Problem hair at the nape area

garr6982

Does anyone have problem with breakage at the nape area. I notice it more in the Winter due to all the turtle neck sweaters, coats, and scarfs, but what's the best way to protect the hair and grow it back?

Thanks!

Ms. Kenesha also posted an article about relaxing. It said something very interesting about breakage in the nape area. Something like when the stylist gets ready to rinse out the relaxer, she lays our head in the shampoo bowl. Well the relaxer at the nape gets on the neck-hole of the bowl, so after she rinses the nape and lays our head back down, he/she is laying our head back down onto the part of the bowl that actually has relaxer on it. It's important for them to rinse the neck hole of the bown before laying your head back down on it.

Good point Supergirl!

Yes overprocessing is a great factor in this area breaking. That is always the area that the relaxer is put in first unless you ask otherwise. They just assume that is the most coarse part of your hair. In my case it is not! I had been suffering with the breakage in the back for about ten years.

When I started this my hair was non existant in the back. I make sure I keep this area moisturized as much as possible. I alternate between S-curl and Joboba oil for this area. I make sure I wear a satin cap at night and sleep on a satin pillow case. I try not to manipulate this area too much because it is extra dry and very prone to breakage. I recently braided my hair and was able to braid this area with no problem. Before I would have to leave that area out.
I just make sure I treat this area with extra TLC and it is coming along quite nicely. I am so proud. When I start relaxing again, I think I will not relax this area but once or twice a year to prevent overlapping and overprocessing.

I have some breakage in my nape area, too. I believe it's from 5 things:
1. relaxer breakage
2. wearing my ponytail too tight
3. wearing my night scarf too tight
4. not moisturizing this area
5. putting my hair up in a high ponytail to sleep at night
6. my stylist not trimming my hair layer by layer but just trimming it at the bottom thus leaving some ends untrimmed

Since I've started taking "better" care of my hair, I've noticed it growing and getting healthier. I moisturize my edges every night. I wear my hair loose at night (clipped on the top of my head). I don't wear my ponytails too tight and if I put my scarf on tight, it's only for a short while to "set" my hair (2 hours at the most). And I make sure to tell the stylist to trim my hair "underneath", too.
Now I'm curious about the trimming thing...

Thanks everyone!

The funny thing is that I noticed more breakage after I started my natural endeavor
shocked.gif
! I am totally confused about that! I have been moisturizing more but need to quit putting my fingers in it and twisting it
spank.gif
!

I am going to bite the bullet and buy a satin pillowcase since I've been making one for the last 2 years and have I made one?
nono.gif

I think that will work better since scarves never stay on my head long.

Someone (on this board, can't remember who tho) also mentioned applying EVOO on that portion of your hair. Since it stays moisturized, it should be able to "heal" and gro.

Back