Pre-Relaxer Treatment Suggestions

CokoQt

I am looking for a prerelaxer treatment product for the next time I relax my hair --- something designed specifically as a prerelaxer treatment to help prevent overlapping damage instead of what I usually use (serums, vaseline, or conditioner). I am considering Design Essentials Protect + Pre-Chemical Pre Relaxer treatment but cannot find it available online. Does anyone use this or a similar type product? If anyone knows where this can be purchased online, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
I don't know of any pre-made serums per se but I use a mixture of vaseline and the neutralizing shampoo.

I will bump this for you ...

I am looking for a prerelaxer treatment product for the next time I relax my hair --- something designed specifically as a prerelaxer treatment to help prevent overlapping damage instead of what I usually use (serums, vaseline, or conditioner). I am considering Design Essentials Protect + Pre-Chemical Pre Relaxer treatment but cannot find it available online. Does anyone use this or a similar type product? If anyone knows where this can be purchased online, I'd appreciate it.

Eventhough i used ORS i bought affirm protecto and i put this all over my hair to protect i was pleased

I don't know of any pre-made serums per se but I use a mixture of vaseline and the neutralizing shampoo.

I will bump this for you ...

I didn't think of mixing the two but that sounds like it would be a good alternative.

Have you seen Mizani's Honey Shield?

http://www.mizani-usa.com/default.aspx?m=55&p=5100&rid=100

I've never tried it but I plan on buying some after I finish up some of my other products. I wish it came in a smaller bottle. The last time I relaxed I used Vitale base creme and a whole lot of Amla oil lite. My stylist raved about how good of a pre-relaxer job I did and it was the first time in years that I didn't burn at all from a relaxer. :yep:

Have you seen Mizani's Honey Shield?

http://www.mizani-usa.com/default.aspx?m=55&p=5100&rid=100

I've never tried it but I plan on buying some after I finish up some of my other products. I wish it came in a smaller bottle. The last time I relaxed I used Vitale base creme and a whole lot of Amla oil lite. My stylist raved about how good of a pre-relaxer job I did and it was the first time in years that I didn't burn at all from a relaxer. :yep:

Thanks! I have never tried the Honey Shield. Does anyone know if the it can be applied to new growth and the previously relaxed hair? In reading about Affirm Protecto, I see that Protecto can be applied to both.

how did it make your hair feel? soft? hard? did it have slip?

It made my hair feel oily cause is oil when i put it on....manageble while being relaxed and it washed out fine...my hair came out nice and it was soft...what sold me on the protecto was the fact that it claims to condition your hair and seal cuticles it also helps with split ends i believe.

Thanks! I have never tried the Honey Shield. Does anyone know if the it can be applied to new growth and the previously relaxed hair? In reading about Affirm Protecto, I see that Protecto can be applied to both.

You are only supposed to put it on the relaxed hair to prevent it from being overprocessed. You are to avoid the new growth.

^^^^^ That's what I was going to say- UNLESS you desire underprocessing and a lot of people do this to do more of a texlax.

I use Motions Kids(lye)....Can I use the honey shield or the protecto? would there be any adverse effects??

Kiki82

Last edited:
Back