Please help why does my hair break off more......

Teja

I am natural and I flat iron my hair now and then, I have noticed that when my hair is flat ironed it does not break at all but when it's in it's natural state (curly) in breaks like crazy I don't know if this is normal but every time I run my fingers through my hair, I have hair of all lenghts in my hand !
Someone please tell me what to do:perplexed!

Hey Guys,

Just checking back in!I have gotten my breakage problem (wet hair) under control... I have been bunning my hair for the past month and some and have done very little to manipulate my hair.
I DC every sunday and co wash three times a week and apply a Aphogee leave in conditioner and always moisturize I noticed that my hair is not breaking half as much as before!
I really believe now that consistency really is the key!

Last edited:
This exact thing happens to me. I tried to six months to wear my hair natural, plus washing my hair twice weekly. I got more breakage than I had ever seen before. I think it happened for me because my hair is 4a and fine, and the curly hairs twisted and broke on themselves, snapped from tangles and got super dry. Now I just go back to what worked for me in the past: I wash every two weeks, flat iron and press the roots, and finger comb and generally leave it alone until the next wash day.

My experience has been that when I wear my hair curly, I have to make sure that I moisture then seal. That should keep it from breaking. When it is in it's curly state, after I've styled it, I do not handle or manipulate it for the rest of the day. I also make sure I keep my hair well conditioned and use protein when needed.

I am natural and I flat iron my hair now and then, I have noticed that when my hair is flat ironed it does not break at all but when it's in it's natural state (curly) in breaks like crazy I don't know if this is normal but every time I run my fingers through my hair, I have hair of all lenghts in my hand !
Someone please tell me what to do:perplexed!

I can't tell you what to do cause the same thing happens to me. Maybe it's becuase when the hair is straight the broken hairs just fall out with out us noticing but when curly they are stuck in the other hair till it gets taken out. :perplexed

I can't tell you what to do cause the same thing happens to me. Maybe it's becuase when the hair is straight the broken hairs just fall out with out us noticing but when curly they are stuck in the other hair till it gets taken out. :perplexed

I wonder...but I doubt it though I always finger comb my hair and there is not a strand laying around anywhere!
Maybe I will be able to retain more length if I keep my hair straight, it seems my hair stays more moisterized when straightend I don't want to cause damage though!

I have this same problem, but I am only using heat 4x this year, for length checks. I think I'll try to go a bit longer between co-washes and see if that helps. Otherwise, I'm just going to stop manipulating my hair.

I'm not natural... yet, but am transitioning. I do however have a curly pattern that can get extremely dry even when it was fully relaxed. It sounds to me like you need to stay on top of your moisture game... especially during these colder months but actually all the time. Not grease but moisture and hydration from within the shaft.

this happens to me too!

Im texlaxed and when my hair is wet I get much more breakage than when its dry.
When my hair is straight/dry it seems to be so strong and doesnt take any mess, lol

Well hell it seems like alot of ladies are going through this ish!
I'm just waiting for someone to come along with the cure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know. I think it has more to do with when the hair strand is curly...moisture has a harder time going down the length of the strand versus straight hair. I guess that's why naturals need more moisture...and relaxed heads can benefit from protein.

I'm just throwing it out there. Not an expert. I guess on those days that your hair isn't bone straight, up the moisture...perhaps.

people say naturals need more moisture but in addition to that hard core protien every 4-6 weeks seems to have made me retain even more length...like it adds an extra layer of protection.
bumping for the op................

im transitioning and i notice the same thing it scares me to loose so many hairs when i feel like im doing everything right. using an egg prepoo has helped me alot though

people say naturals need more moisture but in addition to that hard core protien every 4-6 weeks seems to have made me retain even more length...like it adds an extra layer of protection.
bumping for the op................

Yeah the protein makes it more stronger so your hair is less fragile.

I think relaxed hair benefits from moisture as well.

I have the same problem, although I'm relaxed. I believe our hair is stronger because of the more cone-heavy products you use when flat-ironing.

I washed and flat-ironed and I could count maybe two hairs at most in the comb. So I wore it straight for 2-3 days and no more hair coming out at all. Then on day 3 I moisturized and had MUCH more hair in the comb/fingers after moisturizing and finger combing into a bun.

So this makes me look at moisturizing with the side-eye. I know it's important but why would I shed more when it's wet??? Maybe we should only moisturize the ends???? I'm confused :ohwell:

Maybe in curly state the breakage is more noticeable?

Like when I use to flat iron my hair I felt the same way that I was experiencing less breaking with flat ironed hair, but now I kind of think since it was so silky smooth I would comb and won't even notice a hair popping off. By the time I check the comb the strand fell some place. Only reason I even notice this because once when i was combing, i look at the comb saw breakage and said to my self .. I didn't even remember hearing a popping sounds or feeling any resistance.

I don't know the answer sounds like one big mystery to me.

Back