Post-Bun Hair?! Help!!

drappedup

Okay, I tried googling and searching engining this already, but I couldn't find anything that resembles my issue. :ohwell:

Basically, my hair is scrunched and "bent" whenever I take my hair down from my bun. I don't get why this happens to my hair, but not other women I know who also wear their hair in buns for work. If I literally have my hair up in a bun for over a few hours when I take it out of that bun my hair has been shaped or molded or something and is all scrunched some kinda way. Why is this happening? Is it my bunning technique? I do the typical sock bun-esque style of bunning.....I moisturize and use oil.....I use ouchless scrunchies.....I move my bun around every few days, yet I always end up with this weird post-bun hair. And the only way to get rid of it seems to be to flat iron or wash my hair all over again. I say this, because even after "running" my fingers through my hair to straighten out the strands they are still kind of shaped awkwardly.

I've never bothered to ask anyone, because I wasn't sure if this is common or if it's something I'm individually having issues with, but what is the problem? I can't help but wonder how some ladies can take their bun out and their hair is shaped just fine like their hair was never in a bun. I wouldn't care so much if I didn't have to wear my hair up in a bun everyday for work, so basically everyday I'm left feeling dissastisfied once I'm off work and go to check on my hair.

I don't get it! What am I doing wrong? Or is this normal? :sad:

Last edited:
You hair gets "set" in the bun position. This is perfectly normal. Think of it as putting a roller in our hair and when you take it out, your hair has a curl. Instead, your hair is getting set in the shape of your bun.

I don't know how else to explain it, but this is perfectly normal. Textured hair generally sets better than straighter hair.

Do you have a picture of how you bun? You may be able to shape your bun kind of like a pin curl so that it has more of a body wave or curl instead of a dent when you take your bun down...

Maybe your bun is too firm or you are using too much product before you bun. (btw that post-bun dent is normal especially on AA hair)

^^^ co-signing with Solitude. I've seen some buns around here that look pin curlish and I assume the take down leaves beautiful waves. Also I just wanted to throw this out there, do you put satin over the sock so the sock doesn't absorb all your hair's moisture?

I'm going to assume you mean this for straight hair?

If I do a sock bun my hair comes out crazy looking, sticking out at all angles. If I do a bun like this where I just grab the hair and twist it around, then pin it underneath, it turns out fine, just a slight wave the to hair or a bit of a curl at the end. It doesnt last long though because my hair is so heavy and stubborn ;)

DSCN0571-vi.jpg

I wear my hair straight 90% of the time and when I take my bun down it gives me "beachy" waves. Also, I prefer hairsticks to elastics so there is less tension on my bun and it's not so tight. The bend is more pronounced when I wear elastics.

Back