Product Review: Pure Glycerine *concentrate*

Peachtree

Hey y'all,
I've Just discovered a marvelous new moisturizer
love.gif
that works wonders on softening & straigthening my new growth. It also keeps my length hair very moisturized & shiny ALL DAY, without leaving a gunky, oily feeling.

Ok, here it is...... Pure Glycerine *concentrate*,
notworthy.gif
in a yellow bottle, black cap & writing. It costs $3.59 for 8 Fl. oz.

Ingredients: Pure glycerin

It reads "an economical way to make hair soft & easy to manage. Adds a glistening, healthy-looking sheen. With no greasy build-up. Makes the perfect curl activator or regular conditioning spray. Conditions afros & relaxed hair and activates the curl."

Directions... "Simply mix with equal amout of water in a spray bottle. Apply generous amounts to hair and scalp. Best results after the third day of use."

I have occasionally mixed it with other products with good results, but I've never used it as directed.... until last week.

I mixed it in a spray bottle with distilled water then applied it to my "dry" hair until fully wet. I then made a bun & allowed my hair to air dry. I intentionally did not add any oil cuz i wanted to see what results i'd get from the glycerine/water alone. When dry, my new growth was INCREDIBLY SOFT, to the point that I could run my fingers through it from forehead to neck.
trampoline.gif

I'm 12 wks post relaxer & my new growth is MASSIVE...curly, wavy & THICK... for the past 4 or so weeks i have not bothered it much, trying to avoid breakage, However, now I can do as i will with it.... I'M AMAZED AT THE SOFTNESS!!!

Now I can't wait to try this on wet hair
trampoline.gif
. when I do, then I'll make sure to update this thread. BTW, If u like S-Curl, then u'll also like this... it's the 2nd ingredient in S-Curl (behind water).

Just thought I'd share this with my crew!

Re: Product Review: Pure Glycerine

OK I have one question -- is the July challenge still on? You know the one I'm talking about? Something about products hmmmmmm LOL

Re: Product Review: Pure Glycerine

Hey there,
I'm not in the challenge
nono.gif
laugh.gif
. I'm free as a bird to buy at will
laugh.gif
. I've actually had this glycerine for several months... but I'm going product shopping tomorrow
laugh.gif

Glad its working out for you!!
smile.gif

I use pure glycerin also...I love it. I had been flashing back to when my hair was long and gorgeous...one of my main staples was %100 pure glycerin.

Hello Peachtree
wave.gif

I'm one step ahead of you. I already use this product and love it. I know exactly which bottle you're talking about. If you decide to buy it in bulk or a larger bottle, Camden/Grey (sp??????) has it for pretty cheap on-line. It's only $8 for 64oz. Hey, keep the reviews coming
trampoline.gif
trampoline.gif

[ QUOTE ]
And to think I signed my name up for the friggin July challenge,...

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
. Well u only have 21 more days to go
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And to think I signed my name up for the friggin July challenge,...

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif
. Well u only have 21 more days to go
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
That seems like an eternity!

[ QUOTE ]
Glad its working out for you!!
smile.gif

I use pure glycerin also...I love it. I had been flashing back to when my hair was long and gorgeous...one of my main staples was %100 pure glycerin.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely a staple now
love.gif

Yeah. That's one way of looking at it....But its good. Its literally stopped me going out and buying after reviews like this one would have.

I already use scurl anyway and love it so that'll keep me going till I choose to go for glycerin.

[ QUOTE ]
Hello Peachtree
wave.gif

I'm one step ahead of you. I already use this product and love it. I know exactly which bottle you're talking about. If you decide to buy it in bulk or a larger bottle, Camden/Grey (sp??????) has it for pretty cheap on-line. It's only $8 for 64oz. Hey, keep the reviews coming
trampoline.gif
trampoline.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks gurl
cool.gif
I'm gonna need to buy bulk cuz girlfriend's gettin' low
laugh.gif
. I truly appreciate it
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Peachtree. Here's another one to add to my list. Where do you get it from?

[/ QUOTE ]

No prob luv
cool.gif

From a local (Asian) bss. It was also in a local health food store, but it was $1 more...

[ QUOTE ]
Peachtree does it make your hair feel sticky?

CICI

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all.

Let me add... when 1st applied on dry hair, it is wet & slick / oily. But when dry, it is *Not* oily at all. "Sticky" doesn't even come into play. S-Curl has a "sticky / gunky" feeling to it, Not pure glycerine. (Just for the record...I love me sum S-Curl with it's gunky heavy feel to it...I know that it's weighing down my hair... that's a plus for my updo's).

I used to use glycerin on my skin and it would make it soft and moisturised when I put it on, but when it dried it would be sticky and and shiny, but not really moisturised anymore. I wonder of it would have the same effect on the hair.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Peachtree. Here's another one to add to my list. Where do you get it from?

[/ QUOTE ]

No prob luv
cool.gif

From a local (Asian) bss. It was also in a local health food store, but it was $1 more...

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks Peachtree!

I am finding this thread very interesting. Some of us have been talking about using glycerin/water sprays (instead of s-curl) for a while now. Now it's like nobody ever mentioned it on here before. I guess that's the reality of hair forums. It depends on who is doing the posting.
smile.gif
Glad you all are becoming interested in this because it is a good alternative to the store bought products that do the same thing.

I can't remember where, but I know that I read recently that over time, glycerin weakens the hair...
confused.gif
(trying to remember where I read that!!!!
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I can't remember where, but I know that I read recently that over time, glycerin weakens the hair...
confused.gif
(trying to remember where I read that!!!!
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Lindy
Yeah, I've read that here too somewhere... and believe me, I'm VERY, VERY CAREFUL about what I put in my hair. I'm not trying to lose length nor thickness, u know? But as already mentioned, I'll agree, "moderation is the key".

I'm using it primarily to soften / straighten my "12 wks post relaxer" new growth, which it does splendidly. After touching up on Sept 1, I'm going back to my distilled water mixed with Hot 6 oil as my primary moisturizer. When the new growth becomes unmanageable again (12 wks), then it's back to the pure glycerine.

Thanks for reminding me of the drawbacks luv.

Hey Peachtree
wave.gif

In addition to adding it to my spray bottle, I also a tiny drop of it with some conditoner as my leave-in. Turned out very nice!!! Hair is nice, shiny and soft!!

Back