POLL: FLAT IRONING DAMP HAIR

Would you (have you) tried flat ironing on damp hair?

• NEVER!

Votes: 67 62.0%
  • I need more convincing that its not more damaging than a "dry iron"

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • never tried it, but I'd like to

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • I do it regularly

Votes: 11 10.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've done it on accident a few times when my hair wasn't completely dry. I always hate it. My hair doesnt get straight enough and comes up poofy, stiff and dry feeling. I always end up washing it again the next day.

I voted never because I just recently read somewhere that you should make sure your hair is completely dry before applying heat. Im sorry I cant remember where and what the reason is but I will keep looking:rolleyes:
I think it has something to do with how the hair is stretched due to it being wet and then when heat is applied it keeps it in that stretched state which is damaging to the hair. I could be wrong but I do know I read your hair should be completely dry first.

Last edited:
do you have a hood dryer? that is definitely a better option than a handheld blow dryer.

I do. but I don't like using it when I flat iron. lol
I know that's terrible, but I only flat iron sporadically - and I almost always air dry my hair on any other occassion. I don't have the patience to air dry and flat iron -- I know, bad.

I only haul out the ionic dryer when I'm doing rollersets (that happens about as often as a Sasquatch sighting) or some perm rods or something.

I voted never because I just recently read somewhere that you should make sure your hair is completely dry before applying heat. Im sorry I cant remember where and what the reason is but I will keep looking:rolleyes:
I think it has something to do with how the hair is stretched due to it being wet and then when heat is applied it keeps it in that stretched state which is damaging to the hair. I could be wrong but I do know I read your hair should be completely dry first.

I wonder if the ladies that get awesome results, minus the damage/breakage have thicker strands....

I used to think my hair was thick...but now, I'm not sure if its just densely packed (a lot of it) vs. each individual strand being thicker.

hm. :perplexed

^^ thank you kindly :O)

after all the years of mistreatment, my hair took a turn for the better this year - thank goodness!

On saturday I got a relaxer and my bestfriend used a babybliss steam iron to do my hair. I really like the results and would have it done again!

okay, watched her videos earlier tonight....and Iris is a trip!! lol

I loved her and her vids, and I can see that it is very possible to do damp to straight styling without damage. But I'm still not sure this is for me...

To me, it seems more time consuming to do repeated strokes with the flat iron or hot comb. Maybe its all in my head though, and I prefer breaking up the drying and straightening segments?? :perplexed

The one pro though, that Iris mentioned was less manipulation with the blowdryer...but I think I'm just going to try Pinkskates tension/blow drying method vs. my normal blow dry with the denman.

Thanks for all the responses and advice ladies!

And feel free to keep it coming, it seems like a fair number of ladies are curious about this method of straightening (like me)!

I don't believe i'm necessaRILY WORTHY OF lhcf MEMBERS FOLLOWING ME ON THIS BUT RIGHT B4 SHTOW DID this last year i believe( i had already began to use this tech.) and the results are if done acertain way just like they say. I've been transitioning since last mar 08' since i founf the forum. So i believe my ends were already damaged/weak. I still only flat iron this way BUT i did trim about a month ago some really scraggly ends(relaxed straight)But ladies i had been pretty much willing to lose this hair to go natural(but i love the results better than dry flat ironing) SHTOW i love your hair!!! BTW i just became a member last month.

I washed and towel dried my hair two weeks ago. Then I flat ironed it while damp. My hair was so light. All I used was a heat protector by VO5 and my cheap Walgreens flat iron by Relvon. I loved the results. I have never got my hair that light and soft. I just wish I knew how to curl it with the flat iron. Didn't want to over do it by using a curling iron also.

I do it on my hair as well as my 6year old daughter and have been doing so for about 6 months. it infuses moisture back into our dry hair. It really helps and we've experienced absolutely no issues. I wish I would have done this a long time ago.

Back