Please tell me what I bought!!!!!!

rosie

Okay, so I went to my local african store yesterday to get my lb of shea.
I also got some coconut oil, which I've bought before.

The guy in the store was new to me and kept asking me how I knew so much about african stuff. Where did you learn about african care (hte shea butter and the cocnut oil).

I was questioning him about the shea because it was a tannish yellow in color and usually when I get it from him, it is a greenish color. It still felt the same and smelt the same. He said this batch was just as good as the rest and came from Senegal. I believe him. They got the good stuff. It has a strong smell to it, which I don't mind, but I dilute it for my hibby and kids.

Anyway. There was a 1/2 gallon jug of a red oil sitting witht he coconut oil. The label says Palm oil. 100% pure palm oil. No preservatives. Brand name Seneba and distrubuted by Faal Trading Co.

I bought it. It is very orange red and a thick oil. My hands were a reddish orange color when I rubbed some into my hair.

Is this the red palm oil, regular palm oil, or palm kernal oil?

What is the difference between them and what can I do with it for my hair?

It sounds like the red palm oil that many have talked about. It could also be the palm kernal (or nut) oil.

It is supposed to be wonderful for your hair. Use it as a prepoo...like an oil treatment. It restores resiliency, softness and shine. There are many posts about it here.

Ojon Restorative Treatment is 100% Palm Kernal oil and I swear by it. It is 10 times as expensive and the red palm oil, though. I read on the posts that the red palm oil can stain bedding and towels, but it washes out. So for now, I've been sticking with the more expensive Ojon. I am interested in trying the red palm oil, though.

rosie said:
Okay, so I went to my local african store yesterday to get my lb of shea.
I also got some coconut oil, which I've bought before.

The guy in the store was new to me and kept asking me how I knew so much about african stuff. Where did you learn about african care (hte shea butter and the cocnut oil).

I was questioning him about the shea because it was a tannish yellow in color and usually when I get it from him, it is a greenish color. It still felt the same and smelt the same. He said this batch was just as good as the rest and came from Senegal. I believe him. They got the good stuff. It has a strong smell to it, which I don't mind, but I dilute it for my hibby and kids.

Anyway. There was a 1/2 gallon jug of a red oil sitting witht he coconut oil. The label says Palm oil. 100% pure palm oil. No preservatives. Brand name Seneba and distrubuted by Faal Trading Co.

I bought it. It is very orange red and a thick oil. My hands were a reddish orange color when I rubbed some into my hair.

Is this the red palm oil, regular palm oil, or palm kernal oil?

What is the difference between them and what can I do with it for my hair?

You bought Palm Oil. It's the oil made from crushing the entire husk and nut of the palm tree fruit, it's red, and turns a little waxy in cold weather.
Palm oil is reddish because it contains a high amount of betacarotene. It is used a lot as a cooking oil and is a component of many processed foods. Boiling it a few minutes (or rather heating it) is a very smoky affair that makes the oil a lot less thick and lightens the color, by destroying the carotenoids. Palm oil is one of the few vegetable oils relatively high in saturated fats (such as coconut oil) and thus semi-solid at room temperature.

I grew up with palm oil used in a lot of our dishes and I remember it having a distinct smell, which I really can't describe. It wasn't strong, just light and nutty. My dad would mix in palm oil with a lot of his lotions, and I believe my mom used it in her factory when she owned a soap making company.

I use Red Palm oil that I got from Puritan's Pride and coconut oil as a pre poo. It melts in your hands the way coconut oil does. My hair LOVES this stuff. I usually put a heating cap on for 30 minutes or so and it soaks in nicely.

So far, this mix is the least expensive and most effectice treatment for me dry hair.

Thanks.

Okay, So today i'min my bathroom looking at my jug of Palm oil.

I figure, I'll use a little on my ends in the baggie tonight. (I am currently in minibraids - all my hair).

So I give the jug a shake and ...

the top flies off and oil goes everywhere. My cream color walls now have this big orange streak down it.

See what had happened was that DH thought it was barbeque sacue and smelled it. He didn't put the top back on it all the way, so now I have amess on my hands.

Clorox cleanup spray cleaned the orange off, but the grease stain is there. Okay, this might be another thread.

Back