Ponytail - Breakage - Beware

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
[ QUOTE ]
Bublnbrnsuga said:
Wow.I experienced the same thing when I used to wear buns alot,but I used the hair bands with the balls on the end and the metal in the center (OUCH). Needless to say,my hair broke off something terrible in the center-you would have thought I had layered my hair (looked cute,but was damaged). Anyway, my beautician did not know what was causing it and neither did I,but now I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it in this same spot? This just seems like an odd place for it, looks like someone cut a chunk with scissors

Thats exactly the kind of breakage that I got from wearing a ponytail all the time (my style, since, the age of 9). You definately can grow that back out, but it does take patience and time. I just trimmed normally and it caught up after awhile, but I had to stop 'dwelling' on it. Also, you will need to 'baby' that area (careful detangling, etc.) but avoid the tendency to load it up with product, so you don't have any additional breakage from buildup.
Whatever method you decide to use to continue protective styling, try twisting it in the opposite direction that you normally do by habit. When you go the opposite, you're forced to think about what you are doing, and then you can keep it just loose enough. For me, absentmindness was my biggest problem
blush.gif
because I'd twist it up without really thinking about what I was doing.

You'll be able to fix that section up, just have patience
smile.gif

I looked at the pics, I don't think its real bad. But it does need to be addressed. Just curious...do you think that that area may have been overprocessed in the past?
I know thats totally random, but just wondering...

I just asked because sometimes overprocessing in the past can make for stress down the line when you are growing out your length, because those areas (ends) are weaker. But if thats not the case, it must just be the ponytail
ohwell.gif

What steps do you take to form the bun?

Well I do a ponytail with the scrunchie then wrap the around dounut style and put a pin in.

Most times I just do the scrunchie like two times mabye three if i tuck the ends in it the last time. This is a ball more than a bun.

In addition to switching up the location of your ponytail and not tying the elastic too tight around wet or dry hair, make sure your elastic doesn't have any metal on them. The metal tends to catch & pull out stray hairs when you take it out. Over time, this can lead to significant breakage. I've been using Goody "ouchless" elastics for years and have had no problems, hope this helps!

MM, I'm experiencing this very problem. The thing is I want to wear protective styles, but I'm not good at buns. My hair isn't long enough to twist the hair around itself, but I hate the breakage in my nape. Maybe it will just take practice.

Tbird, how long is your hair?
One alternative is taking one of those foam bun things from the BSS and using fake hair to wrap around it, then putting it on and fanning your own hair around it. Ive seen many members here with that style.

Also, my hair isnt all that tick and its layered to my bun looks puny when I wrap it around itself. My solution was that Scuncii Magicbun thing(its in my album) and it makes a world of difference. My bun is much fuller AND it looks really natural.

Back