Please Respond-I need Help!!Self Relaxing

delp

:wallbash: :whyme: Finally got all the things need to relax. Decided on Affirm Regular. But I have the following questions:

1. Since my scalp is very sensitive should I use Vaseline instead of Protecto? Protecto seems to light/thin to protect the skin. Would Vaseline interfere with the chemical.

2.How do I do the back? Do you basically feel. Using/picking up a mirror every few minutes seems difficult?

3. Found out my losey stylist did a corrective relaxer with a no lye and my hair is straight/dye and natural/dye. Should I just cut everything off and start over? If not, could you suggest a good regime of conditioners/... so, I don't used a heavy protein every week. Is there hope? Can you do a second corrective relaxer? I do not trust anyone to do it for me.

I used Vaseline and I still burned :confused:. Well me scratching my scalp didn't help. Can't you get a friend to help you to do the back? Just a thought.

I pre-section and clip my hair, applying cholesterol to the previously relaxed hair. I go by feel. I take a section, use the tint brush and put relaxer under the hair, flip it down and put it on top. I go thru til all the sections are done. Then I go back, unclip and smooth till I'm done. I have at least 32 sections all over my head.

i base my scalp with leave in conditioner, then I would procees w/ vaseline for hairline, ears, and neck. I wouldn't get burned and my scalp were safer. If u are nervous about self-relaxing, don't do it. If u do self-relax, try to leave yr hairline area for last. It is the most sensitive spot....well, it for me it was.... :Blush2: Hope everything turns out ok. :grin:

i agree. start in the back. the hairline processes faster due to bodyheat.

i dont like self-relaxing b/c i cant do the back without burning myself. but the people i talk to say to put your finger in your scalp, and then apply the perm below, on the new growth.

Hi Delp! :wave:

I work on each section individually. 20 mins each, about 3-4 sections. I apply an oil to my length and Ampro Sensitive Scalp Creme as a base. I always burn and this time I didn't. :yep: I clip each section then apply my relaxer with a toothbrush. Since each section takes 20 mins. I take my time and use a mirror to check every now and again. I rinse, apply conditioner and then proceed to the next section. I do my edges of each section, last...

Like Champagne_Wishes suggested, you can get someone to hold the mirror in place or help apply in the back.

HTH-

~op~

I think you've gotten some pretty good suggestions.

I would only add the following:

-Start at the area where your hair is most course, but always do the hairline last. My hair is most course at the top/middle of my head, so when I make my 4 sections, I start at the center of each part.
-Vaseline is a pretty good base for the hairline for me, but I generally make sure my hair is oiled a few days before I relax- either with WGO, or grease. By the time I relax, the oils have penetrated pretty well, and I never have burning (and I use Lye).
-I'm sure you know this, but NO SCRATCHING days leading up to your relaxing process. I wouldn't shampoo either for a few days. This will minimize burning.
-Be sure to use a timer so you don't over-process. Also, remember which section you started with this time, so you can start with the last section you did next time.

Here is a link to my instructions in case you need more detail:
http://journals.fotki.com/SouthernGirlz/

You'll have to scroll down a bit to get to relaxing tips.

HTH!!!
SG

Back