Prepping hair for hair braiding?

mstankers

I am getting my hair braided next week. I am getting cornrows (not too thin or too tight). Should my natural hair be blowdried or can I go with it air dryed. When it is blow dried it is straight but if not it tends to get kind of knotty. Any suggestions?

Are the Africans doing it? They can work with just about anything.... I go wet/airdried. I'll wash my hair the morning I'm going and put it in a ponytail... I live in CT and go to NYC to get mine done so by the time I get to New York, it's somewhat dry. But they take the pony tail down and the rest air dries while they're braiding.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Crystal said:
Are the Africans doing it? They can work with just about anything.... I go wet/airdried. I'll wash my hair the morning I'm going and put it in a ponytail... I live in CT and go to NYC to get mine done so by the time I get to New York, it's somewhat dry. But they take the pony tail down and the rest air dries while they're braiding.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks. the africans are doing it. i am going to the place today to look at their style book

Oh, you could ask them today what they prefer. But I'm so scared of heat in my hair at this point until I would just go air dried... Trust me, they can work with it... I've seen them girls do things with hair that are borderline miracles.

Crystal said:
Trust me, they can work with it... I've seen them girls do things with hair that are borderline miracles.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm confused, do the way that africans do hair differ to how americans do hair?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Crystal said:
Oh, you could ask them today what they prefer. But I'm so scared of heat in my hair at this point until I would just go air dried... Trust me, they can work with it... I've seen them girls do things with hair that are borderline miracles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, I am scared of the blow dryer too! I am definitely going to ask today. Will report back later on what they say. LOL @ the miracles you have seen them perform. Do tell /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ngaa said:
Crystal said:
Trust me, they can work with it... I've seen them girls do things with hair that are borderline miracles.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm confused, do the way that africans do hair differ to how americans do hair?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They just have ALOT of skill (in my opinion) they are the faster braiders and the best weaver's ive ever seen so far!

mstankers,

I definitely recommend you blowdry your hair prior to having it cornrowed. My hair is natural and more than a couple of times I let my hair air dry and it was MURDER I tell ya. Also take into consideration if you let the Africans do it you can be sure they will tack a charge onto the braiding fee.

really?? i didnt realise that there was a diference between the braidin skills. thanx for answerin my question /images/graemlins/grin.gif

elite_chiq said:
ngaa said:
Crystal said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They just have ALOT of skill (in my opinion) they are the faster braiders and the best weaver's ive ever seen so far!

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone has also told me they are great weavers too. Have you gotten a weave by an African?

I went to the braider today and she said I should have my hair blowdryed as it will be easier for her and less painful for me:) She suggested I use synthetic yaky hair instead of synthetic. What do you guys think? I will start a seperate post just in case no one checks here anymore. Thanks

Hmmm....I dunno. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I am considering putting braids in my hair this Friday, and I was wondering how to prep my hair. I guess I'll airdry, by washing it on Thursday. That should give it a chance to dry. Now, I just need to think whether I'll use blonde braids or the darker ones mixed with blonde. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ngaa said:
really?? i didnt realise that there was a diference between the braidin skills. thanx for answerin my question &lt;img src="/images/graemlins/grin.gif" alt="" /&gt;

[/ QUOTE ]

Ngaa, I have never let a non-African braid my hair, in fact, I'm not getting my hair braided till I go home. Its just looks neater, and they braid faster.

[ QUOTE ]
elite_chiq said:
[ QUOTE ]
ngaa said:
[ QUOTE ]
Crystal said:

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm confused, do the way that africans do hair differ to how americans do hair?? &lt;img src="/images/graemlins/confused.gif" alt="" /&gt;

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, my mom had two african friends (one eithopian one eritrean) and I've never seen anyone braid so fast or neat in my life. I learned from watching them but I am still nowhere near as good.

i'm getting my hair braided in a couple of weeks also and i would recommend that you do blow dry it. and also have a deep conditioning treatment before hand.

Back