Porosity Issues

According to this if your hair didnt sink its good thing......
This test procedure evaluates the hydrophobicity of hair after treatment with the compositions disclosed below:
Dry hair fibers were cut to about 0.635 cm (about 1/4 inch) in length and weighed to about 0.02 gram. The hair fibers were spread out on a piece of glazed paper within a one square centimeter area. The fiber mass was transferred from the paper and placed gently on the surface of water ( about 40 ml of water in a 50 ml beaker). The length of time the fiber mass remained floating before sinking into the water was recorded.
If the hair was hydrophobic, it would float on the surface for over an hour. Hydrophilic hair fibers, on the other hand, would sink into the water within 30 seconds. Under this test, normal untreated virgin hair was hydrophobic whereas hair that had been chemically treated with an oxidative hair tint, bleach and/or permanent wave products was hydrophilic.

It seems hydrophobic is a good thing since normal virgin hair does shy away from water... i think it just means your cuticle is well intact,, its not an issue... http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:HBFl4p1_tn0J:www.freepatentsonline.com/4614200.html+hair+porosity+test+sink&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Last edited:
I agree with the bold :yep:

SongbirdB, I suggest that you clarify your hair and make sure your hair is clean and product free (no serums, no protein conditioner!), and then try the porosity test. If the hair still takes more than 2-3 min to sink or it doesn't sink, then you make want to look into changing your shampoo for a while. Because you hair is not taking in any moisture at all, I suspect that you hair's pH is either 4.5 or lower, which can happen sometimes. Conditioning shampoos that have cationic conditioners (such as Motions Lavish or Keracare Hydrating/Detangling) generally have a higher pH (5-6) and will help to open then cuticle layers up. But you have to realize that this may take a few washes before you'll correct it, so have patience.

If I remember correctly, you and I discussed on Fotki that we might be hair twins, so I want to confirm that you have fine textured strands, right? If so, then this won't take as long as you think; fine hair generally doesn't have many cuticle layers.

When you go to rinse your hair well prior to your shampoo, how long does it take for your hair to get saturated with the water? Being aware of the time it takes now can help determine if the porosity issue corrects itself later. So if after switching shampoos and/or doing a corrective treatment, you notice your hair takes less time to get wet in the shower, then you are on the right track ;)

I also wanted to add that those who want to try the color treatment to help open the cuticle layers should really try changing shampoos first, just because some people will have better results than others, not to mention the fact that haircoloring is a chemical services, and there are other factors that come into play to make this a viable option to correct porosity. If you are unsure just ask one of the knowledgeable ladies on this board (like Gymfreak :sekret: lol!)

Oh, and as far as the ACV rinse...if you have seemingly stalwart strands, ACV's not gonna help. ACV rinses are meant to lightly seal the cuticle, which is the opposite effect we are going for. Products that are slightly more basic than the hair are necessary for hair that is naturally lower in pH.

ACV only modifies the pH a little. So if you condition the hair, which has a natural pH somewhere around 4.5-5.5, with a pH balanced conditioner and then rinse with water (pH 7), the hair's going to go up a bit. ACV will bring it back to the normal range. Any drastic changes that need to be made will come from a stronger product. I know Porosity Control conditioner is often mentioned, but it has it's place too, and cannot always solve the problem. But for simple issues, it is great :)

Good information. I've been noticing that it takes my fine hair a while to get wet before applying my shampoo. Even after I wring my hair after washing, it doesn't drip much or stay really wet for long. Is this an issue?

Oops, that would be for overly porus hair.....For low porosity you are going to have to try to open the cuticle up some. Try using heat when you condition to help pentration. Also, coloring your hair makes it more porous...I am not saying dip your head in peroxide :lol: but a demi permanent rinse would help open up the cuticle some. This is why people who color their hair usually see more body from it, since the color makes it more porous.

Also, make sure your strand tests are performed on clean hair and perform all 3 porosity tests to know what you have for sure..
HTH

Is this why my pressed hair never lays flat? It is flat when I run the comb through it and then it fluffs up something awful. It is so full of body, it looks like I have 15 pounds of weav sewon on my hair. I guess I need to correct the porosity before I press the next time.

Thanks. I have some Duo-Tex which is a low ph protien conditioner. I already use ACV and Baking soda when I CW. I need to do a goor protein treatment anyway. Do you think this will be enough? Or do I need/have to get Porosity control.

I had thought about doing a henna/amla treatment to cover my multitude of grey in the top/front of my head. How does that effect the hair's porosity?

Last edited:
Is this why my pressed hair never lays flat? It is flat when I run the comb through it and then it fluffs up something awful. It is so full of body, it looks like I have 15 pounds of weav sewon on my hair. I guess I need to correct the porosity before I press the next time.

Thanks. I have some Duo-Tex which is a low ph protien conditioner. I already use ACV and Baking soda when I CW. I need to do a goor protein treatment anyway. Do you think this will be enough? Or do I need/have to get Porosity control.

I had thought about doing a henna/amla treatment to cover my multitude of grey in the top/front of my head. How does that effect the hair's porosity?

Before you look at your porosity, what do you use when you press your hair?

If you have products with low pH's then you don't need to buy porosity control. Since switching my brand around I don't really use it anymore since my conditioner has a pH of 3.5-4.5. Henna is acidic so if you have overly porous hair then it will help correct it.

If your hair is floating forever than you have low porosity and you are going to have to try to open the cuticle up some. I'll pm you more details

My hair is floating forever...I put all of my broken hairs in the toilet and then NEVER went down. But I already have a semi-permanent black rinse that took REALLY well on my hair. I started cowashing a couple times a week with Nexxus Humectress and I use NTM Silk leave in and oils to seal. But it hasn't been working. Didn't know anything about porosity until just now. Please help:yep:.

My hair is floating forever...I put all of my broken hairs in the toilet and then NEVER went down. But I already have a semi-permanent black rinse that took REALLY well on my hair. I started cowashing a couple times a week with Nexxus Humectress and I use NTM Silk leave in and oils to seal. But it hasn't been working. Didn't know anything about porosity until just now. Please help:yep:.

Whats your overall regime? Products and everything?

Kenra Shampoo/Paul Mitchell Shampoo
Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner

NTM Leave In
Kemi Oyl or JBCO to seal

Nexxus Humectress for cowashes
NTM Conditioner for DC

1. Cowash with Nexxus every few days and rollerset or some protective style

2. DC once a week with NTM Conditioner and rollerset using:
Water
NTM Anti Frizz (some kind of leave in)
Fantasia IC Serum

Thats about it, I was trying to use up these products. But they don't seem to be working out to stop the breakage.

I think if your hair swells or puffs up in humidity then it is porous enough lol,, my hair will not sink leading me to think its non porous but the fact that it will swell in humidity leads me to believe that it is porous becuz non porous hair wouldnt absorb the moisture enough to swell up in humidity...... so i would think twice b4 trying to increase the porosity in my hair......

Kenra Shampoo/Paul Mitchell Shampoo
Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner

NTM Leave In
Kemi Oyl or JBCO to seal

Nexxus Humectress for cowashes
NTM Conditioner for DC

1. Cowash with Nexxus every few days and rollerset or some protective style

2. DC once a week with NTM Conditioner and rollerset using:
Water
NTM Anti Frizz (some kind of leave in)
Fantasia IC Serum

Thats about it, I was trying to use up these products. But they don't seem to be working out to stop the breakage.

I know I talked to you in PM land but I'll post it again here....Try just clarifying first.

bumpin.....

For those with low porosity (the strands that do not sink on the water) What have you found helpful? Does clarifying work?

Back