clear Ice), Nioxin Protectives, Design Essentials, Garnier Fructis, Carol’s Daughter, Warm Spirit, Mixed Chicks, Pink Oil, Crème of Nature, Botanicals, Carrot Oil, Sensitive by Nature, Keracare, Kerapro, Optimum, Dudley, Matrix, Bone Straight, Suave, Mane and Tail, Glover’s, Dark & Lovely, Aussie, Motions, Abba, S Curl, Kemi Oyl, Care Free (except Care Free Lite), African Pride, Organic Root Stimulator, Doo Gro, Bumble & Bumble, Pantene Pro V for black hair, IC products, Let’s Jam, Bed Head, TCB Hair Food, Murray’s, Duke, Sulfur 8, Blue Magic, Sportin’ Waves and all products containing oils, fatty acids, bergamot, aromatherapy and essential oils.

Safe to try: Pantene Pro V Always Smooth (formerly Smooth & Sleek), Color Revival, Classically Clean and Hydrating Curls shampoos and conditioners (not the ones in the brown bottles formulated for black hair), Free & Clear, Correctives Laminate, Care Free Lite Instant Moisturizer, Care Free Lite Gel Activator, ProStyl Clear Ice, Pro-Tec Clear Gel, Original Infusium 23 spray leave-in, American Crew Firm Hold Gel, L’Anza Leave In Conditioner, Nioxin Actives, Three Flowers (Tres Flores) Pomade and Brilliantine Oil, Afro Sheen, Vaseline, Clinical Formula Self-Emulsifying Oil, sunflower oil and safflower oil.

Bumping for others that may have this problem like me.....

I've found that products with oils in them make my hair look great but they make my skin look terrible :sad:

yes, the same has been happening to me! i never used to get pimples in my hairline until i started using lustrasilk shea butter mango... im not sure which ingredient is making me break out or if its just clogging my pores. i use it only on my length and ends now and not close to the root.

Apparently every hair product that works for my hair.... as soon as I started to get results on the hair growth end my normally flawless skin is breaking out along the hair line and on my back.... I used to think it was the GNC HSN but I haven't taken tho for a bit..... alas I bet its topical since my eating habits are pretty good and haven't changed that much since my hair care journey, but if anything have gotten better...

Kinky curly custard created a pimple in my edge, I don't know why but I will still continue to use it lol I love KCC

some of these products may be comedogenic, (comedones are blackheads or whitehead) which can block pores and cause acne flare ups. if you have products that contain earth based ingredients (mineral oil, petroleum etc...) or even glycerin because it pulls or traps moisture in, make sure to use sparely because this will cause build-up on the hair, leading to build-up on your face and neck area.

I think glycerine is giving me pimples on my forehead. I started using Profective Anti-thinning Temple thick stimulant. Now I've got tiny bumps on my forehead that I'd never had before.

I was blaming biotin for my breakouts and my sister suggested that what ever "oils and herbs" I was using could be the culprit. After reading this thread I am thinking it could be the glycerine in my spray. So I am doing an experiment I am not spraying my hair at night. I am spraying my hand and spreading it through my hair. I am also trying really hard not to touch my hair or face.

man right now i broke out something serious i havent had bumps like this ever yikes so now im keeping my hair off my face and doing a mask every night dam thing taking too long to clear up

Anyway im done with the rant
I used Organics horsetail and rosemary oil and apparently my skin hates it

Hmm..I don't really have acne now (because of Yaz) but I had bad acne a year ago. When I first started my hair care journey, I was using products like Herbal Essences conditioners (filled with cones)! and they would give me annoying bacne.

Back