Product Junkie Confessions

Miosy

I added up all my reciepts for the month of August and I can not believe I spent $230 on my hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am a serious junkie. I bought a shower filter for $60 dollars, $45 on Hairbonic products and $42 at the Vitamin Shoppe; which where my most expensive items and the rest where little things here and there that added up.

Am I the only fool here wasting money like this.....I made myself a $10 dollar budget for Sept. I feel like I am going through withdrawls now
nuts.gif

Yes, I am also a product junkie. I can't stay away from conditioners. I have about 15 of them in my closet as I type.

I think that I have spent around $100 dollars this month on products alone. I didn't need any appliances but if I did ... I don't even want to think about how much I would spend!!!
laugh.gif

It will get less and less as time goes on and you get more "set" (pun intended) in your hair routine
smile.gif

I've been on the hairboards for a year now and I'm doing much better in my spending, but --baby let me tell ya...I was a mess when I first started. I'd always kind of liked to try different things, but the boards multiplied it by like 50X. I was so bad that I had un-used products in my house now just because I couldn't live without knowing I had access to a certain product for when I was READY to try it.
laugh.gif

I haven't totaled my receipts but I know they are not far Miosy's level: visits to health care store to 'stock up', bought a flatiron--why? I don't heat style!

Supergirl: I wish I would start getting 'set in a routine' that is flawless. I'm tired of the frustration of finding a bunch of cool stuff and getting unfortunate results. Or using the products I do like, the wrong way...and wanting to buy more as a correction.

I want to be cured!!!
ill.gif
nuts.gif
angeldevil.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl: I wish I would start getting 'set in a routine' that is flawless. I'm tired of the frustration of finding a bunch of cool stuff and getting unfortunate results. Or using the products I do like, the wrong way...and wanting to buy more as a correction.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no Kaela--it's not flawless! I am definitely still an explorer. I've had fun trying everything and I haven't thrown anything away--but I have come to the realization that I'm just not going to be able to incorporate everything I like into my routine. You will fall in love with more producfs than you can actually use most likely.

But that's okay--because if it's a financially tight month for you, then you're well stocked with other alternatives to your regulars
smile.gif

I'm a mess
laugh.gif
... since I'm just starting to make a regimen I find myself going to or planning to go to the beauty supply store ALL the time. I always want to perfect my regimen
sekret.gif

wave.gif
thanx Supergirl

this board is just a teaser...like that Joico K-Pak thread...I just want RUN to the store and try out the whole line (since I love Joico Resolve and Integrity).

And the more bans I put on myself, the more I want to purchase anyway...just for the joy of *having* it
spinning.gif

and you will find yourself trying to talk yourself out of stopping by the beauty supply and then if you do go, you'll tell yourself you're just going to browse. Then you'll try to talk yourself out of buying something. But you'll buy it! This will also happen at the regular grocery store or drugstore.

I heard about soft additictions on the radio when I was majoring in PJism and it worried me--but I look at it as a hobby. My mother collects dolls and antiques. Us gals collect hair products and enjoy getting our hair in the best condition possible. Besides, it is better to have a healthy hobby rather than a negative addiction
smile.gif

That's my story and I'm stickin to it
smile.gif

Kaela, me too w/ Joico K-Pak...I was tempted but then I added up everything and said "no way".
Joico is on my wish list and some of Carol's Daughter stuff too!!! OH BOY...will it ever stop....is there a Product Junkie Hot line somewhere cause I need it
phone.gif

I think I've spent more since I came to this board than I've ever spent on my hair! But it's been pretty fun and fortunately, what I bought I really needed to add to my regime, such as certain vitamins, books, extra large hair rollers, styling tools, etc.

As I mentioned on another post, I found a brand new Caruso Molecular Styling Rollers system at a garage sale the other day for only $7!
shocked.gif
Everything, including a set of extra rollers was intact in sealed plastic. It had never been used. I asked the woman why she was selling it for only $7. She said she was the type to buy something and never use it or wear it (probably a product junkie like us!). Her receipt was stuck on the box for $47.95 + tax! For me, this was a very good buy for my hair.

I think what we are doing is all part of loving our hair. Notice, those that really do love their hair have very healthy, beautiful hair (long or short). They are giving more attention to their hair.
smile.gif

That's a good site KM24. I still don't believe that any vitamins will make hair grow faster. I do believe they can make it stronger and healthier.

I have gone from being a clothes horse to a product junkie (LOL)! But, in my case, it's less expensive being a product junkie.

The sales associates at my local Sally Beauty Supply have gotten to know me on a first name basis (LOL). Trade Secret is becoming a close second.

northernbelle

Speaking of products...

I checked out the Lavett and Chin website.
fan.gif
Some great stuff there for hair, ladies.

And you think Joico is pricey?
shocked.gif

northernbelle
laugh.gif

I don't know how much I have spent on products this month, HOWEVER ....

I get to fly home in 11 days. I'm taking a extra EMPTY suitcase to bring things back in. I have my route all planned out. First, I'm going to the Wal-Mart in Cleveland Height, because they have quite a bit for AA hair. Then, right next door is Star Beauty Supply, and behind that is Sally's, and this one has quite about for AA hair too. I was even thinking about buying an extra suite case, and paying the airlines $90.00 so that I could have 3 suitcases ... buy enough to keep me stocked up for 2 years.

Is anyone beginning to think that I need a 12 Step Program for PJism ...lol! Hey ... what's a sister to do way up here in Viking Land ... lol. I will try to make it to Olso, at the advice of HIZA, who so nicely provided me with a few number of places.

Happy PJism!

Ballet Bun ...

shocked.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Girl! I thought I was the ONLY one that did that! I would never have admitted it!
laugh.gif
The shame, the dishonor....

My checkbook sure tells the story tho.
smirk.gif

Ballet Bun,

Since you are coming to the US, I think it would be a great idea for you to stock up when you get here. It would probably even save you lots of money (as far as ordering online and paying for shipping / handling). Girl, take that one extra suit case. I would do the same if I were in your situation. Have fun.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a link I want you to read. After reading this, I hope you will think twice before spending $500/ year on vitamins. www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/suppinsurance.html I'm so amazed how advertisers try to convince us to spend our hard-earned money on things we really don't need! Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though I'm not real big on taking vits (I am taking them for four months to see if there is a difference in my hair, if no difference, oh well), I have to take into account that this doctor is no more or less of an authority as the countless doctors who think it wise to take vitamin supplements. Therefore it all comes down to whatever floats your boat. If people on here see progress with vitamins, then it's hard for me to wave it off if all other factors have remained the same, although I don't advocate popping pills as a substitute for good healthy eating (um, even though I don't eat right).

I am a pj in denial but since school starts back I will not have anytime to be shopping so all the products that I have incorporated over the summer will be used up in time

Uh...I don't even count how much money I spend on hair products. I don't wanna depress myself!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ballet Bun,

Since you are coming to the US, I think it would be a great idea for you to stock up when you get here. It would probably even save you lots of money (as far as ordering online and paying for shipping / handling). Girl, take that one extra suit case. I would do the same if I were in your situation. Have fun.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Allandra,

You have no idea how much fun I plan on having. What more could a PJ want ... The Promise Land Of BSS's ...
love.gif
lol! The extra suitcase might be going a tad bit too far, but then again ... it's not... especially like you said ...shipping and handling, plus being taxed 24% of the value if it's ordered outside of the country ... paaaa-leeze! Talk about annoying.

Ballet_Bun ...
rosebud.gif

Ballet Bun, I totally understand! I have a cousin in the caribbean who is 23 years old and quite lovely. I have taken it upon my self to help her hair grow --well let me tell you I have spent a small fortune on vits and products. However, when I talk to her and she reports her progress it makes it all worth it. And I am having a ball at the BSS all guitlt free coz it's for my cousin. Now I do pick up stuff for myself also but only to make sure it works before steering her wrong. hehehe

[ QUOTE ]
Ballet Bun, I totally understand! I have a cousin in the caribbean who is 23 years old and quite lovely. I have taken it upon my self to help her hair grow --well let me tell you I have spent a small fortune on vits and products. However, when I talk to her and she reports her progress it makes it all worth it. And I am having a ball at the BSS all guitlt free coz it's for my cousin. Now I do pick up stuff for myself also but only to make sure it works before steering her wrong. hehehe

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm ... would you like to be my cousin ... lol. I just couldn't hold that in
rofl.gif

Ballet Bun ...
rosebud.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The sales associates at my local Sally Beauty Supply have gotten to know me on a first name basis (LOL).
northernbelle

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto on that! One of the clerks in my local Asian bss asked where I had been because she was so used to seeing me everyday. I missed a few days due to lack of funds. Needless to say I made up for those missed days!

Back