Please help the Salon addict - NEWBIE needs a regimen!

LisaLisa1908

What 40 looks like.
Hi ladies. I am a long time lurker, new subscriber. I have been on the boards as a lurker since the end of 2004, and I am ready to take the plunge and grow my hair for real.

A little about me:

I'm 34, very thick 3C/4A (I guess), and have had a relaxer since I was probably 4 or 5. I have had reasonably long hair all my life (except for a year when I cut off my damaged SL to a short stacked bob in 1995), and have been going to the same hairdresser since I was 13. I have been very lucky that he has been very focused on healthy hair, and he has been texlaxing me for a very long time now (when my hair is wet, it still has lots of wave to it). I get my hair washed, conditioned, deep conditioned, blown out and flat ironed every other week. I get touch ups every 12-14 weeks, and I've been geting streaks for the past six years. Currently I'm growing my streaks out and am wearing a Sebastian Colourshines rinse (a mix of three tones - see avatar pic). I do very little styling or care in between appointments, so at the most, I use heat on my own maybe once a month. I ponytail or wrap my hair every night and I sleep on a satin pillowcase. I get trims or layers cut in after every touch up. I would say my hair is very healthy; thick, shiny, and my biggest issue is probably scalp dryness, which I try to combat by using the Herbal Complex 4. My hair/scalp is very dry; I can easily use oil sheen, shine serums and Herbal Complex 4 with NO problem.

So you're probably asking, WHY ARE YOU HERE? Well, my hair, even though it grows well and I don't have breakage or anything like that, will NOT get past SL on the left side, and I get to ALMOST APL in the back, and I can't retain it any longer. I know everyone has a weak side and my left side is definitely it! Unfortunately, I am VERY hair challenged. I can count on two hands the number of times I've washed my own hair in the past 10 years (and had I not been FORCED to do my own hair while I was on medical year last year, it would be less than that). But I am tired of being dependent on my stylist and I REALLY want BSL for my wedding in September (or at least close). I am going to be on medical leave again in February, and will once again have to take care of my hair for eight weeks during that time (I am confined to my home and will not be able to drive or get around much due to the nature of the surgery I'm having).

I will be honest. I wear my hair down about 99% of the time (which is probably why it won't get past APL), and I don't even own a blow dryer. I know I don't moisturize UNLESS I'm bunning my hair in the summer, which I only do every once in a while. Like I said, I'm very dependent on my stylist, but I'm ready to grow my hair! I am looking for a regimen while I'm off that I can use to gain a few inches in my quest for BSL for my wedding. I realize that I am going to have to start doing more protective styling, and I'm going to have to start moisturizing in a BIG WAY. My hair FLAT OUT hates roller sets, and air drying takes HOURS if not DAYS for me, but I am willing to learn.

I am going to start the Ovation challenge in February, but aside from that, I NEED HELP with a REGIMEN! I am looking at using the following products; any advice would be greatly appreciated:

Pre-poo - EVOO, coconut, or vatika oil
Con poo - VO5 Coconut or Strawberries and Creme Conditioning
Conditioner - Nexxus Humectress
Leave in - Neutrogena Triple Moisture
Moisturizer/ends treatment - Profective Megagrow and Elasta QP Mango Butter
Scalp treatment - coconut or vatika oil

I'm a newbie to all of this: I am starting from scratch and would really appreciate some advice. I love my hair, I'd just like to grow it down my back. Really, besides retaining length, I have no other complaints.

All comments are appreciated! Thanks so much for stopping by.

LisaLisa1908

Welcome to LHCF Lisa! Well atleast you know what needs to be done so your off to a great start. I think incorporating moisturizing, protective styles, and airdrying might make a difference. Once you learn how to take care of your own hair it will gradually get easier. You never know, by the end of this year you might only visit your stylist for retouches. Happy hair growing!

Welcome to LHCF Lisa! Well atleast you know what needs to be done so your off to a great start. I think incorporating moisturizing, protective styles, and airdrying might make a difference. Once you learn how to take care of your own hair it will gradually get easier. You never know, by the end of this year you might only visit your stylist for retouches. Happy hair growing!

Thank you so much wheezy! You're one of the first ladies whose hair I really noticed. It's beautiful!

I would LIKE to get to that point of only going to my stylist for touch-ups, but I am AWFUL with flat ironing my own hair. It needs too much heat for me to do it properly, and I'd have to learn how to roller set or SOMETHING in between. If I could get down to seeing my guy once a month with heat, I'd be happy.

Thank you so much wheezy! You're one of the first ladies whose hair I really noticed. It's beautiful!

I would LIKE to get to that point of only going to my stylist for touch-ups, but I am AWFUL with flat ironing my own hair. It needs too much heat for me to do it properly, and I'd have to learn how to roller set or SOMETHING in between. If I could get down to seeing my guy once a month with heat, I'd be happy.
Give yourself time, you will. Just learn and keep at it. There's plenty of youtube videos out there and alot of members here now have accounts. So it can be possible, you're definitely in the right place to learn. Thanks for the compliment!

Hi Soror and welcome!!

Aggie and Wheezy definitely have you going in the right direction. I too was like you but now I only go to the salon for relaxers...the only style I can do is roller set..:)

There is a plethora of information out there!!!

Hi Soror and welcome!!

Aggie and Wheezy definitely have you going in the right direction. I too was like you but now I only go to the salon for relaxers...the only style I can do is roller set..:)

There is a plethora of information out there!!!

Thank you Aggie and soror! I just read some of Audrey's articles and feel a lot more confident about what to do. I am also going to invest in a heat conditioning cap, because I plan to do NO HEAT besides that for the eight weeks that I'm off. I will get my last touch up right before I go into the hospital, then I will come home and I plan to do Ovation 3x/week, and cowash on those days as well, and protective style (bun) and airdry. Is DCing twice a week sufficient?

Thank you Aggie and soror! I just read some of Audrey's articles and feel a lot more confident about what to do. I am also going to invest in a heat conditioning cap, because I plan to do NO HEAT besides that for the eight weeks that I'm off. I will get my last touch up right before I go into the hospital, then I will come home and I plan to do Ovation 3x/week, and cowash on those days as well, and protective style (bun) and airdry. Is DCing twice a week sufficient?

Yes - Audrey is "on it"!!!

2 times a week will be just fine and praying for your speedy recovery!!!!

Again, thank you guys so much.

After reading further, here's a regimen I think I can work with:

Pre-poo overnight - vatika, coconut, or EVOO with Ovation - 3x/week
Con poo - Suave Humectant - 3x/week
Moisture deep condition - Nexxus Humectress (30-45 min under heat cap, 2x/week)
Protein deep condition - Suave Humectant or NTM Daily (30-45 min under heat cap, 1x/week)
Moisture leave in - NTM Silk Touch - 2x week
Protein leave in - Elasta QP Oil Recovery (may not need if I'm doing Ovation?)
Daily Moisturizers - Elasta QP Mango Butter, Profectiv Mega Growth (alternate)
Seal - vatikia, coconut, or EVOO

Let me know what you think. Since I plan to do Ovation, I probably don't need as much protein, right?

Again, thank you guys so much.

After reading further, here's a regimen I think I can work with:

Pre-poo overnight - vatika, coconut, or EVOO with Ovation - 3x/week
Con poo - Suave Humectant - 3x/week
Moisture deep condition - Nexxus Humectress (30-45 min under heat cap, 2x/week)
Protein deep condition - Suave Humectant or NTM Daily (30-45 min under heat cap, 1x/week) Okay LisaLisa, the Suave Humectant is perfect as a quick rinse out conditioner or as a co-wash conditioner but not as a deep protein conditioner. I would recommend something like Aphogee 2 minute keratin reconstructor or even Nexxus emergencee for that. I am not familiar with the NTM Daily though.
Moisture leave in - NTM Silk Touch - 2x week
Protein leave in - Elasta QP Oil Recovery (may not need if I'm doing Ovation?)
Daily Moisturizers - Elasta QP Mango Butter, Profectiv Mega Growth (alternate) Hmmm, Profectiv Mega Growth has quite a bit of protein in it as well and I remember when I was using it this way, it left my hair very hard so now I only use it for 3 days on my ends to protect them just before a relaxer. I hear some ladies said that it's best used on damp hair to avoid that hard stiff feeling but I am not too certain about this as I have never used it that way. For a daily moisturizer, I use Ultra Black Hair (UBH) Lotion Creme Moisturizer by Cathy Howse, Kenra Daily Provision, BB Oil Moisturizer or WEN fig cleansing conditioner. Just a few examples for you and hope they help you a little.
Seal - vatikia, coconut, or EVOO

Let me know what you think. Since I plan to do Ovation, I probably don't need as much protein, right?

That is correct. You don't want to overload on proteins, just keep a close eye on your hair's reaction to everything you put on it to see how well it responds to each one. If it is feeling a little hard, then you know it may be time for a moisturizing deep conditioner and if there is too much stretch in it or it's feeling a little too mushy, then it's time for a protein conditioner, okay? happy hair growing honey:grin:.

Remember, don't try to go it alone, that's what we're all here for - to help each other along:yep:.

Welcome :wave:

One of the ladies has already given you the link to the SistaSlick article I was going to recommend for you to read as well.

In addition to that, visit her fotki, where she has tons of other great articles to help you with your journey. www.fotki.com/sistaslick

If you read the stickies, they lead to some of the most helpful threads for newbies.

I found www.growafrohairlong.com helpful when I first started too. This site is an informative resource for techniqe: proper handling, shampooing, combing...

I was natural when I started and www.motowngirl.com was my fave back then. Her site is great for concoctions, info on oils, etc.

I think one thing we don't realize about hair care, expecially salon haircare is that any hairstyling takes its toll on hair. I would visit the stylist less often. Try to be less style-dependent and more healthyhair-dependent.

LisaLisa1908,

In addition to the LHCF, I learned a lot about haircare from both Shamboosie and Carolyn Gray's books. Check them out at your local library or you can purchase them at amazon.com.

Shambosie gives you a good understanding of haircare and Carolyn Gray's book will help develop a good regimen.

Although, it does sound like you are on the right track.

Thanks so much ladies. You all are a wealth of information.

Aggie - thank you so very much. Since I'm planning to use Ovation, maybe I don't even need the protein deep conditioner at this point. I'll look into the Nexxus Emergencee instead if I do. I am using Curly Pudding as a daily moisturizer now (although I know a lot of LHCFers don't care for it) and it seems to work out okay, but I've heard really good things about the Elasta QP Mango Butter so I'll try that. I of course will update the board when I start this regimen (which won't be until late February).

LadyEsquire - thank you and I will definitely check out those links.

Chevelure618 - thank you, and like I said, I am a salon ADDICT. I have had a standing every other week appointment for the past 13 years, and prior to that, I went whenever I could. I have had really thick dense hair all of my life, and the only time I could ever deal with it myself was when it was in a short stacked bob. But I really want to grow my hair out, and I know that protective styling, moisturizing, and minimizing manipulation and heat are the way to go.

MissB - thanks for the great book recommendations. I will be going to the library later this week and will add those to my list.

****I should mention that last year when I was on medical leave and was doing my own hair, I did protective styles (wet bunning) and heavy conditioning and moisturizing and my hair grew two and a half inches in two months, so I know it can work. Unfortunately, I live in MI and it's FREEZING here, so wet buns aren't going to work all the time for me. I'm trying to make this a simple process, and hopefully this regimen will help, so I'm going to give it my best shot while I'm off and see if I can't take it into the summer. Thanks for all of your help; it is TRULY appreciated.

HHG,
LL1908

Hi i'm also a newbie but have been lurking for awhile, I know what works best for my hair, I have noticed that natural organic product work best for my hair with keeping it moisturized and healthy, my favorites AubreyOrganics Honeysuckle rose conditioner<~~ tha bomb seriously, you can order it from www.aubrey-organics.com, some good shampoos : Komaza Care Aloe Moisturizing Shampoo-www.komazacare.com. My hair has really thrived off these products. I hope this helps.

Hi i'm also a newbie but have been lurking for awhile, I know what works best for my hair, I have noticed that natural organic product work best for my hair with keeping it moisturized and healthy, my favorites AubreyOrganics Honeysuckle rose conditioner<~~ tha bomb seriously, you can order it from www.aubrey-organics.com, some good shampoos : Komaza Care Aloe Moisturizing Shampoo-www.komazacare.com. My hair has really thrived off these products. I hope this helps.

Glad to have you join us!!! :club:

Hi ladies. I am a long time lurker, new subscriber. I have been on the boards as a lurker since the end of 2004, and I am ready to take the plunge and grow my hair for real.

A little about me:

I'm 34, very thick 3C/4A (I guess), and have had a relaxer since I was probably 4 or 5. I have had reasonably long hair all my life (except for a year when I cut off my damaged SL to a short stacked bob in 1995), and have been going to the same hairdresser since I was 13. I have been very lucky that he has been very focused on healthy hair, and he has been texlaxing me for a very long time now (when my hair is wet, it still has lots of wave to it). I get my hair washed, conditioned, deep conditioned, blown out and flat ironed every other week. I get touch ups every 12-14 weeks, and I've been geting streaks for the past six years. Currently I'm growing my streaks out and am wearing a Sebastian Colourshines rinse (a mix of three tones - see avatar pic). I do very little styling or care in between appointments, so at the most, I use heat on my own maybe once a month. I ponytail or wrap my hair every night and I sleep on a satin pillowcase. I get trims or layers cut in after every touch up. I would say my hair is very healthy; thick, shiny, and my biggest issue is probably scalp dryness, which I try to combat by using the Herbal Complex 4. My hair/scalp is very dry; I can easily use oil sheen, shine serums and Herbal Complex 4 with NO problem.

So you're probably asking, WHY ARE YOU HERE? Well, my hair, even though it grows well and I don't have breakage or anything like that, will NOT get past SL on the left side, and I get to ALMOST APL in the back, and I can't retain it any longer. I know everyone has a weak side and my left side is definitely it! Unfortunately, I am VERY hair challenged. I can count on two hands the number of times I've washed my own hair in the past 10 years (and had I not been FORCED to do my own hair while I was on medical year last year, it would be less than that). But I am tired of being dependent on my stylist and I REALLY want BSL for my wedding in September (or at least close). I am going to be on medical leave again in February, and will once again have to take care of my hair for eight weeks during that time (I am confined to my home and will not be able to drive or get around much due to the nature of the surgery I'm having).

I will be honest. I wear my hair down about 99% of the time (which is probably why it won't get past APL), and I don't even own a blow dryer. I know I don't moisturize UNLESS I'm bunning my hair in the summer, which I only do every once in a while. Like I said, I'm very dependent on my stylist, but I'm ready to grow my hair! I am looking for a regimen while I'm off that I can use to gain a few inches in my quest for BSL for my wedding. I realize that I am going to have to start doing more protective styling, and I'm going to have to start moisturizing in a BIG WAY. My hair FLAT OUT hates roller sets, and air drying takes HOURS if not DAYS for me, but I am willing to learn.

I am going to start the Ovation challenge in February, but aside from that, I NEED HELP with a REGIMEN! I am looking at using the following products; any advice would be greatly appreciated:

Pre-poo - EVOO, coconut, or vatika oil
Con poo - VO5 Coconut or Strawberries and Creme Conditioning
Conditioner - Nexxus Humectress
Leave in - Neutrogena Triple Moisture
Moisturizer/ends treatment - Profective Megagrow and Elasta QP Mango Butter
Scalp treatment - coconut or vatika oil

I'm a newbie to all of this: I am starting from scratch and would really appreciate some advice. I love my hair, I'd just like to grow it down my back. Really, besides retaining length, I have no other complaints.

All comments are appreciated! Thanks so much for stopping by.

LisaLisa1908

Welcome to the :club: Join us!!!:lachen:

LisaLisa1908,

In addition to the LHCF, I learned a lot about haircare from both Shamboosie and Carolyn Gray's books. Check them out at your local library or you can purchase them at amazon.com.
I developed my regimen using Carolyn Gray's book, for the first year and a half. Literally everytime I was getting ready to wash, I'd open her book as a reference. Be forewarned, its a product-heavy regimen. I later learned to scale back on the products. But she does a good job balancing the protein and moisture products, esp for a newbie.

I think one thing we don't realize about hair care, expecially salon haircare is that any hairstyling takes its toll on hair. I would visit the stylist less often. Try to be less style-dependent and more healthyhair-dependent.

Best advice I learned was to treat your hair like fine silk. Handle it like fine silk, when you comb, stlye, wash, rest. I grew up in my mom's salons, so my hair was always being manipulated, on a daily basis. Even though it looked great, it constantly needed to be cut off because the ends could not withstand the constant heat and manipulation. Once I learned how to actually handle it: GENTLY, that only made a huge difference.

Last edited:
First off.. DEEETROIT!! LOL!

Welcome girl! I am a salon head as well, but I'm finally comfortable saying I know how to do my own hair..

With you being confined.. I would totally Keep It Simple.. stick with one set of products at a time (something I did not do) so you know what works.

Wet bunning is my protective style of choice in between salon appts.. it looks decent and I don't have to worry about keeping my hair moisturized when I'm doing that. Go get a sock bun from Sally's and that's a nobrainer and you can use your OCT as much as you like with it.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but it worked for me. For your stunted side..get a nice trim all over. I had the same issue.. my right side was like 3 inches shorter than the left.. I got a good trim in September and its grown so much. I believe this coupled with my new healthy hair regimen has helped even out my sides. I use "excra" MT or OCT on the short side as well and its caught up.

Good luck! I'm a newbie too, but I've learned a lot. Feel free to PM... I'm local too.

bump bump bump

Trying hard not to be a PJ, but some recommendations would be helpful.

*For a daily moisturizer for a thick texlaxed 3c/4a, is NTM good?
*Would anyone recommend Curly Pudding as a daily moisturizer on dry hair? I've been using it for the past few days and haven't noticed any buildup, and my hair seems to like it dry (I use it on wet hair to help my buns).

Thanks,
LisaLisa1908

I just wanna say heeeeeeeeey Lisa! :wave: I get my OCT tomorrow and I'm uber-excited. Did you find the Profectiv? I know someone mentioned that some folks complained that it made their hair hard because of the protein. It actually makes mine really soft and silky. Everybody's different though.

I just wanna say heeeeeeeeey Lisa! :wave: I get my OCT tomorrow and I'm uber-excited. Did you find the Profectiv? I know someone mentioned that some folks complained that it made their hair hard because of the protein. It actually makes mine really soft and silky. Everybody's different though.

Hey lady! Let me know how you like it. I'm going to get the Profectiv THIS WEEKEND, and if they have it at Sally's I'll get it today.

Back