Votes: 8 3.4%
  • Hair Washing

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • baggying

Votes: 11 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IMFOCSD

I recently made a thread pertaining to SL hair and how to get over the hump. I decided to make a poll this time so I/we can see the results of what is most beneficial in growing hair past SL.

I meant to click in the multiple choice box so just pick the one you feel is most beneficial and if you decide to post a reply you can give TWO more methods that are beneficial as well. If you are not past SL (like me) you can still give your opinion, the more the marrier.

sweetcoco

Last edited:
:grin:Hello! I voted for protective styling because it is very important to keep the hair up at this length if you want it to grow past SL. If not the hair will just brush up on everything and this will cause breakage...at least this was the case for me. My other two votes would be deep conditioning and then regular MILD protein treatments. The stronger ones should only be used every 6-8 weeks. HTH!

Hey, I voted protective styling too...bunning, in particular, is what helped me (more than once, unfortunately) get over the SL-hump.

I've learned that my hair loves the protein. When I regularly use protein treatments, it grows like wildfire. As soon as I skip a couple weeks, it starts shedding like crazy.

It's not just one thing, it's a combination of everything.

Moisturization is really the key in growing hair. Dry hair breaks off. Moist hair does not.

wash n go's (with mainly co washes) got me from neck length to almost armpit in around 8 months, I just always made sure to add moisture to the ends as much as possible. I recently started having problems with tangling/matting so Im exploring other methods. Im afraid of combing out the hair I worked hard to retain when it gets knotted up. I think the wash n gos were more effective when it was shorter because the shrinkage allowed it to not brush my shoulders/clothing, but now it touches my shoulders even with shrinkage so I dont think it would be as effective for growth purposes anymore.

Last edited:
I voted protective styling (bunning). DCing 2x a week and moisturising helped me also.

I voted for protective styling, too... The only time I've gotten below shoulder length is when I put my hair in braids/weaves/etc for months on end. Unfortunately I'm doing yet another cut to my APL hair. ;_; I'd probably be WL by now if I didn't keep cutting it off!

I am going to stay in braids until I get to APL

My avatar was taken in June, I am now at full SL. :grin:

I voted for protective styling, but if no-heat had been an option that's what I would have chosen. My hair hovered around should-length for yearsss, but when I gave up heat it just took off. I've done this successfully two or three times (after BCs to go natural). Protective styling is a close second. Although I don't feel that it is necessary to keep the ends completely covered, keeping my hair up in puffs, pony-tails and updos has helped a lot.

I was at (or a little longer than) SL for YEARS! I reached APL and beyond when I started protective styling, weekly deep conditioning and daily moisturizing/sealing.

My hair growth took off when I left the curling irons alone almost three years ago. I finally made it to mid back length this year and it didn't take me a lifetime to get there.

I think protective styling is the most important thing to get past shoulder length. I wish I had started regularly protecting my hair sooner. :wallbash:

My hair is APL and I can't really pick one of those choices in the poll. I think being gentle to your hair ends is the key to retaining length, whether you wear protective styles or not, wash your hair or not, moisturize/condition or not, use heat or not. So I guess my choice would be avoiding rough handling/excessive manipulation is the most beneficial to getting beyond shoulder length.

My hair is APL and I can't really pick one of those choices in the poll. I think being gentle to your hair ends is the key to retaining length, whether you wear protective styles or not, wash your hair or not, moisturize/condition or not, use heat or not. So I guess my choice would be avoiding rough handling/excessive manipulation is the most beneficial to getting beyond shoulder length.

This makes so much sense...

Don't be mad at me, it wasn't one thing that mad the difference. Here's a summary of things that took me from shoulder to APL in 9 months.

1. Treat your hair very gently & focus on the ends of your hair (it's the oldest most worn part). If I do/use something that breaks even one strand I stop doing/using it.
2. I condition wash my hair in a braid to stop tangles & it works great.
3. Reduce Manipulation with protective styling. I do french rolls, buns & clamps 50% of the time until the demacration line starts getting delicate around 6 - 8 weeks. I only use silky hair ties and pins with plastic tips and clamps that won't tear out your hair. I use my fingers for styling I rarely brush and never comb. I only use a comb to part my hair when I flat iron.
4. Nightly wrapping with a silky scarf & sleeping on a satin pillow case
5. Condition washing at least 2x a week (I do about 5x a week)
6. Moisturizing cream/lotion every morning and evening occasionally I seal with vaseline.
7. Reduce heat styling to 1x a month or less (I use heat 1x every 2-3 months) Never ever blow fry. Instead I air dry or use a hooded dryer on cool - medium heat.
8. As my new growth developes my demacration line get delicate (around 6 - 8 weeks. Reduce manipulation by exclusively bunning and use hydrating conditioner & moisturizers to keep the hair soft so it won't break. I occasionally use a protien conditioner to strengthen the demacration line but hardly ever.
9. Stretch Relaxers. I can easily 12+ weeks (hubby doesn't like it) now that my hair is soft from frequent condition washing & conditions that hydrate and sofen my hair.
10. Oil Rinses 1x every 2 weeks to end tangles.
11. Drink alot of water, eat healthier, and exercise.
12. Try different products (cautiously). I am no longer a pj but I have followed the advice of other with of good results.
13. Keeping a hair journal saved me so many times. It kept me motivated and focused. My journal also helped me remember the steps I followed for pretty hair styles :look:.

I voted protective styling too. However, staying away from heat really helps too.

You are so right about low heat use, another young lady also stated the importance of low/no heat use. I use heat about 2-3 times a month, I want to stop completely but it's so hard to do.

Don't be mad at me, it wasn't one thing that mad the difference. Here's a summary of things that took me from shoulder to APL in 9 months.

1. Treat your hair very gently & focus on the ends of your hair (it's the oldest most worn part). If I do/use something that breaks even one strand I stop doing/using it.
2. I condition wash my hair in a braid to stop tangles & it works great.
3. Reduce Manipulation with protective styling. I do french rolls, buns & clamps 50% of the time until the demacration line starts getting delicate around 6 - 8 weeks. I only use silky hair ties and pins with plastic tips and clamps that won't tear out your hair. I use my fingers for styling I rarely brush and never comb. I only use a comb to part my hair when I flat iron.
4. Nightly wrapping with a silky scarf & sleeping on a satin pillow case
5. Condition washing at least 2x a week (I do about 5x a week)
6. Moisturizing cream/lotion every morning and evening occasionally I seal with vaseline.
7. Reduce heat styling to 1x a month or less (I use heat 1x every 2-3 months) Never ever blow fry. Instead I air dry or use a hooded dryer on cool - medium heat.
8. As my new growth developes my demacration line get delicate (around 6 - 8 weeks. Reduce manipulation by exclusively bunning and use hydrating conditioner & moisturizers to keep the hair soft so it won't break. I occasionally use a protien conditioner to strengthen the demacration line but hardly ever.
9. Stretch Relaxers. I can easily 12+ weeks (hubby doesn't like it) now that my hair is soft from frequent condition washing & conditions that hydrate and sofen my hair.
10. Oil Rinses 1x every 2 weeks to end tangles.
11. Drink alot of water, eat healthier, and exercise.
12. Try different products (cautiously). I am no longer a pj but I have followed the advice of other with of good results.
13. Keeping a hair journal saved me so many times. It kept me motivated and focused. My journal also helped me remember the steps I followed for pretty hair styles :look:.

Thanks EbonyHairedPrincess,

This is very informative, how can I get mad...you are silly. We are here to help one another so all advice/information is welcome, even if it is a whole page long...lol

Back