PreMarital Counseling

What is premarital counseling like? depends on where you go...ie Church vs. a Counselor
What does it cost? mine was $50.00
What do you do in it? we completed a lot of exercises and homework assignments that were tailored to ensure we knew each other and understood the commitment of marriage

Do you recommend it? Absofriginlutely!!! It uncovered so much and made sure we were not basing our decisions on our personal feelings alone-hence why I am still unmarried to this day!

All the best to ya

:look::blush:

Wow, it actually motivated you two to split?

I wouldn't put it like that but we realized it wasn't the right time to take that commitment. I can't say it motivated us to split...but it was real, upfront and personal. It removed all the euphoria and we could only look at the reality of the situation. Ours was church based and our teachers really focused on the roles & responsiblities of each party and whether or not God was the head of our decision. On the 'judgement' session, we decided it wasn't the right time. Who's to say it won't happen in the future but as of today, right now, and this moment it ain't happening.

It depends largely on the counselor, the setting, and the people involved. The outcome is similar to making a cake...you can get red velvet or chocolate depending on the ingredients involved. I enjoyed it because we had a GREAT counselor, and we were both honest with her so it was productive.

The cost varies as much as the counselors do. Ours was $90/hour.

What you do also varies widely...some folks just talk, some have you do exercises, some discuss childhood, sometimes you answer questionnaires, other times you address issues with the other, discuss perceptions of marriage, problems, etc. Some counselors have a set curriculum that they use for premarital situations while others address specific needs of the couple.

I VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY highly recommend it. There is, IMO, nothing more important. The ring, the chapel, and the invitations can wait. Premarital counseling is an INVESTMENT in the marriage...or a sobering revelation of the reasons there shouldn't be one...

HTH

Back