Prepping Natural Hair for Braid/Twist Extensions

RayRayFurious

Hi ladies,

I've been natural since July and am thinking about getting some braids or twists to get me through the rest of the winter.

How do you prep your natural hair before going to the braiding salon?

I've gotten braids before more times that I can count. I'm thinking wash, DC, but should I blow dry? I haven't given my hair a blowout since June and never have done so on natural hair. Lately, I've only been using my blow dryer with diffuser. I'm in a TWA -- or maybe a TA -- now, so I have some hair to work with, though not a lot.

Thanks for your help!

Wash, condition, moisturize and prep in in large, well dentangled box braids or twists.

Good luck :)

I suggest making that your moisture/protein balance it in check. Wash, mild protein, overnight dc. Hair extensions can be very drying.

Since your hair is TWA length, I don't really think it is necessary to blow it out. But yes, wash, & DC with a shower cap on, under the dryer if you can. For at least an hour.

I don't usually do protein prior to braids.

How long is your TWA when stretched And how tight of a curl do you have? If you have at least 3 inches of hair when it is stretched then I would say you should consider blowing it out lightly before you go. low heat, medium air.

If your hair is shorter than that stretched, then don't worry about a blow dryer.

What I do is clarify, reconstructor, sulfate free moisturizing poo, then DC overnight and detangle. Don't blow dry your hair because it stretches the hair and when you wash it while in braids it will shrink.

Last edited:
Wash, condition, moisturize and prep in in large, well dentangled box braids or twists.

Good luck :)

Thank you!

I suggest making that your moisture/protein balance it in check. Wash, mild protein, overnight dc. Hair extensions can be very drying.

Very true! My hair gets really dry in extensions. Thanks!

Since your hair is TWA length, I don't really think it is necessary to blow it out. But yes, wash, & DC with a shower cap on, under the dryer if you can. For at least an hour.

I don't usually do protein prior to braids.

How long is your TWA when stretched And how tight of a curl do you have? If you have at least 3 inches of hair when it is stretched then I would say you should consider blowing it out lightly before you go. low heat, medium air.

If your hair is shorter than that stretched, then don't worry about a blow dryer.

My hair is about 4 inches, longer in some places stretched. Thank you!

What I do is clarify, reconstructor, sulfate free moisturizing poo, then DC overnight and detangle. Don't blow dry your hair because it stretches the hair and when you was it while in braids it will shrink.

Thanks for the tip. My hair is a little sensitive to protein, so I will have to try something lighter than a reconstructor, but thank you.

When I had a TWA, I had to blow it out before I got it braided. I just did a simple wash, DC, and blowout to prep for braids.

I say blow dry. The reason is if you don't, the ladies (if they are like the ones that did mine) will pull it really hard in an effort to make it "neat". Then some of them will use that annoying gel mixed with pink lotion mixture on your roots to make them lay flat.

I always wash and deep condition my hair .I make sure I use a creamy leave in conditioner.

As for blow drying it depends on your braider. Some braiders will rip threw your hair if you do not blow dry. I try to blow dry my hair myself with a good heat protection. One time I went to get my hair braided and the braider started blow frying my hair before I could say anything:ohwell:. Make it easier on the braider and on your hair, I would blow dry before I get there.

Last edited:
growafrohairlong has some great resources for braiding hair for extended periods of time. If you or someone who you trust is doing your hair, stretch it with braids and be gentle. if you are paying someone you don't know, I say blow it out before you go.

Just deep condition as much as you can before and after the brainds or twists. I hope you enjoy them.

I always wash and deep condition my hair .I make sure I use a creamy leave in conditioner.

As for blow drying it depends on your braider. Some braiders will rip threw your hair if you do not blow dry. I try to blow dry my hair myself with a good heat protection. One time I went to get my hair braided and the braider started blow frying my hair before I could say anything:ohwell:. Make it easier on the braider and on your hair, I would blow dry before I get there.

One time that happened to me too!

Back