Please Slap me and show me this thread...

Mdmommy99

..if I ever again say I'm going to double-strand twist my hair. The last time I double-strand twisted I vowed to never do it again because my hair seems like it wants to lock automatically and I have fine strands that break when I'm trying to un-do the mess.
Then I saw a double-strand thread recently and decided to try again using the tips in it. I made sure my hair was well moisturized and I put a rod on the end to keep the ends from knotting together.
I swear within two days my strands were stuck together and holding onto one another for dear life. I have single strand, double strand, triple strand...any kind of knots that you can think of. I don't know if somehow it remembers five years of being locked and just likes being like that, but when my strands meet they don't want to part. The funny thing is that when I was actually trying to lock my hair it took me almost a year for them to solidly lock.
I'm taking them out, trying to be very careful but I'm still losing a lot of hair and my hair is breaking and it's killing me. I don't know why my hair does not like this style but it doesn't. Just hoping this doesn't cause me a real set back.
Moral of the story: Don't do things that you know your hair doesn't like just because they work for other people- I just wish I had learned this sooner :wallbash:

Aw man I'm sorry you're dealing with that mess/frustration.

You definitely can't always try things cuz it works for others. You gotta stay true to YOUR hair.

Good luck with the detangling. Are you doing it on slippery conditioner soaked twists? do you have a detangling product? Cowboy Magic is the sh*t if you need a product.

I'm just using my cowash conditioner ( I used Garnier Fructis) Where can I get this Cowboy Magic? I don't think I've ever seen it.

I dunno, i actually got it thru a naturally curly meetup and product swap but it's amazing.

if your cowash condish is giving you slip then go for it!! s-l-o-w-l-y

Sorry you're frustrated. Take your time and you'll be done with it sooner than later.

My hair is the same....very fine and tangles easily. It matts up at the demarcation line and as i'm also a heavy shedder detangling is just silly although the Ouidad comb helps alot.

I find i cannot wear small plaits/cornrows/twists. They have to be pretty big otherwise there is hell to pay.

My style for the past two months has been two large cornrows down the sides of my head. I vary the style every week but its the best style whilst i transition.

If i wear a braid out the plaits have to be large ones not lots of little ones otherwise it's tangle city.

eta - oh and it doesn't matter what type of condish or how much i use it doesn't make a difference to how easy detangling is. Ive not yet used any condish that gives enough slip that helps the comb glide through my tangles.

I have however noticed that drying and styling is a whole lot easir if i use a serum. That is now a must for me.

Last edited:
My hair is the same....very fine and tangles easily. It matts up at the demarcation line and as i'm also a heavy shedder detangling is just silly although the Ouidad comb helps alot.

I find i cannot wear small plaits/cornrows/twists. They have to be pretty big otherwise there is hell to pay.

My style for the past two months has been two large cornrows down the sides of my head. I vary the style every week but its the best style whilst i transition.

If i wear a braid out the plaits have to be large ones not lots of little ones otherwise it's tangle city.

eta - oh and it doesn't matter what type of condish or how much i use it doesn't make a difference to how easy detangling is. Ive not yet used any condish that gives enough slip that helps the comb glide through my tangles.

I have however noticed that drying and styling is a whole lot easir if i use a serum. That is now a must for me.

I am realizing the same as the bolded. Right before this I had small cornrows. It wasn't as bad but my hair was still very tangled. I think I'm going to stick to twist outs with big twists and straight styles for a while.

I have the same problem....

I think I need to do a couple of things....I only developed this over the summer because when I first started doing this I didn't have these problems...What has helped is:

1. I add HE LTR leave in on the ends only when I am twisting....I saturate the end, and when I take it a part, it doesn't tangle...It also helps protect the ends when I wear my hair down.

2. Now that my hair is longer, protecting the ends is key, so I have to wear more up-do's to keep the hair off the shoulders and rubbing the clothes--which promotes splits.....

3. Which brings me to #3.....I am a summer shedder, and apparantly after having braids the 1st part of summer I slipped on the trimming. Next braid install (next year) I will do a full 1/2" trim rather than dust ( Gained almost 2 inches in 8 weeks cause it sheds more but grows faster in the summer)...I HAVE slowed down the shedding with black tea rinses (I realized it was shed hair because I was losing a full piece of hair from the root...rather than the little short pieces which is breakage from splits....The shed hairs don't all come out at once...so what I saw was when twisting damp hair, i'd get to the end and have a few long and short pieces in my hand that broke off).

4. So back to the trimming....You may have split ends right now, that needs to be remedied...A good trim...(you can go conservative and do 1/4", or bold with 1/2" or more) may help with the problem you describe.....

I also have 4B coils but fine hair (dangerous hair combo), and its densly patterned...so it LOOKS thick and course, but is quite fragile...(amazingly, my 3C hair in the back doesn't split or shed as much as the type 4 areas.....)

Sooooo. I said all that to say: You don't necessarily have to give up...you need to treat your problems...which isn't twists....your breakage is the problem....I started twisting in the winter...where my hair THRIVES...no shedding, and hardly any splits...and I was on TOP of my regimen. I get lazy in the summer....:)

I have however noticed that drying and styling is a whole lot easir if i use a serum. That is now a must for me.[/QUOTE]

Amen to bolded........What also has helped is cold blow-drying to about 80% dry and using the serum for twisting in the summer.....In FL its running 100 degrees or so even after 8-9 PM so its been helpful.

Back