Please...start the stylist off if your gonna go to a salon!!!

lilamae

Okay so it's labor day weekend and I wanted to look cute. :rolleyes: So I decided to head over to the salon for a so fresh and so clean clean flat iron. I get in the shampoo chair and here we go....

Washed once, heavy on the poo, lots of scratching and rubbing my hair together. :sad:I let it slide

Washed a second time:blush: more scratching and rubbing. I'm like okay..whatever

Conditioning time...approximately 1.5 minutes!!!:nono: I'm thinking " I'll make up for it at home"

then it's time to comb my hair out AND THAT'S WHERE I DREW THE LINE!

As soon as I felt that nearly fine tooth prickly brush thing goin through my hair from top to bottom ripping out my strands I turned around like : "unh unh, no that aint gonna work. You got a shampoo comb around this mug?" I'll comb it out myself.

So I combed out my hair and sat under the dryer thinking of how the next time I go to the salon I will wash, deep condition, comb out and dry my hair myself. I'll come in that mug with some sanex strip wrapped around my head AND I'm bringing my own heat protectant to put on before I get flat ironed. If she says something I'm just gonna be like:look:

Damn shame I gotta do all that but thats just what I gotta do.

Do you have Dominicans out in Oakland? Frankly, it sounds like going to one of their salons. LOL For all that trouble, just do your own care and go for a relaxer if you get relaxers.

Okay so it's labor day weekend and I wanted to look cute. :rolleyes: So I decided to head over to the salon for a so fresh and so clean clean flat iron. I get in the shampoo chair and here we go....

Washed once, heavy on the poo, lots of scratching and rubbing my hair together. :sad:I let it slide

Washed a second time:blush: more scratching and rubbing. I'm like okay..whatever

Conditioning time...approximately 1.5 minutes!!!:nono: I'm thinking " I'll make up for it at home"

As soon as I felt that nearly fine tooth prickly brush thing goin through my hair from top to bottom ripping out my strands I turned around like : "unh unh, no that aint gonna work. You got a shampoo comb around this mug?" I'll comb it out myself.

So I combed out my hair and sat under the dryer thinking of how the next time I go to the salon I will wash, deep condition, comb out and dry my hair myself. I'll come in that mug with some sanex strip wrapped around my head AND I'm bringing my own heat protectant to put on before I get flat ironed. If she says something I'm just gonna be like:look:

Shoot, by the time you do all that, you could just finish it off at home for free.

How did it turn out? I hate how they want to spend all that time washing our hair but don't want to use enough conditioner and don't want to leave it on long enough. I hope in the next year I can find a good stylist, sometimes I miss getting my hair done.

I let my girl know from the first day what I expected, wanted from her and how I will get up and leave if I feel things aren't working out for me at that time.

I'm glad OP that you told her...good for you!

I went it to the salon to get a twist in the front and flat iron the back. My hair was already washed and conditioned, I sat in the chair, and she starting saying your hair is super thick, im like oh I know. Then she begins to blow dry. Okay NP. Then she says again, your hair is really thick, Im like ok, yeah I know. Now im getting skeptical, cause she is scarring me, then she says well im going to blow dry in portions. Okay do what you gotta do. One side blow tried. Then she takes this comb and my head start yanking, after about 5 minutes, I got up and ask what are you doing, and why are you using the fine tooth comb on my head. My hair is thick you know that, can you use a wide tooth comb. She grab a wide tooth comb and begin to going to war, combing the wet hair and dry hair together, I got up paid her 5 dollars and left. I had a handful of hair on the floor. Then I look around at her other clients they were weaved up and the others hair were very thin. Her daughter was like 5years old with weave in her head, and no hair around the edges. Then hairdressers wonder why they only see business on the weekends.

So even if the start the sylist off you still got to finish, my hair was already washed and conditioned, and she still had problems combing my head. You go thorugh all of that jusdt finish yourself. Nobody know your hair better than you do.

Last edited:
I have an appointment to get my hair flat ironed today, and they told me that the wash was complimentary. I've been at home contemplating whether or not I want to wash, dc, protein treatment, etc at home instead. Thanks for this thread. You've helped me make up my mind. I'm just a little concerned about getting it combed out though since I'm transitioning. I'll bring my wide tooth comb, so maybe that'll help.

This is exactly what happened to me at my last salon visit...VERY UNNECESSARY ROUGHNESS!!!!!!!! However, I was not bold enough to stop her from detangling...I did move my head away from her and commented on how she needs to use a wider tooth comb to detangling my hair. I wish I would have stopped her, because I lost A LOT of hair!:wallbash:

girl every time i think about going to the salon i get into a frenzy i need to go and get my hair shaped and maybe get a wrap while im at it but im afraid ill end up in jail and bald headed after she gives me a haircut instead of a trim? i dunno..ill hav eto think about what i shud do

I have an appointment to get my hair flat ironed today, and they told me that the wash was complimentary. I've been at home contemplating whether or not I want to wash, dc, protein treatment, etc at home instead. Thanks for this thread. You've helped me make up my mind. I'm just a little concerned about getting it combed out though since I'm transitioning. I'll bring my wide tooth comb, so maybe that'll help.

If you are nervous about it, I would do all the washing, dc'ing, etc at home. Detangle and blowdry to your satisfaction and then put the hair in 2 loose plaits. When they take the braids down there should be no reason for them to need to be roughly combing your hair because it will have already been combed out by you. I would also still take your shower comb :yep:

i'm scared to even try puttin a stylist in check. i'm jus not the type of person. dont like gettin looked at w/ the "**** please yo hair aint sheet" face.

if-and i do mean IF- i ever go to a salon, i'ma have a portfolio at my consultation of everything i do from mid-neutralize protein treatment to what comb to detangle with. i'm dead serious. she gon know my regimen from top to bottom. bring my own products and everything.

besides, all i need a stylist to do is make what i do look professional, ya know? i dont need the extra damagin b.s.

Wow just saw your photos your hair is GREAT!

i'm scared to even try puttin a stylist in check. i'm jus not the type of person. dont like gettin looked at w/ the "**** please yo hair aint sheet" face.

if-and i do mean IF- i ever go to a salon, i'ma have a portfolio at my consultation of everything i do from mid-neutralize protein treatment to what comb to detangle with. i'm dead serious. she gon know my regimen from top to bottom. bring my own products and everything.

besides, all i need a stylist to do is make what i do look professional, ya know? i dont need the extra damagin b.s.
:lachen: Girl it is difficult cuz they think they know everything:nono: But I figure either I leave uphappy and dont say anything or vice versa, ya know?

This is why I haven't let a stylist near my hair since it was relaxed. Now that it is texlaxed it is super curly and needs much patience to detangle. I will NEVA trust anyone else to do it correctly! I am thinking of getting a trim and a few long layers in the near future...You bestbelieve a sister is walking in having already washed, dried and flatironed my own hair...if the stylist can't deal with that, or asks me to start all over, they will not be cutting my hair!!!

OP your hair is beautiful!!!

I went through something similar in June and I said no more! I go to the salon very infrequently and the last time I went I was still relaxed so I completely forgot about all the shampooing, pulling, small tooth combs...

So I went again in July and this time I went to a different stylist. She was probably thinking I was crazy when I brought my own Dominican products with me (I am scared of somebody putting a relaxer in the deep conditioner LOL) and I brought my Denman brush. I detangled my own hair and made sure they used a heat protectant. The only thing I didn't like was that they blow dried it, I only like rollersetting and not so much direct heat like that. It was late in the day and I think they just wanted to finish with me. I have thick hair so by the time she was done it was like 45 minutes later. She didn't save any time right there LOL :rolleyes:

I'm buying a CHI flatiron in September!!

Back