Post-Relaxer Care

Hi Ladies,

I've got some questions for those that relax and/or self-relax.

I was on the Christmas Stretch Challenge and am happy to say that it was a success.

So much so that............I began to get nervous & paranoid about relaxing/self-relaxing. For years (20+) I've self-relaxed with very little problem if I couldn't afford or make it to the salon so logically I don't think I should have one but I don't know, I just felt an undescribable fear of sidetracking or sabotaging my hair goals.

Well, I bit the bullet and made myself get over that and I self-relaxed today ending my relaxer stretch just shy of 24 wks.

My question(s) are in regards to the hair-care routine you follow immediately afterwards and in the early following weeks.

Do you switch up anything as far as frequency of shampooing, conditioning, deep-conditioning and/or hot oil treatments?

Do you switch shampoo or conditioner formulas to accommodate the change in your hair's present texture/state (i.e. -- fresh chemical application)?

Is there anything you just absolutely won't or don't do that's contrary to your normal routine?

If possible please give the names of products, I don't have a really concrete routine in place but I rotate between a few hair products that seemed to have worked nicely for me. I'm a little shady on which conditioners may be damaging or counterproductive.

Thanks in advance!!!!

ADDITIONAL INFO:

I presently use very little heat or thermal appliances. Mostly, I either airdry, sit under a hood dryer for no more than 30-45 mins. or use a diffuser attachment on the blow-dryer to dry my ends if they're still wet in the morning. I only used thermal heat twice since July (I flat-ironed my hair twice in December trying to look snazzy for the holidays & my birthday).

First and foremost, please allow me to congratulate you for successfully completing the Christmas Stretch. As President of the Christmas Stretch Club (:lachen:) I'm always excited to see members succeeding and leaping towards their hair care ambitions. :clap:

Now to answer your questions...

Do you switch up anything as far as frequency of shampooing, conditioning, deep-conditioning and/or hot oil treatments?Compared to the weeks just before my relaxer, yes. During weeks 8+ post relaxer, I start doing mid-week CO washes to keep my new growth pliable and manageable. In the first 8 weeks following my relaxer, I don't CO wash. I shampoo/deep condition once a week w/ Nexxus Therappe & Humectress (soon to be J/A/S/O/N Sea Kelp or Biotin). I deep condition at least once a week regardless of what's going on; my hair loves it. :D

Do you switch shampoo or conditioner formulas to accommodate the change in your hair's present texture/state (i.e. -- fresh chemical application)? I haven't in the past, but I experimented w/ Nexxus Assure tonight, and I think I would choose to use it the week after my relaxer if I were going to continue down the paraben path. My hair had a strength to it after the poo that I haven't had w/ other poos. I do switch up the ingredients in my conditioner concoction though. In the weeks immediately following my relaxer, I'll usually add rosemary (strengthener) essential oil and honey (emoliient).

Is there anything you just absolutely won't or don't do that's contrary to your normal routine? No b/c I avoid damaging habits to begin with.

HTH

{DI}

Back