Press my hair for Micros

Loves Harmony

I was suppose to go in get my hair braided today, but i had to call in cancel the appointment. The lady wanted me to press my hair in order to get my hair done. I explain to the lady that i do not own an hot comb nor an flat iron since i went natural. She explain to me that my hair have to be str8 and she will press my hair for me before she start... I called back in cancel. Never heard such a thing......:nono:

Don't let her straighten your hair! Your hair only needs to detangled (bring your own wide-tooth comb) and show her that your hair is comb-able. But strightening natural hair before braiding will just make the BRAIDS look messy sooner when your hair reverts back.

I'm natural (coily 4a) and used to get micro braids often. It is important for the briader to works with your texture and braid all of your hair so that the braids will look nice longer.

A GREAT braider can take 4z hair and make it blend with human yaki hair!

People who want to straighten before they braid seem so clueless to me. The notion is the straight hair matches the extensions better and blends better, but that's so unnecessary. In fact, it's dumb coz when you wash your hair, the hair will shrink and gather up the extension hair like an accordion, making your hair look untidy prematurely. I once took a photo of my hair before and after braids to show someone that it's possible to get the natural hair to blend in with extension hair in a way that the texture difference isn't so obvious.

Sometimes I feel like going to give these people a demo. Good grief!

Here's another demo of how my natural hair blends in well so you can't really see where it ends. Compare the bottom left pic, where my hair was looking untidy after a wash--as will sometimes happen when you wash braids w/ human hair--with the pic bottom right where I've redone the braid. My own hair is well tucked into the braid so that the texture difference is hardly noticeable.

Afterawash-vi.jpg

I have pressed my hair - only lightly for braids... however - I have also braided upi without any pressing.
I have blown dry my hair so that the stylist wont RIP throughmy strands... they are usually not as careful as I am.

But - I think it is a toss up.... it is really up to the talent of the braider.

BTW- NONIE. you are the BRAID QUEEN!

I agree with the others. I don't think it's necessary to press your natural hair before getting micros.:nono: I've seen a lot of natural ladies getting their braids done at the African Braid shops. By the time the braiders are finished, you can't tell the difference.

I have pressed my hair - only lightly for braids... however - I have also braided upi without any pressing.
I have blown dry my hair so that the stylist wont RIP throughmy strands... they are usually not as careful as I am.

But - I think it is a toss up.... it is really up to the talent of the braider.

BTW- NONIE. you are the BRAID QUEEN!

I made an appointment to get my weave done, and I mentioned to the stylist that I was about 90% natural. After I heard the hesitation in her voice, I decided to blowdry my hair so she wouldn't feel tempted to do anything crazy out of frustration. When I went in, it was much easier for her to handle.

I had a braider tell me I should press my hair next time I make a appointment for microbraids, after I showed up with 6 months of newgrowth from other sets of braids. She said my hair was so thick, but she dealt with it and did them tho...

Like someone else said I think it has to with the talent/skill of the braider you have.

I am prob going to get micros in sept and I was planning on blowing my hair out a little before I go just to make it easier for them.

Idk about the blending thing, I have seen ppl with natural hair get micros and you could not tell texture differences. But it could be a possible issue as to why she wants your hair semi straight before hand.

Last edited:
True I dont have an problem with blow drying but im not letting her touch my hair with a pressing comb. oh no So im going to stick with the lady that i always go to. She was book til next month and i wanted my hair done bad but not that bad.

Back