PRODUCTS FOR TWISTING

Mandy4610

What do you guys use? I like more natural stuff.
Right now I have ORS Twist and lock gel, it ok, but I am looking for something better.
I also just got Qhemet Honeybush tea gel, I am yet to try it property in order to see if it works for me or not. Its very light and kind of running, I don't know if that a good thing or not..yet.

Please share what you use.

TIA

I still have some areas of my hair to nurse back to health before I can start wearing twists, but when I twist for twist outs, I like using leave-in and oil, or leave-in and BB Mayonnaise and Honey...both combinations give me soft, juicy, moisturized twists.

I melt down some almond or olive butter in a glass jar and add cheapie conditioner until its a nice consistency. If I'm looking for extra hold, I'll use elasta QP glaze, just a little to add control. Too much dries out my hair. But for the most part I just use the conditioner and butter mix.

I like Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter. It has kind of an earthy smell which I'm not a fan of, but it makes nice smoothy shiny twists. There's a pic of twists in my album.

Rign now I am doing twist outs and I use conditioner, shea butter, and coconut oil. My twist outs come out with mega shine and softness.

The best combo for my twists have been using Oyin Honey Hemp as a leave-in, and using Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding underneath. After I am done twisting, I spray my twists lightly with Oyin's Juice's and Berries, and seal with Monoi De Tahiti Oil.
I honestly haven't found a substitute for the Miss Jessie's yet, (I want something more natural), but this seems to be the only product that offers sheen and hold, without making my hair dry, and flaky. (I use a TINY amount per twist). My hair is generally uber soft.

i twist with either my shea butter mix or qhemet biologics heavy cream.
i also like jane carter twist and lock.

For my daughter's twists, I use castor oil and Darcy's Botanicals Coconut Butter Styling Pomade.

I use Lustrasilk Olive Oil Cholesterol (on wash day braids/twists, when my hair is slightly damp) and seal ends with EVCO.

Not sure about the mango kind, but this one is also okay on dry hair - so its great for re-braiding or twisting the 2nd or 3rd night.

I also switch it up, since I like the softness/fluffiness and scent of my hair when I use Giovanni Smooth as Silk. I rotate products period though.

Last edited:
I used to use ORS twist and lock gel but it made my hair really flaky once I took them down for a twist out so now I use aloe vera gel and organix coconut milk split end mender

For dry hair, I use the Jane Carter Solution Leave-In and Hairveda's Almond Glaze.

For wet hair, I use different things depending on my hair's needs and how I'm feeling:
Hydratherma Naturals Daily Moisturizing Growth Lotion
Jane Carter Solution Hair Nourishing Cream

I prefer thick/creamy hair butters for my hair

Afroveda's Shea Amla or Cocolatte
Blended Beauty's Happy Nappy Styles or Curl Styling Butter
KBB's Hair Butter(Vanilla Latte)
Qhemets Amla & Olive Heavy Cream and Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm mixed

A blend of unrefined shea butter, castor oil, evoo, coconut oil, and aloe evera gel. It's the best thing for my hair/twist.

Rusk Deep Shine Kelp Conditioner--it is blue and amazing. I don't like shea for my hair, and gels are hit or miss(they tend to dry flaking and hard) but the Rusk Deep Shine conditioner makes my hair feel soft as can be and it doesn't dry sticky, tacky or flaky.

My top favorites are 1)Carol's Daugther Healthy Hair Butter and 2)Miss Jessie's Buttercreme (Buttercreme w/either Meringue or Pudding or Stretch Silkening Cream for twistouts).

On dry hair, Devacurl Set It Free and on the ends, some sort of creamy butter that has hold - Afroveda Kinky Curly Custard, Botanical Spirits Kinky Coils custard or Curl Junkie Honeybutta leave in.

Back