pre-marriage checklist

Innocent_Kiss

Okay, not really a checklist, but say you and your significant other are contemplating marriage.what are some general things you should do prior to marriage? Please list everything you can think of: from types of counsel and financial task to important conversations you and your SO should have. Thank you!

I'd like to know too. Me and my SO are planning on getting married within the next two years and we've already started discussing important matters now.

I'm just going off of things that me & my SO have talked about doing before we get married.

• Me living on my own to learn independence.
  • Both of us improving our credit & paying down/eliminating debt.
  • Being completely sure that this is what we want.
  • Learning how to effectively work through problems.
  • Ensuring we're on the same page with raising children.
  • How we're going to handle finances (our own accounts for personal things like cars, beauty, clothing, cell phones, etc. as well as a joint account for household things & stuff for the kids).
  • Saving money to purchase a home as soon as we can.
  • Making sure we're able to communicate with each other openly and honestly.
  • Not being so selfish with our generosity (basically not keeping score of who did what for whom).
I can't think of anything else. LOL.

• Taking care of our personal debt
  • Individual counseling- he's already done it, I need to do it...
  • Couples counseling/premarital counseling- things are great now but I think it would only enhance what we have
  • Discussing how we will raise children, how many we want to have, if and when...
  • Joint and individual accounts
  • Buying a home

My SO and I are getting married 8.30.09, here's some of the things we've discussed thus far (wedding plans aside):
  • Decreasing/Completely paying off debt
  • Repayment of my student loans
  • Plans regarding career choices for both of us
  • Spirituality and our common ground (He's Muslim, I'm more of a Unitarian Universalist with a Muslim and Christian background)
  • Children - how many, when, etc.
  • Our living arrangements for the future in regards to purchasing a house (right now we share an apt.)
  • Strengthening and maintaining our family bonds
  • Maintaining a strong line of communication
  • Maintaining our healthy form of arguing
  • Making sure that the other person's needs are met
  • Saving money for rainy days
  • Making sure that marriage is really the right road for us - as in, "I want to make this last. I have no plans of getting divorced from you in the future. I hope you're on the same page." LOL

I’m so glad you asked this question. Too many people avoid these issues because they fear discussing them may cause conflict which could dampen the festive mood of a wedding. They fail to realize that, after people have stopped fawning over the bride, the life of the wife begins. These issues cannot be avoided, only addressed before they arise or during the course of a heated argument.

My husband and I talked about nearly everything before we got married so a lot of things just came up in conversation. Based on my experience, here are some issues (in no particular order) that I’d strongly recommend people addressing before they get married:

1. Children- Do you want any? If so, how many?

2. Managing finances- Will you have one account? Separate accounts? Who will be responsible for paying the bills?

3. Your personal finances- This is a touchy subject, but it can’t be avoided. When you get married, what’s “yours” becomes “ours”. Not only will your spouse’s credit rating impact your ability to get a loan for a car, home, etc., depending upon their level of debt, you will wind up helping them repay it in one way or another. No one likes to feel that their spouse is focusing on their wallet/bank account and nothing else, but it’s really not fair to blindside your spouse with your financial woes either. To this end, you want to tie up as many financial "loose ends" of your own as possible before you get married.

4. Boundaries with friends and family- While you may think it’s great for your home to have a revolving door for your friends and family, your spouse will probably disagree. Respect of your spouse by your friends and family is mandatory. Personalities may clash, but at no point should anyone feel as though they can come into your home and disrespect or undermine your husband. You have to make sure that your family and friends understand and respect the position your husband holds in your life before you get married.

5. Conflict resolution- If you are contemplating marriage, you already know how the other person approaches conflict. You should really discuss, however, how you will approach conflicts regarding each other’s families.

6. Decision making- How will issues get resolved in your household. It’s all fun and games until a man who feels that he should have the last word on all issues marries a woman with a 50/50 approach to everything.

7. Chores- Who is going to be responsible for doing what around the house? It might sound like micro-managing your marriage, but a whole lot of people have a whole lot of fights about it.

8. Religion- Do you have a religious affiliation? If so, how strong are your ties? Can both of you handle the possibility of being married to someone who has religious/spiritual convictions which differ from your own?

9. Values- This is a HUGE umbrella and covers everything from what you want to instill in your children to your stance on some political issues. This won’t seem like a big deal until your are faced with a problem in which the solution will be based on your respective values/beliefs.

10. Health- Do you have any underlying health issues? What, if any illnesses, run in your family?

11. Hobbies- It’s great to have a life outside of your marriage, as long as it doesn’t interfere with your obligations as a husband or wife. Both of you have to decide “how much is too much” in terms of the time and money you invest into hobbies.

Good luck and I'm interested to see what everyone else has to say!

One more thing- Don't forget that you and your spouse have the final say on your marriage. Other people will be tempted to give you (unsolicited) advice and the two of you will be tempted to take it. Every situation is different and what works great for one person in their marriage could be terrible for the two of you (and vice versa). Commit yourselves to taking things one day at a time and resolving your problems between the two of you.

Last edited:
Thanks ladies. These are great places to start. We talk about marriage often, but I hadn't thought about a lot of the topics that you posed.

My SO and I are getting married 8.30.09, here's some of the things we've discussed thus far (wedding plans aside):
  • Decreasing/Completely paying off debt
  • Repayment of my student loans
  • Plans regarding career choices for both of us
  • Spirituality and our common ground (He's Muslim, I'm more of a Unitarian Universalist with a Muslim and Christian background)
  • Children - how many, when, etc.
  • Our living arrangements for the future in regards to purchasing a house (right now we share an apt.)
  • Strengthening and maintaining our family bonds
  • Maintaining a strong line of communication
  • Maintaining our healthy form of arguing
  • Making sure that the other person's needs are met
  • Saving money for rainy days
  • Making sure that marriage is really the right road for us - as in, "I want to make this last. I have no plans of getting divorced from you in the future. I hope you're on the same page." LOL
aww you'll be getting married on my 24th birthday if god spares my life....

Sorry for the hijack.

I think an often undermined aspect of marraige is dealing with physical attractiveness, keeping fit, exercise and nutrition/eating habits.

Also, intimacy issues and stress management are two things that need discussion.

I noticed you ladies mentioned bullets like healthy arguing, problem solving, etc Have you had success in this? What has worked for you?

I noticed you ladies mentioned bullets like healthy arguing, problem solving, etc Have you had success in this? What has worked for you?

Me and my ex talked about marriage a lot. We had healthy debates. A lot of topics that I read on this forum i brought up with him and we were both SHOCKED at each others responses sometimes...you think you know someone until you ask them ONE question.

So we had good debates. Healthy arguments..what would you do if i did this, that and the other...What would your mother say if did this or that...all kinds of stuff...Taboo subjects

Talk about abortion, HIV/AIDS, economy, coke vs pepsi, we talked about my hair issues and how it relates to marriage...nothing should be off limits.

Me and my ex talked about marriage a lot. We had healthy debates. A lot of topics that I read on this forum i brought up with him and we were both SHOCKED at each others responses sometimes...you think you know someone until you ask them ONE question.

So we had good debates. Healthy arguments..what would you do if i did this, that and the other...What would your mother say if did this or that...all kinds of stuff...Taboo subjects

Talk about abortion, HIV/AIDS, economy, coke vs pepsi, we talked about my hair issues and how it relates to marriage...nothing should be off limits.

Great point :) Perhaps I was a little unclear. How do you all handle arguments? Not neccessarily debates about different topics, but arguments. Me and my SO, we usually fuss it out and make back up again, but a very important element I've noticed he lacks in our relationship is solutions. We'll argue about something, everyones upset, we'll eventually talk it out, and make back up. He very rarely poses a solution and the problem usually arises again - and we go through this never-ending cycle of ranting and fighting and then making up. Very unhealthy.

You should get that book by Dr. Robin Smith. The black lady who is always on Oprah. She wrote a book about a pre-marriage checklist and what you should ask before getting married. Good stuff.

Book is called Lies At The Altar; The Truth About Great Marriages

Click here to read reviews:http://www.amazon.com/LIES-AT-ALTAR...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209439289&sr=8-1

Yeah, I actually got this audio book from iTunes.

Great book, I love Dr. Robin, gives ur *** a real reality check!

When will people ever get past the fairytale of marriage??!! :spinning:

Bump, every now and then I :bump: old subscriptions.

This one seems very timely.
Big Hugs to my "Grieving" LHCF Sister.....

Back