Preserving My Sexy: How do I maintain 2nd & 3rd day hair on my braidout? *PICS*

Diva_Esq

Ladies,

I am loving my latest braidout results! :grin: The secret, I believe, is less product (I used my spray bottle con & water to dampen & a touch of ecostyler on cornrowed hair (6 rows) with a perm rod on the ends).

Now, I'd like to preserve my look to rock it again Sunday and maybe Monday.

What do you do to your hair at night to sleep on your braidouts?

What should I do to my hair in the morning to make it look fab again?

Thanks in advance for your advice! Oh yea, and here are my pics:

picture.php

picture.php

This is more defined and less frizzy than my 1st braidout attempt, b/c I didn't let it dry completely before taking out the braids before:

picture.php

^^^^^ BAD BRAIDOUT! :wallbash:

Thanks for looking.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/picture.php?albumid=4044&pictureid=32230

Last edited:
I pile it at the top of my head and put a bonnet and scarf on.
sometimes i'll twist a few sections, clip them to the top of my head and put a bonnet and scarf on. HTH

then the next day, I just loosen it and finger style with coconut oil

Yup I agree, Satin Bonnet. Sometimes if it really starts to look funky I rebraid in larger braids at night and just take them down in the morning to refresh it a bit...but thats normally not until the end of the week.

It looks really nice and shiny btw

I will normally rebraid every night...in 4 - 6 plaits, moisturise & seal the ends and roll the ends on a perm rod. HTH
Your hair looks lovely btw

Thanks ladies! Didn't know if I had to rebraid under my bonnet...and I figured that it'd be flat if I didn't but wasn't sure Thanks for the compliments.

Does anyone dampen or re-wet?

Nope u shouldn't have to dampen or rewet and rebraiding is optional. Def not necessary for 2nd day hair. Maybe 4th day and after or when it starts to look flat/frizzy. I actually like the way my braid outs/ twist outs look when they get older

on you tube, there are two users who did braidout maintenance videos: Kissseventyseven and zanandrob, they both rebraid it at night.

Your hair looks cute!

I just wear a silk-ish hair bonnet. I've actually found that my twist-outs last longer than my braid-outs. I always have to re-braid my braid-outs to keep them fresh. I have no idea why.

Nope u shouldn't have to dampen or rewet and rebraiding is optional. Def not necessary for 2nd day hair. Maybe 4th day and after or when it starts to look flat/frizzy. I actually like the way my braid outs/ twist outs look when they get older

You are so beautiful! Love the siggy pic!

Oh and I think I have the same headband as you. Is it the one with the elastic on the back?

Yes it is! Got it from Walgreens! :)

Very cute hair!!!:grin:

Thanks!

Last edited:
I wear my hair primarily in braid outs for 2 weeks at a time. I can't imagine having to rebraid my hair at night. That too much darn work.

I say the secret to maintenance is to start with a great set to begin with. I use Lottabody and then go under the dryer. Every night I slip a bonnet over my hair...and that's it.

I consistently get compliments even up until my wash day. Very low maintenance.

I wish I could throw on a satin bonnet...I guess I'm one of those folks that has to re-twist each night.
Re-wetting isn't necessary to me (in fact I think twistouts done on dry hair look even better) but I always re-moisturize and add mousse :yep:

I didn't re-twist but I slep in a hairnet & satin bonnet & it looks good. I'll post my 2nd day hair. I re-moisturized with EVCO & slicked edges with GF wax. I popped on a different headband and voila! :D

Thanks! Love u ladies 2 pieces!

I wear my hair primarily in braid outs for 2 weeks at a time. I can't imagine having to rebraid my hair at night. That too much darn work.

I say the secret to maintenance is to start with a great set to begin with. I use Lottabody and then go under the dryer. Every night I slip a bonnet over my hair...and that's it.

What type of moisturizer do you use during the 2 weeks? Any issues with "itchies"?

Gorgeous braidout! My twist/braidouts are busted are my cardio workouts so now I'm experimenting with weaves and halfwigs that give the same look. I would love it if my hair wasn't so soft that it 'flops' and frizzes with sweating.

Nothing to add...but your braidout is too cute!! I know u are planning to cut but I can really see you rockin' that style for while..

(smacks tongue) Girl u know u got that gurd hair - your edges are so smoooooove!!!

Last edited:
Nothing to add...but you braidout is too cute!! I know u are planning to cut but I can really see you rockin' that style for while..

(smacks tongue) Girl u know u got that gurd hair - your edges are so smoooooove!!!

Thanks girl! LOL, and Garnier Fructis Wax & Ecostyler helps! :yep:

I'm the same way. I wear twistouts though and I use Lottabody setting lotion. Before I untwist my hair, I put aloe vera gel on it and then blowdry it with a handheld dryer until it's completely dry. Then I carefully unwind each twist. At night I put some leave in conditioner, coconut oil and a whole lotta hairspray on it and then I cover with a satin bonnet. Lasts me two weeks! No rebraiding and low maintenance! A pic is in my siggy and on my member profile page.

Back